What would you change in football?

Ashley17

Junk the League Cup. What's the point?

Junk the Champions League and bring back the old European Cup format – only champions qualify, all champions qualify, no group stage, just knock-out from start to finish. Europa League would then also become a decent competition instead of a bin for second-rate teams. And the crap situation resulting from a handful of clubs having a monopoly on CL money/qualification would be alleviated.

The old yank footie league (NASL) had some ludicrous rules like this. I think a team could get upwards to 9 points from a game depending on how much they scored.

Youth Soccer in the US has this.  You get 6 pts for a win, 3 for a tie and zero for a loss. You also get bonus points for each goal scored to a max of 3.  So a 3-1 win is 9 points for the winner and 1 for the looser and a 1-1 tie is 4 points each.  Tournaments offer a 10th point for a shutout.

Guest Roger Kint

I agree on limiting sending off players when a penalty is involved. A penalty is usually a good enough punishment, and getting a goal down and losing a player in the same play just kills a game.

What if they miss?

I agree on limiting sending off players when a penalty is involved. A penalty is usually a good enough punishment, and getting a goal down and losing a player in the same play just kills a game.

What if they miss?

They could have missed the one on one against the keeper, too. I'm fine with the sending off if it's really cynical (like the Taylor sniping incident), but regular fouling inside the box should just be a penalty.

The old yank footie league (NASL) had some ludicrous rules like this. I think a team could get upwards to 9 points from a game depending on how much they scored.

Youth Soccer in the US has this.   You get 6 pts for a win, 3 for a tie and zero for a loss. You also get bonus points for each goal scored to a max of 3.  So a 3-1 win is 9 points for the winner and 1 for the looser and a 1-1 tie is 4 points each.  Tournaments offer a 10th point for a shutout.

Sounds utterly, utterly shit.

Retrospective action to be taken against cheats is a good one.

I heard a similar suggestion - Have the Ref ask the player [henri] if they did something illegal [handled the ball], if they say no then award the goal, if yes then deny the goal. BUT If video replay shows that the player lied, then they are suspended/fined etc. I can see a million holes in that concept though.

I would be in favor of Post-Game review and action taken against offenders by a league panel.

Youth Soccer in the US has this.   You get 6 pts for a win, 3 for a tie and zero for a loss. You also get bonus points for each goal scored to a max of 3.  So a 3-1 win is 9 points for the winner and 1 for the looser and a 1-1 tie is 4 points each.  Tournaments offer a 10th point for a shutout.

Sounds utterly, utterly s***.

I think it's designed to separate teams in standings for short youth seasons of 8 or 10 games. It also rewards the scoring of goals, as winning 3-2 gains a team more points that winning 1-0.

Sounds utterly, utterly s***.

I think it's designed to separate teams in standings for short youth seasons of 8 or 10 games. It also rewards the scoring of goals, as winning 3-2 gains a team more points that winning 1-0.

The 'Goals Scored' column would do this.

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but I would change it so teams who fall out of champions league can't go in the Europa League.  Think it's a disagrace that failure is rewarded with a second chance in another competition. 

I can see what you mean, but I quite like that. Gives the Europa League a few more decent teams to watch.

Agree with what your saying, but I think it's really unfair on the teams who have worked hard to get through the competition only to be trounced by a big team that f***ed up in the Champions League.  Just seems really unfair.

It's also ridiculously disrespectful to Europa League teams that actually want to be in it. The CL drop-outs see it as a fucking punishment - be grateful you're in Europe at all.

My change would be applying the "Away Goals" only to the original 90 minutes - and excluding them from any extra-time.

The purpose of the Away-Goal rule is now redundant, and it hands the away team an unfair advantage during the Extra-Time period. Home team must win on agregate, away team can win or tie on agregate.

My change would be applying the "Away Goals" only to the original 90 minutes - and excluding them from any extra-time.

The purpose of the Away-Goal rule is now redundant, and it hands the away team an unfair advantage during the Extra-Time period. Home team must win on agregate, away team can win or tie on agregate.

Yep. Burnley were ripped off last season with it.

This could be a long post. :lol:

- Don't stop play for injuries (unless they're really serious, and I mean really serious) allow the physio to come onto the pitch and treat the player whilst play continues, a la rugby, etc.

- Review/Citing panels who retrospectively look at matches and hand out punishments for cheating that was missed by the ref at the time. Serious punishments for those who are caught, ie 5-game ban for diving and the player's wages for that period being given to charity.

- Re-introduction of the moving the ball 10 metres further up the pitch thing, with slight alterations. Players are allowed to speak to the referee, but they must show respect as any dissent or attempt to intimidate them will result in the ball being moved 10 metres closer to the goal, not up the pitch, but in a straight line towards the actual goal. If that takes it inside the 18 yard box then a penalty is awarded. If it does not; then the team whose freekick it is can choose to place the ball anywhere along the line from where the original offence took place to where the ball is now.

- In addition to the above each referee should be issued with a set of balls, not footballs; testicles. The should be told not to take any shit from the players and to issue yellow and red cards accordingly, safe in the knowledge that the authorities are not going to hang them out to dry if they do and someone like Fergie kicks up a stink about it. Also, if a ref makes a mistake they should not be demoted to a lower league, that should only happen to refs who consistently under-perform, people make mistakes. Finally refs contracts should state that they are required to be interviewed by the media after a game, although they should not be harangued, they should be prepared to admit mistakes and explain their take on any controversial decisions that happened during the game. If they do not take advantage of this opportunity to re-establish some respect for their profession then they should be chemically castrated and banished to live in a cave in the woods, only being allowed to return to society sporadically when the king requires someone to sing in a very high-pitched voice for some state-occasion or other.

- A video official who reviews things like penalty decisions and goal-line incidents, whist play continues. If they spot something then they can contact the ref via his headset and he can make a decision as to whether to stop play and go back, or not.

- Rugby style advantage rule that allows the ref to see if an advantage will occur, before stopping play for an offence.

Think that's it, got to go out now anyway.

- Review/Citing panels who retrospectively look at matches and hand out punishments for cheating that was missed by the ref at the time. Serious punishments for those who are caught, ie 5-game ban for diving and the player's wages for that period being given to charity.

NFL and NHL (I think) players who are suspended have their wages garnished.

- Re-introduction of the moving the ball 10 metres further up the pitch thing, with slight alterations. Players are allowed to speak to the referee, but they must show respect as any dissent or attempt to intimidate them will result in the ball being moved 10 metres closer to the goal, not up the pitch, but in a straight line towards the actual goal. If that takes it inside the 18 yard box then a penalty is awarded. If it does not; then the team whose freekick it is can choose to place the ball anywhere along the line from where the original offence took place to where the ball is now.

Would quickly eliminate dissent if it penalised the team.  Maybe the team captain would then take some responsibility for their teammates.

- Don't stop play for injuries (unless they're really serious, and I mean really serious) allow the physio to come onto the pitch and treat the player whilst play continues, a la rugby, etc.

- In addition to the above each referee should be issued with a set of balls, not footballs; testicles. The should be told not to take any s*** from the players and to issue yellow and red cards accordingly, safe in the knowledge that the authorities are not going to hang them out to dry if they do and someone like Fergie kicks up a stink about it. Also, if a ref makes a mistake they should not be demoted to a lower league, that should only happen to refs who consistently under-perform, people make mistakes. Finally refs contracts should state that they are required to be interviewed by the media after a game, although they should not be harangued, they should be prepared to admit mistakes and explain their take on any controversial decisions that happened during the game. If they do not take advantage of this opportunity to re-establish some respect for their profession then they should be chemically castrated and banished to live in a cave in the woods, only being allowed to return to society sporadically when the king requires someone to sing in a very high-pitched voice for some state-occasion or other.

- A video official who reviews things like penalty decisions and goal-line incidents, whist play continues. If they spot something then they can contact the ref via his headset and he can make a decision as to whether to stop play and go back, or not.

- Rugby style advantage rule that allows the ref to see if an advantage will occur, before stopping play for an offence.

spot on except the video official bit.

League Cup is turgid at times. Merge it with the Scottish League Cup, makes it a bit more interesting.

Agree totally.

Would go for that. Also do what the germans do in their league with regards to stopping rich owners coming in and buying the clubs. Would also like to see the sky monopoly abolished and TV money shared more equally around.

League Cup is turgid at times. Merge it with the Scottish League Cup, makes it a bit more interesting.

Agree totally.

Would go for that. Also do what the germans do in their league with regards to stopping rich owners coming in and buying the clubs. Would also like to see the sky monopoly abolished and TV money shared more equally around.

Yeah, the British League Cup. It would be a roaring success iyam.

I'd prefer it to be the other way around tbh. The game is fair during 180 minutes of football, but the home team in the second leg gets a big advantage if it goes to extra time, so to even that out, get the away goal rule in extra time only.

Guest Schmocky

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but I would change it so teams who fall out of champions league can't go in the Europa League.  Think it's a disagrace that failure is rewarded with a second chance in another competition. 

Cant agree more with this, you get knocked out then you shouldn't have a safety cushion. So what if the big teams are going to lose money because of it, they should have won there matches.

- In addition to the above each referee should be issued with a set of balls, not footballs; testicles. The should be told not to take any s*** from the players and to issue yellow and red cards accordingly, safe in the knowledge that the authorities are not going to hang them out to dry if they do and someone like Fergie kicks up a stink about it. Also, if a ref makes a mistake they should not be demoted to a lower league, that should only happen to refs who consistently under-perform, people make mistakes. Finally refs contracts should state that they are required to be interviewed by the media after a game, although they should not be harangued, they should be prepared to admit mistakes and explain their take on any controversial decisions that happened during the game. If they do not take advantage of this opportunity to re-establish some respect for their profession then they should be chemically castrated and banished to live in a cave in the woods, only being allowed to return to society sporadically when the king requires someone to sing in a very high-pitched voice for some state-occasion or other.

spot on except the video official bit.

Why, what don't you like about that? Would have prevented things like the Henry incident and there would be no delay to the game, which is the usual argument made against it.

And the ref interview bit, in fact.

I reckon ref's need to receive greater respect, part of that is controlling the players and the other part is allowing people to see them as human beings who are brave enough to explain their decisions and admit their mistakes. Every time a ref's done that it's been generally well received, if I remember correctly.

1) I'd like to see a salary cap like.

2) I'd also introduce a minimum of so many foreigners in each starting 11, though I think thats impossible due to some law or other.

3) I'd also like to see a Standing section at each stadium.

All 3 will never happen like.