Michael Owen (now retired)

Keefaz

One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?  

648 members have voted

1. 1. One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?

• I envy the deaf.

michael owen ‏@themichaelowen

Not being disrespectful when saying I wouldn't play in The Championship. Always said I wouldn't drop down the leagues like some have done.

After playing for Liverpool, Real Madrid, Newcastle, Man Utd and England I don't think I would enjoy that football sitting on the bench raking it in.

If a good opportunity doesn't come my way then so be it. At this stage of my career it has to be something that I'm going to enjoy doing.

I know I can still bang them in at the top level. I proved that nearly every time I played for Man Utd. At 32, still got a few years in me.

there fixed

As much as I dislike the c*** he could certainly do a job at this level, surprised QPR aren't in for him tbh.

surprised.. really?

maybe it has something to do with the fact that the little shit still expect 100k a week to sit in the physio room.

michael owen ‏@themichaelowen

Not being disrespectful when saying I wouldn't play in The Championship. Always said I wouldn't drop down the leagues like some have done.

After playing for Liverpool, Real Madrid, Newcastle, Man Utd and England I don't think I would enjoy that football.

If a good opportunity doesn't come my way then so be it. At this stage of my career it has to be something that I'm going to enjoy doing.

I know I can still bang them in at the top level. I proved that nearly every time I played for Man Utd. At 32, still got a few years in me.

Putting us above the Championship now, that's a turn-up for the books.

Totally finished at PL level. Interesting to see the spin start though. "17 goals in 18 starts" etc..

Here's who he got his goals against:

'11-'12: Leeds x2, Aldershot. (Both League Cup)

'10-'11: Bolton, Blackpool (League). Southampton (FA Cup), Scunthorpe (League Cup)

'09-'10: Wigan, City, WHU, Villa (League). CSKA Moscow, Wolfsburg x3 (CL)

"Bang them in at the top level" ffs. The odious little deluded cunt.

Guest BooBoo

Michael Owen is worthy of nothing more than one of those ghastly farts from hell that only show up after a whole weekend on the beer with little food. To his face.

Toad.

As much as I dislike the c*** he could certainly do a job at this level, surprised QPR aren't in for him tbh.

surprised.. really?

maybe it has something to do with the fact that the little shit still expect 100k a week to sit in the physio room.

Have you seen QPR's transfer policy?

Guest Stephen927

He's hardly going to come out and say he's finished at this level, when there's a good chance of a Premiership team coming in for him.

If he was still that capable, more than one premier league appearance last season would have fallen into his lap. The guy looks finished and his arrogance in regards to playing in the championship is laughable. He might well be able to play at the highest level but at his probable wage demands and injury record he is kidding himself and plain stupid to rule out the championship which is a higher standard than many european leagues imo.

http://www.themag.co.uk/the-mag-wire/has-michael-owen-visited-planet-earth-recently/

The amusing search by Michael Owen for a new club foolish enough to take him, has taken a new twist.

“If a good opportunity doesn’t come my way then so be it. I know I can still bang them in at the top level. I proved that nearly every time I played for Manchester United.

At 32, I’ve still got a few years in me. At this stage of my career it has to be something that I’m going to enjoy doing.

Not being disrespectful when I say I wouldn’t play in the Championship. Always said I wouldn’t drop down the leagues like some have done.

After playing for Liverpool, Real Madrid, Newcastle, Man Utd and England, I don’t think I would enjoy that football”.

Does Owen ever look in the mirror? Or if he does have a look, will he see a fresh faced 18 year old weaving stylishly through an Argentinian defence?

As opposed to a washed up striker, who had all the ability but no real love or commitment to his various clubs.

There must be something in the fact that even the average Liverpool fan has no time for him, even though he knocked in well over 100 goals for them. They also perceive him as somebody more bothered about playing for England rather than his club who paid his wages.

He’s totally wasted his career and as for his belief that he can, “still bang them in at the top level…proved that nearly every time I played for Manchester United”….only five Premier League goals in thirty one appearances over three years would suggest otherwise.

Michael Owen’s past has finally caught up with him and I doubt whether there will be much sympathy for him in the north east, or anywhere else for that matter.

It's not that he doesn't have commitment to any of his clubs, that's not a problem for me. Many players just play for the highest bidder.

The more troubling thing is that he doesn't seem to have any love for the game, or a desire to play.

He has been unlucky with injuries though, maybe he secretly knows that he's not capable of playing every week - hence his preference for benchwarming at a top club.

The more troubling thing is that he doesn't seem to have any love for the game, or a desire to play.

It all seems to be a matter of pride. Being on Man U's books allowed him to maintain the delusion that he was still a top player, even though he wasn't playing. His problem with dropping into the Championship is that he'd have to publicly admit that he's past it. He'd rather give up playing than do that, which as you say isn't a good reflection on him.

His best friend needs to have a word with him. He's fooling nobody and he's just making himself look stupid.

He really is such a twat. I used to think 'it's a bit sad all the injuries he's had and how much of an effect it must have had on his career' but the way he handles himself, his arrogance and his delusion is painful.

To think that since 2005 he's played only 100 professional matches is shocking. He's had injuries but it's the decision making that has ruined his career.

He's like the wizard behind the curtain in the Wizard of Oz, relaying an image of greatness and power above all others, until he is found out and is shown up to be worthy of absolutely nothing.

I for one hope that he gets a tonne of Championship offers and none from the Premier League - should he have any pride left, he'd accept an offer from a promotion chasing team and earn his final year(s) in the Premier League by attempting to fire them to the top of the Championship table. Of course, this won't happen - he'll either sign for a really shit PL team and play a dozen games before getting injured, or he'll merely retire and concentrate on the one thing he actually seems to enjoy, having shit racehorses.

I'm surprised he hasn't gone to QPR

I think if he had an offer from the likes of QPR he would still wait and see if a top 10 club comes in for him. He is probably too afraid of signing for a relegation threatened side in case he has to play Championship football in 13/14.

Guest firetotheworks

QPR won't go for him when Bellamy's a possibility. We replaced him with Owen and it showed the gulf between the two. Bellamy couldn't finish like Liverpool-era Owen, but he's been the far better footballer since.