Michael Owen (now retired)

Keefaz

One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?  

648 members have voted

1. 1. One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?

• I envy the deaf.

Guest Howaythetoon

As a pretty much lifelong Londoner this is a really interesting conversation. I think London can be daunting, overwhelming and downright hostile when you don't know too many people down here and you come down on a "solo" venture, like working without having a contacts base. If you go to university or school here, or start a graduate job with others at the same time - just anything where you have people to talk to and spend time with - then London is a fantastic place where you can create so many good memories. It's an incredible city for music, film, art, literature and theatre; it's a brilliant place if you are interested in history and architecture just by walking around, it's got a world-class intellectual reputation and a beautify university quarter; it's one of the best places in the world for any kind of dining, but especially market food; and it's one of the greatest places on earth to get p*ssed in. And that's not mentioning things like the beautiful parks, the absolute mega range of people you might meet and places/cultures you might learn about or things you might try.

But at the same time, the weather is just grim, for every lovely place there is an absolute dive just round the corner, there are far, far too many people, there are on obscene amount of pretentious people, hostile people, rude people, arrogant people and ignorant people. Lots of public infrastructure doesn't work and it's just expected as standard, especially parts of the tube which don't run sometimes for no reason and roadworks never end. Everything is stupidly expensive, especially rent which is obscene and council tax. It's really difficult to find a quiet moment for yourself or hear yourself think sometimes, and getting anywhere takes forever.

On balance it isn't in my top 5 cities, but it's in my top ten. I don't think you can just say "it's s***", I think you've got to be fairly oblivious not to be able to find something to your taste in London.

:thup:

Although I wouldn't say it was that expensive in terms of eating out etc. In fact due to the sheer diversity and quantity of places to eat, its actually cheaper than most places on that front.

The Tube is frustrating but great at the same time, for getting about. Buses are a nightmare due to the traffic and driving around, well, its a nightmare. It took me, last Friday, 1 hour to get to Twickenham from the North Circular Road due to traffic, even though its only 6 miles or so to my sister's.

Even taking my niece and her lad to their hotel which was 2 miles away from my sister's took 30 minutes to get there.

Taxis are a rip off though and very expensive and f you're not from the area or know the place well, they will rip you off or try to.

I also work a lot in London and find it can be very stressful and demanding due to how big the place is, how crowded it is and of course, the traffic. In that sense it can be very tough going.

There are also lots of grim areas. The wealth in London is held tightly by a very small minority and this is reflected in the areas. Chiswick for example is affluent yet around the corner Acton is a bit of a shit hole.

The people are not the friendliest either.

But there are some great places, some great parks and when the weather is lovely and you're not working, are with friends and family etc. there isn't many better places to be to be honest.

I used to hate London but the more time you get to spend there and the more you get used to it the more you can enjoy it. The key is to enjoy it and not get too hung up on the bad parts.

Oh, and it doesn't stink of piss!

As a pretty much lifelong Londoner this is a really interesting conversation. I think London can be daunting, overwhelming and downright hostile when you don't know too many people down here and you come down on a "solo" venture, like working without having a contacts base. If you go to university or school here, or start a graduate job with others at the same time - just anything where you have people to talk to and spend time with - then London is a fantastic place where you can create so many good memories. It's an incredible city for music, film, art, literature and theatre; it's a brilliant place if you are interested in history and architecture just by walking around, it's got a world-class intellectual reputation and a beautify university quarter; it's one of the best places in the world for any kind of dining, but especially market food; and it's one of the greatest places on earth to get p*ssed in. And that's not mentioning things like the beautiful parks, the absolute mega range of people you might meet and places/cultures you might learn about or things you might try.

But at the same time, the weather is just grim, for every lovely place there is an absolute dive just round the corner, there are far, far too many people, there are on obscene amount of pretentious people, hostile people, rude people, arrogant people and ignorant people. Lots of public infrastructure doesn't work and it's just expected as standard, especially parts of the tube which don't run sometimes for no reason and roadworks never end. Everything is stupidly expensive, especially rent which is obscene and council tax. It's really difficult to find a quiet moment for yourself or hear yourself think sometimes, and getting anywhere takes forever.

On balance it isn't in my top 5 cities, but it's in my top ten. I don't think you can just say "it's s***", I think you've got to be fairly oblivious not to be able to find something to your taste in London.

Although I wouldn't say it was that expensive in terms of eating out etc. In fact due to the sheer diversity and quantity of places to eat, its actually cheaper than most places on that front.

The Tube is frustrating but great at the same time, for getting about. Buses are a nightmare due to the traffic and driving around, well, its a nightmare. It took me, last Friday, 1 hour to get to Twickenham from the North Circular Road due to traffic, even though its only 6 miles or so to my sister's.

Even taking my niece and her lad to their hotel which was 2 miles away from my sister's took 30 minutes to get there.

Taxis are a rip off though and very expensive and f you're not from the area or know the place well, they will rip you off or try to.

I also work a lot in London and find it can be very stressful and demanding due to how big the place is, how crowded it is and of course, the traffic. In that sense it can be very tough going.

There are also lots of grim areas. The wealth in London is held tightly by a very small minority and this is reflected in the areas. Chiswick for example is affluent yet around the corner Acton is a bit of a shit hole.

But there are some great places, some great parks and when the weather is lovely and you're not working, are with friends and family etc. there isn't many better places to be to be honest.

I used to hate London but the more time you get to spend there and the more you get used to it the more you can enjoy it. The key is to enjoy it and not get too hung up on the bad parts.

Oh, and it doesn't stink of piss!

Having lived there I would say its great to visit, but a crap place to live, depending on what you want out of life. The one city I can`t wait to visit again is Paris.

Guest Howaythetoon

There are also lots of grim areas. The wealth in London is held tightly by a very small minority and this is reflected in the areas. Chiswick for example is affluent yet around the corner Acton is a bit of a s*** hole.

Oh, and it doesn't stink of p*ss!

Having lived there I would say its great to visit, but a crap place to live, depending on what you want out of life. The one city I can`t wait to visit again is Paris.

Aye, love Paris me. I'm going there again soon, can't wait!

RE London, it depends where abouts you live same with any City really.

There are also lots of grim areas. The wealth in London is held tightly by a very small minority and this is reflected in the areas. Chiswick for example is affluent yet around the corner Acton is a bit of a s*** hole.

Oh, and it doesn't stink of p*ss!

Aye, love Paris me. I'm going there again soon, can't wait!

RE London, it depends where abouts you live same with any City really.

Yeah I suppose, Paris though in the summer, you can`t beat it, especially the area around the Basilique du Sacré-Cœur

I'm 36 and will be properly visiting London for the first time in October, can't f***ing wait to be honest. I've been to the cup final and caught the tube from the station to Heathrow before but that doesn't count.

Just thought i'd hoy that in. :)

A bit of advice: wear gloves. You'll know why when you get there.

Err, why?  :undecided:

I love London. Lived here nigh on nine years now, apart from 6 months back in Newcastle last year.

I don't find it as intimidating, mental  or too busy as some have said. I love the diversity, the endless list of things to do and see, and eat and drink. I came down for uni, and have had a string of totally different jobs/career paths along the way. Right now I'm trying to figure out my next move, and may well find myself back in Newcastle full time sooner rather than later, but the only reason for this would be because I want to be closer to my family.

The whole North vs South thing is pretty boring, though. One's home, the other's an amazing place to live and work in for a bit, as a young/youngish/maybe not so young person.

As Interpolic touched on, the only place I really encounter any rudeness or major negativity is on the tube in the morning or after work. Some people are just c***s, and I love having a go at them from time to time.

I love London. Lived here nigh on nine years now, apart from 6 months back in Newcastle last year.

I don't find it as intimidating, mental  or too busy as some have said. I love the diversity, the endless list of things to do and see, and eat and drink. I came down for uni, and have had a string of totally different jobs/career paths along the way. Right now I'm trying to figure out my next move, and may well find myself back in Newcastle full time sooner rather than later, but the only reason for this would be because I want to be closer to my family.

The whole North vs South thing is pretty boring, though. One's home, the other's an amazing place to live and work in for a bit, as a young/youngish/maybe not so young person.

As Interpolic touched on, the only place I really encounter any rudeness or major negativity is on the tube in the morning or after work. Some people are just c***s, and I love having a go at them from time to time.

Totally agree, I've been in London just over 3 years and I still feel like I'm on holiday. It's an endlessly interesting place.

All I would say is that it gets much better once you know what to do and where to avoid at certain times. For example, walk up Oxford St and your walk is stressful and annoying, walk one street parallel and it's pleasant and quite interesting. There are many, many examples of this... the beauty is you can create exactly the experience you want if you're careful about stuff like that.

(Paris, New York and Istanbul are my other favourites, but obviously never lived in them)

I prefer Hamburg to London/Paris, tbh. Lots of cycle paths :)

SHIT loads of cycle paths, got sick of being told off for accidentally strolling into them.  :lol:

I have a terrible habit of doing that. Because I'm usually on my bike, I tend to use the cycle paths when I'm on foot, too.

Ian

same for me mate, I work in Savile Row and once you know where you are going to avoid Regents Street, Oxford Street and the obvious Leicester Square it is a 100 % better walk !

Are you a tailor?

• 2 weeks later...

So in his BTSport prediction he's tipping Norwich for 18th place and relegation.  Yet in today's Daily Mail he says:

"Norwich City: Last season's 11th place finish for Norwich must be respected, but finishing any higher this year is highly unlikely. The relegation scrap remains a possibility, but the club's new record signing, Ricky Van Wolfswinkel, from Sporting Lisbon should be able to propel the Canaries out of the danger zone and towards the top half of the table."