Michael Owen (now retired)

Keefaz

One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?  

648 members have voted

1. 1. One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?

• I envy the deaf.

Guest BooBoo

Loved how the commentators sounded so surprised at the reception that he got.

Ignorant fuckwits.

BTW, you can't do that! :lol:

To be honest I thought Ian Darke was really sticking the boot in.

"Newcastle fans singing about Michael Owen....BEING GREEDY!" :lol:

Stoke City are interested in signing Michael Owen.

It's a good match, considering neither of them have played football for the past few years.

Typical Stoke forward, tall, powerful.. wait STOKE!?

Stoke City are interested in signing Michael Owen.

It's a good match, considering neither of them have played football for the past few years.

Typical Stoke forward, tall, powerful.. wait STOKE!?

Probably Pulis sees him as last piece in the puzzle, someone to tap in knock downs from big powerful striker.

MICHAEL OWEN IS HEADING FOR THE GLUE FACTORY

A lot can happen in 14 years.

Once revered as a national hero for that goal against Argentina at France ’98, Michael Owen is now staring down the barrel of potential retirement at the fairly tender age of 32. He has had a career that has seen him take in spells at Liverpool, Real Madrid, Newcastle United and Manchester United, with an impressive goals-to-games ratio of 2.12 in the Premier League (and a not-too-shabby 2.76 in the Spanish La Liga).

So, precisely why is Owen now struggling to drum up interest in his services from Premier League clubs?

He recently went on record to say that ”if a good opportunity doesn’t come my way then so be it,” – hinting that he would retire from football should he not get a Premier League contract. Going abroad is always an option, but countries such as Turkey, Qatar, the USA and China are viewed as a graveyard for footballers, where washed up has-beens land for one last big payout. Pitching up in one of those countries would mean that he would indirectly be admitting he is finished as a top-level footballer. Owen is too big a name/good/proud/arrogant (delete as appropriate) to be dropping down to the Championship or lower leagues – leaving him in quite a barren-looking situation.

Despite making just one appearance for Manchester United in the league during the 2011/12 season, as a substitute against Stoke City in September, Owen raced onto the pitch after the final whistle went at Sunderland’s Stadium of Light clad in Manchester United’s blue and black away kit like a little kid at Christmas, (falsely) waiting to celebrate a league title that he had absolutely nothing to do with. Owen’s attitude is such that he would rather be sitting on the bench or in the stands for a big club like Manchester United, picking up his money, playing mostly League Cup ties and making fleeting substitute appearances in the more important competitions than playing week-in, week-out for a smaller Premier League team. The sort of money Owen will be asking for when coupled with this rather apparent lack of desire would probably put off most chairmen and managers with one iota of sense.

When appointed Newcastle United captain in the 2008/09 season by the soon-to-depart Kevin Keegan, Owen failed to score a single league goal after January as the team were relegated. Even his close friend Alan Shearer, who took over the position of manager for the final eight games of the season, dropped Owen for the final few games of his tenure after some woefully anonymous performances. The man wearing the captains armband simply didn’t seem to care – should he be relegated, he could always con another club into giving him a bumper contract. The impression one gets when watching Owen since his switch to Real Madrid, where his continual injuries started to take their toll somewhat, is that he has a heart the size of a pea and shows no genuine emotion or affection for his teammates, his club, or his teammates. He is motivated by money and self-acclaim, as opposed to his team’s potential glory.

No, Michael Owen only cares about three things – his horses, his own self-importance, and playing for England. His last appearance for the Three Lions was in a friendly defeat against France in 2008, and a recall to the international fold looks incredibly unlikely. Should he be unable to find a Premier League club willing to take him on now that he has lost his once-feared pace and has an infamous record for sustaining injuries, then Michael Owen may well beat some of his racehorses to the glue factory.

http://ennyoueffsee.wordpress.com/2012/08/10/michael-owen-heading-for-glue-factory/

michael owen Verified ‏@themichaelowen

If I've still not signed anywhere by this weekend I'm going on @SkySports to do Goals On Sunday with @chris_kammy.

9:20 PM - 15 Aug 12

Can't even fully commit to a tv appearance ffs. Ungrateful, heart of a pea cunt.

michael owen Verified ‏@themichaelowen

If I've still not signed anywhere by this weekend I'm going on @SkySports to do Goals On Sunday with @chris_kammy.

9:20 PM - 15 Aug 12

:lol: He's so desperate the little turd.

He's writing blogs now.

http://www.michaelowen.com/blog.html

To be fair the little knob head makes some fair points.

Can't agree with the role model thing though. I know the players and other sportsmen are normal people with extraordinary jobs, but they are at the pinnacle of the game, looked up to by a lot of people, their standing in their game/sport makes them role models in my opinion. I don't need to be a role model really only to my son, if I call a supplier of mine a twat over the phone, I'm not letting down a legion of fans. Where as if MO calls an opposing player a twat thousands/millions? of people many of them fans of his sees him do that in the public domain.

He's writing blogs now.

Can't agree with the role model thing though. I know the players and other sportsmen are normal people with extraordinary jobs, but they are at the pinnacle of the game, looked up to by a lot of people, their standing in their game/sport makes them role models in my opinion. I don't need to be a role model really only to my son, if I call a supplier of mine a t*** over the phone, I'm not letting down a legion of fans. Where as if MO calls an opposing player a t*** thousands/millions? of people many of them fans of his sees him do that in the public domain.

Nobody should look up to footballers.  Admire their skills as footballers but thats it.

Guest BooBoo

Compare and contrast:

- Those two rowing lads, devastated and repeatedly apologising after "only" winning a silver medal, despite giving everything.

- Michael Owen who failed to score a goal post January and barely broke sweat as Newcastle were relegated. As club captain, he couldn't even be bothered to apologise on the clubs behalf and instead brought out a glossy brochure to whore himself out of the club. "Relegation? Ha! I'm alright jack, see yas!"

The bloke is an arsehole.

He's writing blogs now.

Can't agree with the role model thing though. I know the players and other sportsmen are normal people with extraordinary jobs, but they are at the pinnacle of the game, looked up to by a lot of people, their standing in their game/sport makes them role models in my opinion. I don't need to be a role model really only to my son, if I call a supplier of mine a t*** over the phone, I'm not letting down a legion of fans. Where as if MO calls an opposing player a t*** thousands/millions? of people many of them fans of his sees him do that in the public domain.

Nobody should look up to footballers.  Admire their skills as footballers but thats it.

Easy to say but kids are naturally going to be drawn to them if they admire their skills. Obviously adults can get a grip but it's just the kid's mindset to find a hero of some kind to follow/emulate. I'm the first to say that footballers get given a tough ride by the public. But a line does have to be drawn, because the 'they just want to play football, they didn't ask for the role model image' doesn't wash. Whether they want it or not, they know that's what they'll get.

Compare and contrast:

- Those two rowing lads, devastated and repeatedly apologising after "only" winning a silver medal, despite giving everything.

- Michael Owen who failed to score a goal post January and barely broke sweat as Newcastle were relegated. As club captain, he couldn't even be bothered to apologise on the clubs behalf and instead brought out a glossy brochure to whore himself out of the club. "Relegation? Ha! I'm alright jack, see yas!"

The bloke is an arsehole.

:lol: :clap: That should get posted to his Twitter as a response.