Did Wolves concede the game to Man Utd

cp40

Guest firetotheworks

As i say, portsmouth beat them after a run of 3 losses previously. That was another relegation scrap.

If you're resting your whole team to play the worse sides in the league, somethings massively wrong. Theres no excuses for it atall.

Load of pap tbh .

Knowing Burnley were going to play Arsenal a day after theyd played themselves, is even more of a reason not to rest your team.

Theyd just beaten tottenham, they had a weakened Man U (who it turns out lost twice around this fixture) to play next and gave up ahead of time.

Unless you believe there to be a reasonable reason why they wouldnt have likely won this match against burnley also without resting players, there aint much of an argument.

It is far more likely that they could have won this game, whilst still testing Man U with a first team. They didnt even try, its a pathetic way to play & Mccarthys a joke  :thup:

It's not likely that they could have won this game whilst testing Man Utd. They weren't going to test Man Utd, anyway. They had already lost 4-0 and 4-1 to Chelsea and Arsenal which shows that the first team cannot compete with teams at that level so why not just give his players the day off and save them for Burnley? The strategy obviously worked as they're now up to 12th.

man utd have no defenders, it was the best shot wolves will ever have to get points at OT. Fulham destroyed man utd yesterday, they look shit atm, and looking at their results, they were coming off a home defeat to villa. hope wolves go down on the last day by a point. might make mccarthy look at the decision again.

Well done Mick, made the RIGHT decision for his team and are now on level points with Burnley.

Totally justified, but always was.

Shearer agreed with him BTW, but tbh anyone with a clue about football has done from the start.

To me, its not that a full Wolves team would have got anything at Old Trafford. It's more that playing in such a game and pitting themselves against the best should be what getting into the PL is all about. Much the same as teams who work all season to get a place in Europe, then when the games come around they rest the better players and moan about the number of games.

man utd have no defenders, it was the best shot wolves will ever have to get points at OT. Fulham destroyed man utd yesterday, they look shit atm, and looking at their results, they were coming off a home defeat to villa. hope wolves go down on the last day by a point. might make mccarthy look at the decision again.

OTOH, if they survive by a point, he'll probably be patting himself on the back for the points they just won against Burnley.

Guest firetotheworks

It'd be nice if we had an alternative universe just to show how they'd have gotten anything from playing against Man United, and how chasing their shadows for 90 minutes would have affected their match against Burnley.

No defenders or not Man United would have still won. Fulham cannot be cited as an example either btw, they're a very decent side.

Well done Mick, made the RIGHT decision for his team and are now on level points with Burnley.

Totally justified, but always was.

Shearer agreed with him BTW, but tbh anyone with a clue about football has done from the start.

Look forward to the day when there's no more teams playing proper first team players against Manchester United then, because then we'll finally not see results like when Villa and Fulham played them. God, that's horrible. Playing their best side against bloody MANCHESTER UNITED and getting POINTS?!?! :frantic:

Obviously for our first match the season we went down, Keegan also should have played our reserves. That's what football is all about!

It's not likely that they could have won this game whilst testing Man Utd. They weren't going to test Man Utd, anyway. They had already lost 4-0 and 4-1 to Chelsea and Arsenal which shows that the first team cannot compete with teams at that level so why not just give his players the day off and save them for Burnley? The strategy obviously worked as they're now up to 12th.

Thats what i disagree with. You cannot say they wouldnt test them atall, Man U have no central defenders. Fulham put 3 past them with no response, you think you can say with any reasonable conviction that theres no chance Wolves could have sneaked a goal & put a game on ?

I dont think so atall. As i said before, Burnley had crap results against Chelsea & Liverpool also. Still got a point against Arsenal midweek. We all have our views, i just hate defeatist attitudes. I dont see it as "logical", but i understand why some think it makes sense. I understand that some see it as a game more UNLIKELY to win.

But no chance do i think that means you dont give it a go anyway. Couldnt disagree with that more.

McCarthy succeeded. He was never going to beat Man United, and by resting his players against them he managed to win what was quite a 6-pointer against Burnley. Just because it wasn't Ferguson or Wenger, people feel the need to not praise him for it though.

It'd be nice if we had an alternative universe just to show how they'd have gotten anything from playing against Man United, and how chasing their shadows for 90 minutes would have affected their match against Burnley.

No defenders or not Man United would have still won. Fulham cannot be cited as an example either btw, they're a very decent side.

Youd have said the same about the game Burnley won 1-0 against them early in the season. It is never a good attitude to give up on things, no matter how unlikely it seems. Most of the time it wont go your way, sometimes it will. You wont get those sometimes unless you try & teams that dont bother dont deserve to get the chance in the first place. I have no respect for that myself, thats what it boils down to.

This is ignoring the fact Wolves had just beaten tottenham also btw.

If they can do one over on tottenham at this point, claiming theyd have no chance against a massively weakened Man U is just silly. Ofcourse they had a chance to get a point atleast out of it.

Got it spot on, fair play to him.

Underrated manager, glad to see it work out for him.

Under rated? Did you see the side he built at Sunderland?

Any man who can get a team that features Kevin Kilbane and Ian Harte on the left side to the World Cup, and more than hold their own while there, is a God as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe it's just living in Ireland, people seem to have this impression that the guy is completely hopeless when he's just not.

Guest Brummiemag

To me, its not that a full Wolves team would have got anything at Old Trafford. It's more that playing in such a game and pitting themselves against the best should be what getting into the PL is all about. Much the same as teams who work all season to get a place in Europe, then when the games come around they rest the better players and moan about the number of games.

Spot on

Whats the point in playing at the top level if you dont test yourself against the top teams - thats what supporting a team is all about. You can play teams like Burnley and Wigan in the Championship every week - may as well stop there with an attitude like McCarthy's.

I would rather get relegated than see Newcastle adopt that attitude

Guest firetotheworks

Spot on

Whats the point in playing at the top level if you dont test yourself against the top teams - thats what supporting a team is all about. You can play teams like Burnley and Wigan in the Championship every week - may as well stop there with an attitude like McCarthy's.

Then you obviously dont know what the point in that attitude is.

Spot on

How any fan would rather his team were relegated over any given reason is beyond me.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Spot on

How any fan would rather his team were relegated over any given reason is beyond me.

What's the reason to stay up if you won't play against the other teams?

Guest Brummiemag

Spot on

For me, pride, dignity and tradition count far more than grim survival in the premier league. Wolves lost all that on Tuesday night and I would be fucking livid if Newcastle ever thought about doing it.