Danny Simpson (now retired)

Guest toonlass

I wouldn't be against signing him because he's mediocre enough to not be a complete liability even a league up. You don't get relegated because your right back wasn't up to it, and I'd rather we spend our money on making sure we don't have the worst midfield in the league again.

If we got in a decent centre back I'd have Taylor out at full back without a doubt mind, Simpso will surely be no more than £500k and will be acceptable back-up.

S Taylor  Senderos  Colo  Enrique

That's what I'm hoping for next season, I think Senderos is about the best we could do if Ashley is still here over the summer which he probably will even if he puts the club back up for sale.

Simpson will get games though and would be good back up.

I really dont find the special thing about him, he would be horrible in the prem, I mean hes already average at this level, hardly offers much in attack except on the occasion, isnt exactly a world beater in defence either. Id rather we go for a better RB when were in / if were in the prem next season.

Anyone know why Simpson wasnt even selected for the bench last night?

I read that his agent was busy settling the Caldwell transfer to Wigan and that he was tying up loose ends on the Simpson deal to us. Wonder if he was kept out of the game for some reason regarding a possible breakdown in negotiations.

Guest Heneage

Anyone know why Simpson wasnt even selected for the bench last night?

I read that his agent was busy settling the Caldwell transfer to Wigan and that he was tying up loose ends on the Simpson deal to us. Wonder if he was kept out of the game for some reason regarding a possible breakdown in negotiations.

Give him a rest? He's played a lot of games.

Apparently there's a story in tonight Chronicle that any permanent deal for Simpson has gone up in flames. I'm not a massive fan of his but yet again we seem incapable/ unwilling to seal a permanent deal for a player.

Guest Heneage

Apparently there's a story in tonight Chronicle that any permanent deal for Simpson has gone up in flames. I'm not a massive fan of his but yet again we seem incapable/ unwilling to seal a permanent deal for a player.

Lie Ryder is claiming that it's to do with the wage being offered.

Guest johnson293

Sounds like he's priced himself out of a move here. Journal reckons that he is holding out till the summer when we can offer him premier wages.

Radio Newcastle were said that negotiations with Man Utd broke down.

If it is about wages, then its a shame as it seems (from his recent comments) that wanted to stay here - but maybe we were offering him low wages, due to his age and future potential?