Danny Simpson (now retired)

Guest toonlass

simpson was the first choice right back in a team that finished 5th, he played nearly every game until the end of the season. how many games did he keep us in through blocks and goal line clearances? i agree that we could do with an upgrade but its not all bad.

preparing myself for abuse now.

Here´s one. What if he would contribute in the offensive then we may would have been 4th.

Simpson is our weakest link granted, but seeing as we're stuck with him lets try and judge him impartiality as possible from now on.

He's wank, but it pisses me off how the whole stadium groans the instant he misplaces his first pass of the game, whereas other players can get away with a lot more fuck ups without the same level of criticism. Can't be doing much for his confidence.

simpson was the first choice right back in a team that finished 5th, he played nearly every game until the end of the season. how many games did he keep us in through blocks and goal line clearances? i agree that we could do with an upgrade but its not all bad.

preparing myself for abuse now.

Here´s one. What if he would contribute in the offensive then we may would have been 4th.

but how many points did he earn us last season? we could have been 6/7th. hopefully his offensive side of his game is something the coaching staff can work on this season or at least until January  ;) until then im ok to go with danny boy till then.

Simpson has more pace than Perch, but Perch reads the game better and is calm on the ball - never seems to panic, Simpson treats ball like hot potato, the key is having options all around Simpson to keep him playing very short passes. The main issue with him is his backing off or losing discipline, seeing the ball just hit the back of our net and him pulled up on 18 yard line is to familiar, imho he needs to just concentrate on defensive side and let the rest attack, yes it restricts any overlapping down that side, but does hatem really need it, would at least stop us getting ripped apart on counter which happens to often.

Santon is not perfect either but he does not back off, is good at carrying ball and retaining posession while his positioning is not always great, he does not constantly need the short pass option as his dribbling is quality, would like to see few crosses from that side though as him and jonas don't really provide that

Agree, have seen nothing to suggest that Perch would be a great attacking right back, bombing down the wing, which seems to be the main complaint against Simpson. He is obviously our weakest link in the first 11, but there is nothing to suggest Perch would be an improvement. And Pardew seems to feel the same, despite seeing them both training everyday, but sure, some people know better eh. We are stuck with what we have, lets just deal with it.

I wouldn't take much notice of people calling for Perch to play, it will be the same ones who wanted us to play Tavernier until the Atromitos away game.

It's nothing to do with Perch being a great attacking right back. It's everything to do with him being just as good defensively and the fact that he can pass the ball. On the floor. To our players. Like a footballer. Simpson can actually do this, I've seen him do it when Pardew takes the shackles off and we have more bodies in midfield to take the ball, but in a 4-4-2 Simpson isn't good enough on the ball and shits himself every time.

Agree, have seen nothing to suggest that Perch would be a great attacking right back, bombing down the wing, which seems to be the main complaint against Simpson. He is obviously our weakest link in the first 11, but there is nothing to suggest Perch would be an improvement. And Pardew seems to feel the same, despite seeing them both training everyday, but sure, some people know better eh. We are stuck with what we have, lets just deal with it.

I wouldn't take much notice of people calling for Perch to play, it will be the same ones who wanted us to play Tavernier until the Atromitos away game.

It's nothing to do with Perch being a great attacking right back. It's everything to do with him being just as good defensively and the fact that he can pass the ball. On the floor. To our players. Like a footballer. Simpson can actually do this, I've seen him do it when Pardew takes the shackles off and we have more bodies in midfield to take the ball, but in a 4-4-2 Simpson isn't good enough on the ball and shits himself every time.

Totally. Also one thing that can't be underestimated at the moment is Perch seems to playing with a lot of confidence unlike Simpson. So it might be a good idea to take Simpson out of the firing line for a bit.

Totally. Also one thing that can't be underestimated at the moment is Perch seems to playing with a lot of confidence unlike Simpson. So it might be a good idea to take Simpson out of the firing line for a bit.

I wouldn't take much notice of posters who are condescending to other view points without forwarding any arguments, strong or otherwise, it will be the same ones who talk bollocks.

It's amazing how the Perch-Simpson thing has come full circle.

Not really, people see things through whichever colour specs they've put on that morning. Neither Perch or Simpson were ever that bad, neither of them are top quality either.  You can interchange whichever one you like but neither of them are going to provide what a Debuchy would have going forward. Perch though is a very good defender IMO.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2012/09/01/danny-simpson-committed-to-playing-for-newcastle-61634-31741064/

In his first interview since talks over a new deal broke down, chief sports writer Mark Douglas finds Danny Simpson in bullish mood after the close of the transfer window.

FEW fall foul of the Newcastle United hierarchy in contract negotiations and emerge to tell the tale.

Danny Simpson, having seen talks over a new deal collapse at the end of last season, is not only still at Newcastle – he is now eyeing a future in black and white beyond the turn of the year.

In a remarkably frank interview – his first since the squad returned from the summer – Simpson insists that he never wanted to leave the club this summer and that he remains completely committed to playing for Newcastle.

That is despite a close season when he admits most of the fans approaching him in the street were only doing so to wish him all the best at his new club. Simpson can’t help but laugh when he thinks about it, and is realistic enough to know it might have looked like his days were numbered to outsiders.

He admits that talks with Alan Pardew over the close season brought the admission from the United manager that they were trying to sign his replacement in Mathieu Debuchy, but he never once doubted that he’d be on Tyneside come September 1.

Whatever your opinion on Simpson as a player, you have to admire his strength of character. He knows that not everyone is sold on him but happily interacts on Twitter, while he doesn’t shirk a single question as he contemplates an uncertain future.

“I’m still here, just call me the great survivor,” he smiles. “Personally, I never doubted I’d be here after the deadline despite everything that was being said.

“I’ve always said I’m happy here and I’ve got one year left on my contract, why would I want to leave a team that finished fifth last season and is now in the Europa League?

“When you look at all the players we’ve got I’m hoping for another great season here. I haven’t let the uncertainty unsettle me, it’s just the type of person I am, I just get on with it and give 100%.

“I knew I’d still be here because I get on well with all the lads and the manager.”

Simpson’s satisfaction at pulling on a Newcastle shirt has never been in doubt, but love of the club is not enough in the modern era.

The defender has endured tortuous negotiations over a new contract with United over the past nine months, changing his agent and turning down several offers because he wants parity of pay with other first-team regulars. At the moment there are no talks planned on his future and his deal will expire next summer, but he hopes that will change before January. He insists he is desperate to sign a new contract.

He has inevitably been aided by Newcastle’s long and fruitless pursuit of France international Debuchy, who would have been direct competition in the right-back slot.

“I spoke to the manager and I get on well with him,” he said.

“I knew he was trying to get other players in but that’s good for the team. We want a bigger squad as players, we want to progress in every competition and you need strength in depth.

“I never once let (the Debuchy chase) affect me, even though I knew players might come in. I enjoy training, I enjoy playing and I enjoy being at Newcastle. I’m happy here. I’ve said it and I’ll say it again.

“I don’t know if the fans think otherwise but I want to sign a new contract. At the moment, things between the club and me have stalled (talks) but there’s still a year left to work it out. The main thing is that this window is now shutting and I can concentrate on these matches.”

First up is Aston Villa tomorrow, following Thursday night’s successful clearance of a Europa League play-off.

And whatever you might make of Newcastle’s summer transfer business, they’re not looking too shabby on the pitch at the moment. Defeat to Chelsea wasn’t ideal but a two-legged victory in Europe was achieved largely with understudies in starring roles while Tottenham were downed on the opening day of the season.

Beat under-par Villa on Sunday and a tough start to the campaign will have been negotiated with relative ease.

He said: “We want to win to get six points and a place in the Europa League, which would be a very satisfying start to the season. We want SJP to be a tough place to come and we’ve already won our first two games here, so let’s make it three out of three. They’ve had two poor results, but they will come up here hungry and desperate for points. But we know when we’re at home with those fans, we’re tough to beat.”

Newcastle’s ultimate target is to try and finish fifth this season while also “attacking” one of the three cup competitions they are in.

Europe will be tough and the League Cup has thrown up the most difficult draw of all – Simpson’s former employers Manchester United. He boasts a decent record against them, having never lost to his former side.

For Simpson it is all about battling through – and blocking out some of the negative things that are thrown his way.

“I know fans have their own opinion of me but that’s part of football,” he said. “The main thing is that I’m here, I get on well with the lads, they want me to stay and the manager’s happy for me to be here. I’ve never seen it as a problem and I’ve now got a lot to look forward to, some big nights in Europe and I’m glad we got through on Thursday, that was the main thing.”

Simpson treats ball like hot potato

Watching Simpson on the ball is like watching Inspector Clouseau dealing with a bomb. How the fuck Debuchy isn't starting for us against Villa is completely beyond me.

Watching Simpson on the ball is like watching Inspector Clouseau dealing with a bomb. How the fuck Debuchy isn't starting for us against Villa is completely beyond me.

and we're off :lol:

:okay:

Doesn't play for us, mate. That'll be the main reason why he's not starting.

It's easy to forget we got him for next to nothing and he has been a good servant to the club, growing in stature as the club did and helping the club through some of its darkest days. It may be right that his true level is mid table Premiership, and we should have ideally got an upgrade in this window past, but there's no justification for all the Simpson vitriol on here sometimes.

It's easy to forget we got him for next to nothing and he has been a good servant to the club, growing in stature as the club did and helping the club through some of its darkest days. It may be right that his true level is mid table Premiership, and we should have ideally got an upgrade in this window past, but there's no justification for all the Simpson vitriol on here sometimes.

Yep. It comes through in that interview as well that he really does love being a Newcastle player, even if he does overestimate his value to the team. It's not his fault he's not Debuchy but he's still capable of doing a job. He won't let anyone down this season before he moves on.

I just don't like the lad at all, with the way it's never his fault on the pitch.

Add this to his footballing ability... :anguish:

Have to agree. Would be more willing to 'give him a chance' if he weren't such a prick at times.

Constantly looking to duck blame and I can't stand his "Well at least the real fans are out there!" with reference to EVERY bit of criticism he gets.

he here's until the end of the season now,.maybe longer.  lets just give the lad some support yeah.

getting bored of the slagging of this limited footballer, yes we know he's shit. 

He gets no stick on a match day so it's not like he's crap because of the pressure from the fans.

Getting behind him isn't going to help him improve as a player unfortunately.