Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

For the 2 points he's helped us gain he's cost us a lot more due to his constant inviting people inside, backing off, or being way out of position. He should not be in the first team.

How many points has he cost us?

The majority of the goals we concede come from our right-hand side. I can't count how many times this season Simpson has invited someone inside and they go on to score or assist someone else. Better yet, look at his lack of marking for the goals today, as well as his positioning, and you'll get the idea.

I'll not be as harsh as to put all of the blame onto him for today's loss mind, as the entire team were awful. I would say that he is prone to basic errors almost every game, though, and 7 times out of 10 he's involved, or at fault when we concede.

The majority of the goals we concede come from our right-hand side. I can't count how many times this season Simpson has invited someone inside and they go on to score or assist someone else. Better yet, look at his lack of marking for the goals today, as well as his positioning, and you'll get the idea.

I'll not be as harsh as to put all of the blame onto him for today's loss mind, as the entire team were awful. I would say that he is prone to basic errors almost every game, though, and 7 times out of 10 he's involved, or at fault when we concede.

It's all opinions anyway, I only find myself defending him because I don't think he's as bad as some make out.  I think he's our current best right back and when we have our best 11 he becomes our weakest player because every other position has a better player in it.  Santon plays well as home but he's a bit of a worry at times away from home like he was today but he'll get better with time.

Ryan Taylor's just as bad on the left. I honestly can't see how anyone can win this "who's worse, Raylor or Simpson" argument as they're both absolutely fucking shit. One will have a game where he doesn't absolutely fuck up and the other one does, so automatically the former will be looked upon as 'better' than the latter. We need new full-backs, and with Santon hopefully finding his feet in English football by next year, we only have to worry about replacing the right-side.

Been the weak link for a long time, was at fault for the first two goals today and has no redeeming qualities - unless you count a couple of goallines clearances. Call it kneejerk if you want, but he has to be replaced ASAP. The damage he could do/is doing is unreal.

Obertan should have been keeping an eye on Assou Ekotto, instead he was chilling on the edge of the box

Quite right.  With the attack coming down our left, the defence will generally be pulled one place to the left, resulting in the player in front of the right back tracking back and becoming the default right back and picking up either the opposition left half or left back. This never happened. As for where Obertan was...I couldnt see him on screen so he could have been chilling on the edge of the box. Suffice to say he was nowhere close to where he should have been.

As a little kid starting to play football for my first proper club, our coach drilled this into our wingers much the same as when we are say, attacking on the left and one of our strikers moves over to assist the left winger who then manages to get a cross in. It is expected that our right winger be in the opposition box, at times on the far post.

So the scary thing is, this kind of defensive swivelling is taught at an early age and yet we have PL players who cannot execute it. Obertan's absence was glaring and cost us big time and he did nothing else thereafter to make up for it. 

I can't agree with that. NEVER. How in the earth could a right back position himself at the FRONT post at that moment?  Jesus fucking christ. I don't care how much of you wanna make Obertan as a scapegoat but FFS how can Simpson not in the centre, nevermind the BACK post, when Adebayor was heavily marked and just manage to put in a weak ground cross?  That was a disastrous error by Simpson, he should have easily clear the ball if he was in the right position, yet you are blaming Obertan instead of Simpson?

He was at fault for their 2nd goal as well.  I would have Raylor over Simpson at any day.  At least Raylor would chase back and make a sliding block instead of standing still and attempt to try an offside trap at that moment.  Horrible judgement.

Some naive, if not childish thinking going on in here. The first goal was a collective failure. Simpson was coming into the middle to cover saha so Williamson could back up Colo should adebayor get passed him. I'd more think it was the job of any of the midfielders to either get back with either saha,adebayor so willo can mark saha or back up colo. Do people on here really think our team should mark man for man throughout the 90mins ?

Simpson is an average PL right back. full stop.

He will play well when surrounded by better players who not only assist him defensively, but collects the ball from him and then continue attacking the opposition. As long as the opposition is forced to defend, they will struggle to form attacks that could expose Simpson.

He will look excellent with a defensive minded player ahead of him. He will also look good if the opposition left is poor in an attacking sense.

Hence, he played well at the start of the season surrounded by the now missing Saylor, Tiote, Cabaye; and taking into the account the opposition we were playing.

Right now he is being shown up because those players are not around and we are consequently struggling to consistently :

a) Provide enough clear options to our defence.  (The options that do exist require players with greater passing ability than Simpson [Colo on a good day finds almost all the options easily because of his superior passing ability])

b) Control possession and create attacks that push the opposition back resulting is less time defending time for us

c)  Supply our strikers with quality balls (Resulting in more of Simpson's Beckhamesque crosses)

He also does not have a quality player ahead of him, or next to him; exposing his limitations even further.

Now this is not a post to provide excuses for his performances. I am just trying to fathom why it is he looked good early on in the season and now looks hapless.

The thing is that if you are truly a quality right back, all of the above would merely be an inconvenience to an otherwise enjoyable 90 mins of football. If you are Danny Simpson, the above is a catastrophe from which he is unable to recover.

And therein lies the answer.

Watch willo wave him in to cover saha.

No, not the 2nd goal, I mean the 1st. Simpson is at the front post.

2nd goal they have to share the blame. Willi should block the cross, Simpson shouldn't try an offside trap.

There's no way he's to blame for the first. It's not his job to mark the opposition left back.

The second is a joint fault between him and Williamson. Williamson picked up a poor position, Simpson showed no energy to properly track Saha.

In general, he's just a terrible player.  A couple of clearances of the line aside, he's not a strong defender. Positionally, 1-on-1, decision making and taking responsibility are all weaknesses. Santon has similar weaknesses but he isn't scared of the ball, is 21, has just moved to a new country, is recently converted to full back and despite what anyone says is playing on the wrong side.

One of the issues must be that the rest of the players know Simpson is useless. Villa's goal last week being a prime example. Colo charged out to N'Zogbia because he knew Simpson wouldn't deal with him.

Some naive, if not childish thinking going on in here. The first goal was a collective failure. Simpson was coming into the middle to cover saha so Williamson could back up Colo should adebayor get passed him. I'd more think it was the job of any of the midfielders to either get back with either saha,adebayor so willo can mark saha or back up colo. Do people on here really think our team should mark man for man throughout the 90mins ?

It was a collective failure, agreed. My post was not to point out where Simpson or the other defenders were. The opposition left back scored without a player in sight, after running quite a distance. Who was closest to him? Who did he run past on his way to scoring?

As for man marking for 90 mins.....not sure how you came to that expectation. I would say though that you should mark the bloody man in the first four minutes of the game and the rest of the 86 might have gone better.

It all happened so quick, All I remember was Obertan watching from near the centre circle as usual. For the first ober or perch should have been at the back post as colo went out to cover for Santon and everyone shifted over a place. Willi, Krul and Simpson all missed the chance to cut the ball out, Ober or Perch should have been marking that big haired freak that scored.

There's no way he's to blame for the first. It's not his job to mark the opposition left back.

When dealing with cross, positioning is much more important then marking. Marking opponent's left back "could be" Obertan's job, but before that Simpson should stay in the CORRECT position instead of marking anyone, or staying at the front post. He got it very, very wrong.

It's front post, man. It's the opposite side!

It all happened so quick, All I remember was Obertan watching from near the centre circle as usual. For the first ober or perch should have been at the back post as colo went out to cover for Santon and everyone shifted over a place. Willi, Krul and Simpson all missed the chance to cut the ball out, Ober or Perch should have been marking that big haired freak that scored.

Perch should be at the front post, Guthrie should be around the penalty spot, Simpson should be at the back post, or at least the space between Guthrie and Krul.

Guest TurboTrev

He will play well when surrounded by better players who not only assist him defensively, but collects the ball from him and then continue attacking the opposition. As long as the opposition is forced to defend, they will struggle to form attacks that could expose Simpson.

He will look excellent with a defensive minded player ahead of him. He will also look good if the opposition left is poor in an attacking sense.

Hence, he played well at the start of the season surrounded by the now missing Saylor, Tiote, Cabaye; and taking into the account the opposition we were playing.

Right now he is being shown up because those players are not around and we are consequently struggling to consistently :

a) Provide enough clear options to our defence.  (The options that do exist require players with greater passing ability than Simpson [Colo on a good day finds almost all the options easily because of his superior passing ability])

b) Control possession and create attacks that push the opposition back resulting is less time defending time for us

c)  Supply our strikers with quality balls (Resulting in more of Simpson's Beckhamesque crosses)

He also does not have a quality player ahead of him, or next to him; exposing his limitations even further.

Now this is not a post to provide excuses for his performances. I am just trying to fathom why it is he looked good early on in the season and now looks hapless.

The thing is that if you are truly a quality right back, all of the above would merely be an inconvenience to an otherwise enjoyable 90 mins of football. If you are Danny Simpson, the above is a catastrophe from which he is unable to recover.

Agree with 99% of that (could never use the word excellent, even hypothetically!).  Squad player at best.

Agree with 99% of that (could never use the word excellent, even hypothetically!).  Squad player at best.

He didn't look good earlier in the season. He was utter shit and everyone made excuses for him by saying it was because his kid was ill.

As upsetting as that will have been, his recent form shows that had no bearing at all.