Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

there's a reason why i call him Danny 'longball' Simpson because thats all he does when it comes to his passing distribution. 

You watch the boy, he will always try and cross the ball rather than pass it simple, he will lump it long or cross,

he never passes on the floor, when he does, its terrible.

He's not too bad when it comes to actual defending, his pace helps himself out of some sticky situations when he's out of position.

Guest Rey Mysterio

He's not too bad when it comes to actual defending, his pace helps himself out of some sticky situations when he's out of position.

Urban myth. Especially the pace part.

If he was French, Dutch, Spanish, Italian, German, etc. he would never have played football professionally. Says a lot about the state of football in this country when he's getting game time at the highest club level.

As a player, he epitomises everything that's wrong with football in this country.

I think to say he would never have played professionally is overstating it but he's an incredibly poor footballer in terms of what he can do with the ball at his feet, which is surprising when you consider which academy he came up through, and right to the top of it too.

Guest neesy111

If he was French, Dutch, Spanish, Italian, German, etc. he would never have played football professionally. Says a lot about the state of football in this country when he's getting game time at the highest club level.

As a player, he epitomises everything that's wrong with football in this country.

I think to say he would never have played professionally is overstating it but he's an incredibly poor footballer in terms of what he can do with the ball at his feet, which is surprising when you consider which academy he came up through, and right to the top of it too.

There is a good reason why he only cost 500k mind.

He was really poor today. Backed off a lot, misplaced passes and had a bad positional sense.

Was just not on it. To me, he was at fault for Spurs' first goal - was out of position. It's becoming clear though that if we are to be a club striving to improve/be ambitious in the long term, Simpson should not be the first choice RB.

I'll still put my trust in him between now and the end of the season like.

I honestly don't think it is. Like I said in my last post, had he been born in any other decent footballing nation he wouldn't have made it, he'd have been laughed at for his ability on the ball. You can get away with lack of pace, size, whatever you want to name, if you're good on the ball. If you're not, there's nowhere to hide and not a lot you can fall back on.

I was at a coaching event a few weeks back with the England U17 manager who gave a presentation on how they are trying to change the footballing philosophy in this country. Whilst listening to him speak, the first player that came into my head that would be redundant if the FA can implement the change in philosophy was Simpson. They want every player on the pitch to be capable of actually playing football. They want the fullbacks to become more attack minded but still be able to defend. They're the two things that related most to Simpson. If he was coming through the ranks in 10-15 years time, again if the FA can get everything into place and develop their ideas properly, he wouldn't stand a chance.

On the ball, he's woefully inept. He's shit scared of the ball being anywhere near him and his distribution is embarrassing. He adds nothing going forward and his crossing is farcical. His control and first touch are poor. It genuinely makes you feel like there's a bomb in the ball when he has it at his feet. You can actually see the panic appear across his face when he's placed under the tiniest bit of pressure.

Off the ball he isn't much better either. Everyone knows his backing off is terrible. His positional awareness for someone who's played in that position all of his life is awful. His lack of nous and footballing brain doesn't help his cause either. He just generally doesn't seem to think about what he's doing.

Then to top it all off, his attitude stinks. If you make an error or are out of position, fine, it happens, but work your bollocks off to get back into position and make up for it. The amount of time I've seen Simpson just jogging back to get back into position this season has been embarrassing. That's before the constant whinging on the pitch and the pointing and blaming of team mates, even when it's quite clearly his own fault. To fit right in with the current national set up, he's got a massive ego and an overinflated opinion of himself too. Rather than bleating about players who are better than him and for an England call up that is a million miles away, why not try and improve as a player to then actually have a right to clamour for that call up.

He does for me sum up what's wrong with football in this country and I'm glad that with a bit of work, a player with his limited ability should become a thing of the past over the next decade or so. I don't think it's that bad wanting a professional footballer to be capable of actually playing football, do you?

Guest neesy111

I seem to remember early season people on here shouting England call up

Pretty sure you were one of them. :lol:

Let me say, if Micah Richard's can't get into any England squad then Danny Simpson has as much chance as Dave being in the Euro 2012 squad.

I seem to remember early season people on here shouting England call up

Pretty sure you were one of them. :lol:

I was... he has not been shit his entire time here nor has been been utter shit this entire season.

He has dipped a lot from how he was playing, am not saying we don'y need a better right back but fact is we need an even better left back, then Santon can have a go at RB.

BUT If Santons positional play is as poor as RB as it is at LB then we are in trouble.

I honestly don't think it is. Like I said in my last post, had he been born in any other decent footballing nation he wouldn't have made it, he'd have been laughed at for his ability on the ball. You can get away with lack of pace, size, whatever you want to name, if you're good on the ball. If you're not, there's nowhere to hide and not a lot you can fall back on.

I was at a coaching event a few weeks back with the England U17 manager who gave a presentation on how they are trying to change the footballing philosophy in this country. Whilst listening to him speak, the first player that came into my head that would be redundant if the FA can implement the change in philosophy was Simpson. They want every player on the pitch to be capable of actually playing football. They want the fullbacks to become more attack minded but still be able to defend. They're the two things that related most to Simpson. If he was coming through the ranks in 10-15 years time, again if the FA can get everything into place and develop their ideas properly, he wouldn't stand a chance.

On the ball, he's woefully inept. He's s*** scared of the ball being anywhere near him and his distribution is embarrassing. He adds nothing going forward and his crossing is farcical. His control and first touch are poor. It genuinely makes you feel like there's a bomb in the ball when he has it at his feet. You can actually see the panic appear across his face when he's placed under the tiniest bit of pressure.

Off the ball he isn't much better either. Everyone knows his backing off is terrible. His positional awareness for someone who's played in that position all of his life is awful. His lack of nous and footballing brain doesn't help his cause either. He just generally doesn't seem to think about what he's doing.

Then to top it all off, his attitude stinks. If you make an error or are out of position, fine, it happens, but work your bollocks off to get back into position and make up for it. The amount of time I've seen Simpson just jogging back to get back into position this season has been embarrassing. That's before the constant whinging on the pitch and the pointing and blaming of team mates, even when it's quite clearly his own fault. To fit right in with the current national set up, he's got a massive ego and an overinflated opinion of himself too. Rather than bleating about players who are better than him and for an England call up that is a million miles away, why not try and improve as a player to then actually have a right to clamour for that call up.

He does for me sum up what's wrong with football in this country and I'm glad that with a bit of work, a player with his limited ability should become a thing of the past over the next decade or so. I don't think it's that bad wanting a professional footballer to be capable of actually playing football, do you?

Spot on, and you highlight everything that is wrong with Simpson, its the blaming others constantly thats my gripe, why not just hold your hand up as everyone makes mistakes!!

People seems to think he has pace but half the time he looks like he can hardly run and I sometimes get told off and to 'get off his back at the match' as I get annoyed that after he has crossed a ball or loses it he just jogs back and all the other players who were up that end of the pitch are bombing past him yet he does not seem to have a care in the world.

Guest Rey Mysterio

On the ball, he's woefully inept. He's s*** scared of the ball being anywhere near him and his distribution is embarrassing. He adds nothing going forward and his crossing is farcical. His control and first touch are poor. It genuinely makes you feel like there's a bomb in the ball when he has it at his feet. You can actually see the panic appear across his face when he's placed under the tiniest bit of pressure.

Spot on, and you highlight everything that is wrong with Simpson, its the blaming others constantly thats my gripe, why not just hold your hand up as everyone makes mistakes!!

People seems to think he has pace but half the time he looks like he can hardly run and I sometimes get told off and to 'get off his back at the match' as I get annoyed that after he has crossed a ball or loses it he just jogs back and all the other players who were up that end of the pitch are bombing past him yet he does not seem to have a care in the world.

Come sit with me & Ash, we won't tell you to get off his back for being hopelessly shit  :)

Guest neesy111

He won't improve unless he learns from his own mistakes.  If he's failing to acknowledge them, then it shows how far up his own arse he is.

Come sit with me & Ash, we won't tell you to get off his back for being hopelessly s***  :)

:) haha. I dont mind as much if players with less ability like Perch make mistakes and hold their hands up but keep looking for the ball but I have honestly never seen any other player waving his arms about and blaming others for his mistakes