Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

http://aggbot.com/Newcastle-United-News/article/16814757

Simpson would have more than doubled his wages if he had signed the £25,000-a-week deal and his refusal has angered the Newcastle United hierarchy.

The former Manchester United trainee, who has one year left on his contract, has made 40 appearances for Newcastle this season, but negotiations have stalled since the turn of the year.

Joining him on the Newcastle departure list are striker Leon Best and midfielder Danny Guthrie who are both expected to sign to Aston Villa.

Villa owner Randy Lerner has stressed to Alex McLeish he must get value for money and Guthrie will be available on a Bosman free transfer, while Best will be allowed to leave for around £1.5m.

Guthrie, who was signed from Liverpool for £1m four years ago, has been a key player in Newcastle’s excellent season, but he is frustrated at only being considered back up to first choice centre-midfield pairing Cheick Tiote and Yohan Cabaye.

Best has also done reasonably well on Tyneside, despite initially struggling for goals and form when he moved from Coventry City to join the Magpies Championship promotion charge in January 2010.

The Republic of Ireland international scored six goals in 12 games following the sale of Andy Carroll to Liverpool last year, but has scored just once since September and has been replaced by £10m arrival Papiss Demba Cissé.

He's shown that he's a Premier League player, imho. The market's calming down in terms of fees, but is he really worth less than half of Cameron Jerome or Bobby Zamora, less than one-tenth of Darren Bent, for example? No way.

£4-5M when he's only got 12 months to run? Would be amazed.

I know its a totally different scenario for both cases because they are better but Nasri went for 25m with 12 months running and Cahill went for 7m with 6 months to run......

I dont think having 12 months to run effects the price a great deal anymore ( atleast when it comes to english-based players)

I know none of us rate him that highly and it could be argued for good reason but the hype he gets in the media could make a club like QPR ( if they stay up), West Ham ( if they come up), Villa, Stoke and maybe West Brom i could see paying that sort of money for Simpson.

Guest je85

As a rule of thumb 12months left on a contract should be half the transfer fee. Unless Man City are involved, they make up their own rules.

Guest WashyGeordie

Which teams would want him?

One of the promoted or lower half teams?

Probably will be QPR, seemed to be close to Barton, and like Ryan says, they were interested in him in Jan.

Guest ThievingMagpie

Don't be so hard on him, he puts in a lot of graft and I think he like Williamson, Perch or Best would probably start at a lot of clubs below us on the table.

My preference would be to keep him in the squad TBH, but it will depend on whether he's willing to accept competition.

Logically he should, we'll be playing more games in general and there's no guarantee his replacement will be good anyway. Like Santon, they might need a period in and out of the team to acclimatise.

I can't see the club actively trying to peddle him, but they might not offer what he thinks he needs to stay.