Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

Yeah don't really see why they'd be disappointed, he's never a top half right back but he'll work hard and be solid for them, they're not swansea and will care less than us for his lack of ball playing ability. Also Guthrie recommended him and convinced him apparently in a weird echo of Cabaye getting his right back mate here...IT'S LIKE CIRCLES WITHIN CIRCLES

Guest Roger Kint

£5m? :lol: We sold Given for just £1m more ffs. :lol:

Tottenham are getting Adebayor for the same price ffs :lol:

Aye just the small matter of the same again in signing on fees and his obscene wages to cover and its the same deal :lol:

Yeah don't really see why they'd be disappointed, he's never a top half right back but he'll work hard and be solid for them, they're not swansea and will care less than us for his lack of ball playing ability. Also Guthrie recommended him and convinced him apparently in a weird echo of Cabaye getting his right back mate here...IT'S LIKE CIRCLES WITHIN CIRCLES

Reading are putting together a nice little squad. Definitely doing a hell of a lot better than Southampton to Prem-ify their team.

£5m? :lol: We sold Given for just £1m more ffs. :lol:

Tottenham are getting Adebayor for the same price ffs :lol:

Aye just the small matter of the same again in signing on fees and his obscene wages to cover and its the same deal :lol:

Although, there was the rumours going around that City was going to cover that. :lol:

Think southampton will be fine, Lambert will be this season's Grant Holt and Lallana is ace.

Not to mention the possible arrival of Clyne and the fact they looked a better side than Reading last season.

Southampton have made some good signings even if you ignore Clyne, and they looked a good side last season.

They will be the Norwich of last season IMO.

Definitely, they have a fair amount of pace and skill in the side. Shouldn't have any problems, especially with Adkins at the helm

Think southampton will be fine, Lambert will be this season's Grant Holt and Lallana is ace.

Not to mention the possible arrival of Clyne and the fact they looked a better side than Reading last season.

I'll be interested to see how Rodriguez does. Big fee but if he scores goals to keep them up you could justify it.

Steven Davis might be good too.

Guest firetotheworks

It all depends on the scenario.

Personally, if we were in a situation where, for example 2005 Stephen Carr was our first choice right back, I'd be pretty happy with signing 2012 Danny Simpson.

I'll be interested to see how Rodriguez does. Big fee but if he scores goals to keep them up you could justify it.

Steven Davis might be good too.

I think both will end up doing well. With the momentum of last season and the new additions I think they'll stay up.

5M is a little too much but he's not as bad as some are making out. For a promoted club he's the best they could hope for really. He's English, a good age, proven in the Premier League and hardly ever gets injured. When you put all that together and consider he played a full season first team and finished 5th last season, it's a good move by Reading. If they want to stay up he's the kind of proven player they'll be looking for.

Would also be good news for us because this sale is probably what has held up the Debuchy deal. Simpson's not a bad player but if you're looking for a weak link where we could improve the first team, it would have to be him. He's definitely good enough for the Premier League but if we aspire to stay where we are we need to upgrade.

Simpson will be a great addition to Reading imo.

If we could, i would like to keep him as a backup for new RB, hopefully Debuchy :aww:

He is not THAT bad as some here make it out to be, he are more annoying than bad  :lol:

True. I would keep him as backup too, but he probably wants to play every week.

5M is a little too much but he's not as bad as some are making out. For a promoted club he's the best they could hope for really. He's English, a good age, proven in the Premier League and hardly ever gets injured. When you put all that together and consider he played a full season first team and finished 5th last season, it's a good move by Reading. If they want to stay up he's the kind of proven player they'll be looking for.

Would also be good news for us because this sale is probably what has held up the Debuchy deal. Simpson's not a bad player but if you're looking for a weak link where we could improve the first team, it would have to be him. He's definitely good enough for the Premier League but if we aspire to stay where we are we need to upgrade.

Yep, that's pretty much how I see it, although 5 million is a fair price if you consider the financial benefit for them of improving their chance of survival and establishing themselves in the Premiership with the new TV deal from next season onwards. The way some people are going on about daylight robbery you'd think it was Peter Ramage we were talking about.

Guest Tyson

Reading's centre-halves are going to have alot of ammunition (into the box) heading their way.

Our first choice pairing (Collo & Taylor) look impenetrable at times, when dealing with the wide ammo. And Tiote's physical presence & capacity to cover space also papered over the cracks ie. Simpson's inability to smother a teams width.

Clyne, from what I've heard, is a more aggressive defender. Clyne & Onuoha would've have been better options for them. Simpson is so afraid of committing to a one-on-one (and getting skinned) he allows  his man the time & space to pick their pass/final ball/cross etc. They need a committed fullback (defensively), in a survival campaign, particularly without the man-for-man quality (of Collo & Taylor) in the heart of the defense. The last thing they need is a  coward further compounding any frailties (abilit-wise) they have in the middle.

If they're not resilient when it comes to clearing their last line, the purchase of Simpson (if completed), could very well be a 5m bus ticket back to the first division.

Simpson isn't really a footballer. He's part of the (fairly) new breed of English players who are just athletes and have little idea of how to use the ball at a high level. Him and Walcott combining down the flank, with Jenas as an unmarked option, would be hilarious.

Guest Howaythetoon

I don't get the Simpson hate and although he's not a great player he isn't bad at this level at all. Indeed he is actually a very good defender. He cost us nowt really and has done really well for us. If he does leave good luck to the lad. I'm actually hoping he stays though because we can ill-afford to keep losing good squad players which we are doing lateley with Guthrie and Best, all who along with Simpson have played key roles in helping us to get to where we are at now, whenever called upon.

I don't get the Simpson hate and although he's not a great player he isn't bad at this level at all. Indeed he is actually a very good defender. He cost us nowt really and has done really well for us. If he does leave good luck to the lad. I'm actually hoping he stays though because we can ill-afford to keep losing good squad players which we are doing lateley with Guthrie and Best, all who along with Simpson have played key roles in helping us to get to where we are at now, whenever called upon.

My Thoughts exactly thank God some one has brain finally. I really don't know why we want to get rid of decent players we can use as cover players. 

Maybe because Simpson doesn't want to stay as a back up player, majority of us would want him to stay as back up and i'm sure Pardew and the staff does too. But like Best and Guthrie before him he doesn't want to be a back up.

Not really his choice is it?  He signed a contract for x number of years and we can do whatever we want with him until it's done.

Even if we get Debuchy I'd keep Simpson around as back up, his ego could use the smack.