Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

So if we do get Debuchy and Douglas and simpson leaves, who are we going to make the official starting team scapegoat this year to pick apart for generally little reason?

Discounting Obertan... Im going to say Gutierrez the signs are already there.

Gutierrez for sure. It'll be (mostly) unwarranted too.

Him or Ba.

Madras, isn't the whole point of a full back to stop crosses coming in in the first place? Backing off is useful if you end up forcing the winger onto his weaker foot, thereby stopping the cross and forces him to pass backwards and disrupting the momentum of the attack. But backing off aimlessly and letting the wingers cross in the hope that the centre back will deal with the crosses is just poor defending and is what Simpson usually does

it's part of the job. he doesn't bac off as much as some try to make out and when everyone was on about it I proved that on one occasion whenhe was blamed for costing us a goal by backing off he hadn't actually backed off, it's one of those myths that folk believe (like alan smith playing well at the start of the promotion season). he backs off no more than most defenders, except when he does it everyone has a go at him even if it was the right thing to do. the thing is it's very hard to stop a player who is running at you without dropping back.

the bigger problem is when he has the ball, full backs are coming more into the game possession wise, more and more moves are starting with them and they are practically turning into auxiliary midfielders. the days of a defender getting by purely on his defending have gone.

Got to say, if we do get offered £5 million, then that is a more than a decent price.

Would be disappointed to see him leave but ultimately if we want to move forward/progress then Simpson shouldn't be the first choice RB. Best of luck to him if he does move, I reckon he'll be a decent signing for Reading.

Got to say, if we do get offered £5 million, then that is a more than a decent price.

Would be disappointed to see him leave but ultimately if we want to move forward/progress then Simpson shouldn't be the first choice RB. Best of luck to him if he does move, I reckon he'll be a decent signing for Reading.

where's the 5miilion tag came from ? i'd wrap him up and take him there myself even if we didn't have a replacement lined up. he's not as bad as many make out but 5million is at least 2million too much.

Madras, isn't the whole point of a full back to stop crosses coming in in the first place? Backing off is useful if you end up forcing the winger onto his weaker foot, thereby stopping the cross and forces him to pass backwards and disrupting the momentum of the attack. But backing off aimlessly and letting the wingers cross in the hope that the centre back will deal with the crosses is just poor defending and is what Simpson usually does

it's one of those myths that folk believe

Bollocks.

Bollocks.

There is a difference between 'standing' a winger who is on the ball (stopping them getting past you and preventing them from crossing but without diving in to win the ball) to aimlessly backing off and allowing them to get closer to goal which does do far too much

Bollocks.

it is. i've heard people slag him off for backing oiff when he hasn't. the worst occasion was when many on here blamed him for it even as we were watching on MotD and saw that he didn't.

where's the 5miilion tag came from ? i'd wrap him up and take him there myself even if we didn't have a replacement lined up. he's not as bad as many make out but 5million is at least 2million too much.

It's a rumoured fee from Twitter (so mostly likely bollocks).

Guest Geordiedog

It's weird how the only country to pay inflated prices for English players is England. English players are the least technically polished so no other bugger wants them except for us. Such arrogance!

If we pay £7mill for Debuchy and get £4mill for Simpson we'll have concluded a remarkable bit of business. I don't mind Simpson tbh but he's not anywhere near Debuchys standard of technical ability.

Bollocks.

it is. i've heard people slag him off for backing oiff when he hasn't. the worst occasion was when many on here blamed him for it even as we were watching on MotD and saw that he didn't.

I didn't intend this to be rude, I was posting at work and had to be quick!

I accept that folk may have blamed him incorrectly on occasion, and I accept that they may have slagged him for backing off when he hasn't, but imo it's plain to see that it's a major weakness in his game.

To suggest its a myth is just daft imo, it might be overstated sometimes, but it's not a myth. I've watched every single game he's played for Newcastle and I've seen him back off far too much. Backing off is part of a full backs game, but it's a default for Simpson, which makes him pretty impotent as a defender.

The Loch Ness monster, Godzilla and The Lambton worm are myths, not Simpson backing off, I've seen it with my own eyes, loads.

Bollocks.

I accept that folk may have blamed him incorrectly on occasion, and I accept that they may have slagged him for backing off when he hasn't, but imo it's plain to see that it's a major weakness in his game.

To suggest its a myth is just daft imo, it might be overstated sometimes, but it's not a myth. I've watched every single game he's played for Newcastle and I've seen him back off far too much. Backing off is part of a full backs game, but it's a default for Simpson, which makes him pretty impotent as a defender.

The Loch Ness monster, Godzilla and The Lambton worm are myths, not Simpson backing off, I've seen it with my own eyes, loads.

it's a defensive issue as much down to simpson receiving so little support over there (even barton was positionally clueless). simpson does back off but not nearly as much as people make out. the myth bit was the extent to which he backs off.

Bollocks.

it's a defensive issue as much down to simpson receiving so little support over there (even barton was positionally clueless). simpson does back off but not nearly as much as people make out. the myth bit was the extent to which he backs off.

Either he does it too much or he doesn't though? If you're trying to make a point that  certain parts of players games are exaggerated by fans, you're right, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a major weakness in his game.

Surely you must agree that he does it too much?