Why are rugby people so sanctimonious/superior ?

Benwell Lad

Haway man Kezman, I watch rugby league, union & football there is no way most footballers could handle  the physical challanges of rugby league or the rucks of union.

Likewise most rugby players couldn't compete in a game of football.

Nor throw a javelin, drive a golf ball 300 yards or hit a six in cricket. ;D

:thup:

If any rugby players were good at football, they'd be playing it rather rugby. :snod:

LLO man I was talking about the physical aspect not ability ffs  :lol:

I know man, it was my attempt at being sanctimonious & superior.  Hence the smug smiley. :lol:

The story was run on Saturday, its now Tuesday and despite all of the s**** weather etc we've had its still the headline sotry in South Wales.

Does it really matter to people that much that a guy happens to pack fudge?

I always found the rugby culture in South Wales different as it was a working class sport there. Hartlepool was a microcosm of that up here.

In the NE, by and large, if you were good enough you played football, if you weren't you might turn to rugby. Hence the best athletes played football.

It's probably the opposite in S.Wales.

The story was run on Saturday, its now Tuesday and despite all of the s**** weather etc we've had its still the headline sotry in South Wales.

Is Gareth the only gay in the village?

Haway man Kezman, I watch rugby league, union & football there is no way most footballers could handle  the physical challanges of rugby league or the rucks of union.

Likewise most rugby players couldn't compete in a game of football.

Most backs in league or union could handle 90 mins of football of course there ability would be in question. I cant think of many English footballers who could handle 80 mins of rugby.

It's all about conditioning though, given proper training & diets etc that wouldn't be the case.

I am telling you all backs in either code of rugby could run around a football pitch for 90 mins right now, admittingly they would be chasing shadows I am guessing. I watch all 3 sports & I know who could hack each other sports now. Them mauls in union are something else man.

Is Gareth the only gay in the village?

He's certainly the only gay in the scrum.

1. He's Welsh

2. He plays the shittest sport known to man

3. He's gay

4. He's bald

Not got a lot going for him really.

I really like Rugby, and the players are proper athletes. What they go through in an average game I would suggest is much worse than an average footballer.

But there is a lot of dirty play that goes on in a game that seems to be accepted - throwing punches, stamping, scratching, raking with studs, all sorts. This sort of thing is just ignored really, not sure why. The macho thing is a big part of it.

I suppose the better reputation of rugby is due to a few things. Firstly, it is not a working class sport, meaning players on TV are usually quite well educated, eloquent and have posh accents.

Also, they are seen to be very respectful to officials, which is fair enough - they are. Then there is the lack of whinging, diving and feigning injury, which I think deserves a lot of credit.

The class thing is a big factor, when public schoolboys make noise and get up to no good it's just good fun, when comprehensive school lads do it it's thuggery.

It is complete shite from beginning to end really. Too many fat fuckers play to make it a sport.

Too true. Rugby is the only sport at school that the fat kids used to feel superior. Like basketball it's a game restricted to to players of a certain physique and therefore shite.

Too true. Rugby is the only sport at school that the fat kids used to feel superior. Like basketball it's a game restricted to to players of a certain physique and therefore s****.

10 years ago you would have had a point, I remember when I played all the forwards were massive lumbering fatties.

But that is changing rapidly, most top players now are in great condition (especially the backs, who are often built like sprinters now). I'm sure that trend is going to continue.

True, at a lower levels there are still plenty of bloaters, but sunday league footballers aren't exactly perfect specimens either.

(Also, every sport is restrcited to players of a certain physique. You don't see many 18 stone marathon runners.)

Too true. Rugby is the only sport at school that the fat kids used to feel superior. Like basketball it's a game restricted to to players of a certain physique and therefore s****.

10 years ago you would have had a point, I remember when I played all the forwards were massive lumbering fatties.

But that is changing rapidly, most top players now are in great condition (especially the backs, who are often built like sprinters now). I'm sure that trend is going to continue.

True, at a lower levels there are still plenty of bloaters, but sunday league footballers aren't exactly perfect specimens either.

(Also, every sport is restrcited to players of a certain physique. You don't see many 18 stone marathon runners.)

Funnily enough, a boxing contest between two genuine heavyweights can be a thing of beauty and skill. Rugby on the other hand with 16 sweaty blokes getting to grips with each other is only for some people.

Funnily enough, a boxing contest between two genuine heavyweights can be a thing of beauty and skill. Rugby on the other hand with 16 sweaty blokes getting to grips with each other is only for some people.

I agree, but I'd say a Rugby match also has it's fair share of great moments. Anyway, I'm not trying to say Rugby is in any way better or superior to football, I just like it.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

I watched some rugby league this year when Warrington won some cup. Worst skill standard I've seen in a competitive sport. They can't even catch a fucking ball between them. I used to think American Football was shit but then I recognised the athleticism of the players and respected the fact that the great running backs of the game were young kids who learnt their skill by running away from the police; now nobody can catch those suckers. Rugby is a low skill game, shite to watch, it simulates buuggery on the pitch, it's shitter than Americna Football by fae in terms of skill/athleticism, it's fucking dire.

Watched the fight with a load of 'rugby' lads, which was followed by match of the day, and as expected, for no reason other than to be a prick one lad goes on about how soft footballers are (this always seems happens without anyone slagging off rugby first either) but he quickly shut up when I pointed out that Didier Drogba doesnt keep blood capsules in his sock.

Watched the fight with a load of 'rugby' lads, which was followed by match of the day, and as expected, for no reason other than to be a prick one lad goes on about how soft footballers are (this always seems happens without anyone slagging off rugby first either) but he quickly shut up when I pointed out that Didier Drogba doesnt keep blood capsules in his sock.

Aye, Drogba's no cheat.

I like football and rugby union and league. Am I the only one? American sports are fucking shite. Having played rugby union for years it is true that rugby players, at my amateur level do have an inferiority complex. Seems its wrong to like both even though they're completely different. You can't knock the way it respects officials and players athleticism and skill. It's class seeing a team defend 5 metres away from a tryline like men possessed as much as it is watching Shola tear the championship a new one every week

I watched some rugby league this year when Warrington won some cup. Worst skill standard I've seen in a competitive sport. They can't even catch a f***ing ball between them. I used to think American Football was s*** but then I recognised the athleticism of the players and respected the fact that the great running backs of the game were young kids who learnt their skill by running away from the police; now nobody can catch those suckers. Rugby is a low skill game, s**** to watch, it simulates buuggery on the pitch, it's shitter than Americna Football by fae in terms of skill/athleticism, it's f***ing dire.

You sound like one of those weedy kids at school who's never played sport.

There has to be a certain level of tactical intelligence involved in a sport where the only way to move forwards is by passing backwards surely? The yanks get one littler fella to throw the ball the length of the pitch to another littler fella whilst the bigger chaps clobber shite out of each other. It's a disgrace they are allowed to call it football

There has to be a certain level of tactical intelligence involved in a sport where the only way to move forwards is by passing backwards surely? The yanks get one littler fella to throw the ball the length of the pitch to another littler fella whilst the bigger chaps clobber shite out of each other. It's a disgrace they are allowed to call it football

No, it just means whoever made the rules is fucking stupid.