Sheffield Wednesday 2-2 Newcastle United - 26/12/09 - post match from page 11

Nate

Butts positioning across the pitch has been ok, his clearances have been hit and hope though, because he's intercepting about 10 yards back from where Smith would be.

He hasn't dropped a bollock, but he single handedly cautorises our counter attacking.

He looks to play passes, in particular lob ones, which he doesn't have the ability to do regularly.

aye. really irritating when he stands still and looks for the long ball, shapes to hit it beckham-style, puts his foot through it, and then watches it bobble out of play on the far side of the pitch or behind for a goal kick. does it whenever he has a bit of time on the ball. hughton should just take him aside and tell him to play it simple, keep it on the ground and look for the nearest man. or just tell him he's not Xavi.

Dropped points, Butt and Coloccini were the ones who stood out for me today, Harps should have really done better for their second should have jumped and held it.

Bit hard to catch it when someone pulls your arm away don't you think? Christ...

Dont get me wrong, It was a foul, but Harps should have gone in stronger for that. He went in with little effort

Guest Stephen927

I dont get what Hughton tells them at half time

They come out and stop playing

"For the fans!!!111!1"

Then at full-time "Sympathise."

Bollocks it, am happier when I look at the league table. Hopfully Smith will be back for Derby on Monday.

That's the thing, whilst Smith is hardly someone to spray a defense-splitting pass, he'll atleast incite a bit of pass and movement with simple, controlled, forward passes to his own teammates. Nicky Butt literally just sticks a leg out, and hopes the ball bounces in the general direction of one of our snail-paced strikers. Either that or all of a sudden he happens to think he's Steven Gerrard, and tries to pick out some long ball which invariably is gobbled up by the opposition.

But like i say, Hughton deserves a kicking for that today. Everything he did turned into a recipe for disaster away from home.

It's not a bad point but it's very, very frustrating when you consider how God awful Sheff Wed have been and were today.

Quote from: Doctor_Zaius on December 24, 2009, 11:00:49 PM

Cant wait for this one. The only thing souring it a bit is an early kick off  undecided

I'd go with the same team that beat Boro, if availble. We should win and with West Brom's game being in doubt we could and should be 13 points clear by the end of the game. Having said that though, I'm going, and I havnt seen a win in my last 8 away games or so.

2-2 draw with a Harewood brace doing enough to convince Hughton to attempt to extend him load I reckon.

Quote from: Sewelly on December 12, 2009, 04:23:40 PM

We best win tomorrow like, because we wont be picking up any points on Saturday. (Barnsley)

It's gotten to the point I truly believe I'm a curse. People encourage me not to go to away games.

Manchester United 6-0

Liverpool 3-0

Liverpool 2-0

Middlesbrough 1-0

Wigan 1-0

Blackburn 3-0

Bolton 1-0

West Brom 1-1 (hurrah)

Notts Forest 1-0

Peterborough 2-0

When it was against Premiership sides it wasn't so bad, but it's becoming truly creepy that it's continued into the Championship.

I'm going to Sheff Wed aswell btw

This is not a coincidence btw Im now officially superstitious.

I can't stand Hughton; I think he's a spineless bastard.  To be fair to him he's got what he was given but he's now got a month to do something with that midfield and if he doesn't then he's as bad as I think he is.  Our biggest weakness is through the middle and that's why the third bottom team can dominate us.  We constantly hit long balls because our midfield is shit and don't make space to collect a ball and lose it when we do.  Nolan scores but he's terrible during normal play and I would rather have somebody in there dictating play than scoring a few goals and allowing us to be pissed all over by a below than average team.  I'll not waste my time on Nicky Butt, he should be put down, that's all that needs to be said about him.

Mind you, Hughton was a bit of a joke today. Rubbish line-up, rubbish subs, rubbish timing, rubbish tactics. That really was long ball from start to finish, which is a bit pointless when:

/ Our strikers aren't particularly great in the air (but dey're big n blak tho!!)

/ We're up against two chunky centre-backs who are good in the air

/ No one is supporting from centre-midfield

We didn't deserve to win today and we didn't. I've missed some of our defeats but that's as bad as i've seen us this season. A centre-midfield of Butt and Nolan, with two near static strikers upfront incites virtually no pass and move whatsoever.

i think you got it right with your criticism of harewood and shola. both like to receive the ball in the box and go straight for goal. if you play it long and high and expect them to bring it down they'll disappoint, likewise if you want them to pull wide and create space or drop deep to bring team-mates into play. loven, carroll and ranger to an extent to some of this, so you'd think one of them would've started away from home, where you need to ask a bit more from your forward men.

Don't want this to get into another Barton discussion but he has played in the centre of midfield in 2008 under Keegan and was probably our most important player in last seasons back-to-back wins vs. WBA and Villa.

He's been here for more than 2 years, I would expect him to have had a couple of good games.

Guest firetotheworks

Harper - 6.5: A bit dodgy on that cross, but he was fouled, and made up for it with a class save

Simpson - 6: OK, won most of his battles.

Taylor - 6: Decent, never really tested.

Colocinni - 6.5 A stroll in the park for most of the match.

Enrique - 6.5: Some nice moments in defence, came out the victor 9/10 times but played us into trouble once and didnt get forward.

Guthrie - 4.5: Lovely cross for Nolan's goal, after that he was totally anonymous

Nolan - 5: Nice finish but along with Butt sat too deep

Butt - 5: Consistently in the wrong place at the right time. Like I said earlier, he intercepted a lot but was too far back to play it simple and get us attacking, he just cleared it time and time again, giving SW the possession again and again.

Jonas - 4: Totally ineffective when he was on, like a lot of the midfield he was almost anonymous.

Shola - 6: Looks confident and is scoring goals that wouldnt go in in the PL, but he's doing what he's paid to do.

Harewood - 5.5: A couple of nice moments, but again was largely anonymous.

Carroll - 6: Looked half decent when he came on and had an ok shot

Pancrate - 5: Terrible shooting overshadowed some nice play from time to time

Lovelycakes - 5: Didnt notice him.

All in all for me a match that no individual performed particularly terribly in, but mainly because a lot of the match passed a lot of them by.  It could have been wrapped up had we had the right personnel and the right attitude. Im reluctant to make Butt the scapegoat because I know it might be seen as being too easy, especially when he had a relatively good game by his standards. But he really, really holds us back. In this league our defence is usually tight, and is tested a fair amount. With Butt in the team it is constantly tested because he gets sucked into the action, the ball passes him by and the full backs/centre backs get forward; inviting more pressure. This isnt disimilar to Smith, in fact I think Smith's probably worse than Butt for being like that, however Smith has a better recovery to get back, and when he does get back he plays it to a Newcastle player, and not back to the oppositions centre backs/full backs/row Z.

When you do that you're also stopping our wingers and full backs getting forward because they're constantly defending. Guthrie, Jonas and Pancrate were all anonymous for most of the game and there was very little  play at all in an attacking sense from Enrique and Simpson. Note too that on the odd occassion they did was when we played it around and woe betide Guthrie to Nolan: Goal. Jonas to Shola: Goal.

There's almost a part of me that thinks Im finding a reason to blame Butt, but in all honesty I really do think he's a large part of the reason we play badly. He's always there, but he's always in the wrong position and does the wrong thing with the ball.

Thoughts?

Mind you, Hughton was a bit of a joke today. Rubbish line-up, rubbish subs, rubbish timing, rubbish tactics. That really was long ball from start to finish, which is a bit pointless when:

/ Our strikers aren't particularly great in the air (but dey're big n blak tho!!)

/ We're up against two chunky centre-backs who are good in the air

/ No one is supporting from centre-midfield

We didn't deserve to win today and we didn't. I've missed some of our defeats but that's as bad as i've seen us this season. A centre-midfield of Butt and Nolan, with two near static strikers upfront incites virtually no pass and move whatsoever.

i think you got it right with your criticism of harewood and shola. both like to receive the ball in the box and go straight for goal. if you play it long and high and expect them to bring it down they'll disappoint, likewise if you want them to pull wide and create space or drop deep to bring team-mates into play. loven, carroll and ranger to an extent to some of this, so you'd think one of them would've started away from home, where you need to ask a bit more from your forward men.

Yep, absolutely. Everything was wrong with the selection and the tactics that followed. For a start off - i know they've only played two games, but they look like the worst partnership. They're just far too similar and were playing games independently of each other. There was an incident where Harewood bumbled his way to the by-line and cut it back; Shola was nowhere to be seen. Similarly with every single ball forward, whether or not one of them won it, neither of them had the pace or sheer awareness to know where the other was and it came to absolutely nothing.

We've gone away from home and punted it long all game and come away with victories; but that's when we've had Ranger or Carroll up there - people who can win it in the air and subsequently retain possession. Obviously, i can see why Hughton kept both of them in the side, cos they both scored in the last game, but it was absolutely pointless if he was gonna use those sort of tactics. Of our four big strikers, he picked the two that are worst at holding the ball up... and also picked no one to receive the fucking thing even if a striker won it.

Proper headscratcher today like. Don't know what he was thinking. What's doubly frustrating is that he's generally been okay for changing things when it's blatantly obvious it's not working. But he didn't today and it's very disappointing.