Jermaine Beckford signs for Everton. Yey!

Stifler
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Phil K

but now he hasn't been delivering anything for the last ten thousand years and is nothing special.

That's why he isn't a regular in Manchester United ??

He isn't. Spends most of his time on the bench.

And he seems (reading reports of when he DOES get a chance) to be missing an awful lot more than he's scoring

That said, at least he's getting IN the positions to miss.

We may well find ourselves in a position whereby we are forced to pursue Boyd over Beckford. Would prefer Beckford over Boyd but the thought of either of them playing up front for NUFC in the Premiership leaves me underwhelmed.

let's get into the premier league first eh

Guest Stephen927

We may well find ourselves in a position whereby we are forced to pursue Boyd over Beckford. Would prefer Beckford over Boyd but the thought of either of them playing up front for NUFC in the Premiership leaves me underwhelmed.

It's best to think ahead, rather than spending millions on players for now we don't need later and have trouble offloading for a similar fee we have paid. We need to find the right kind of players who won't mind playing in the Championship for 6 months but can then step up and do the business in the top flight. Not many of these players around, but they are out there.

First and foremost we need a striker that is capable of scoring goals in the Championship to get us promoted.

On that basis, either of them will do. Hell compared to our current crop, nearly anyone will do.

It's best to think ahead, rather than spending millions on players for now we don't need later and have trouble offloading for a similar fee we have paid. We need to find the right kind of players who won't mind playing in the Championship for 6 months but can then step up and do the business in the top flight. Not many of these players around, but they are out there.

If Beckford can't do it in the Premiership it would be easy to sell him on for at least what we paid for him and most likely a profit.  There's no risk there what so ever.

After a bit more thought on this, I'd recommend getting neither. Beckford doesn't look any betetr than what we currently have and Boyd I've never really seen play - but he cannot exactly be amazing if he only plays for Rangers and there appears to be very little Premiership interest in him.

Cant see any of our current strikers scoring that goal yesterday atall.

Fair point but could he have scored the goal Carroll scored vs Stoke last season or some of Shola's this season ?

It's a serious question as I know very little about Beckford other than he scores regularly for the team at the top of the third division.

His goal yesterday was huge but after his poor first touch the keeper really should have got to it.

Your talking about Beckford not having an outstanding quality to succeed in the premiership, except for scoring. Hes a striker , therefore the fact he scores more goals than the average in the division suggests hes playing at a level beneath him, therefore scoring goals is exactly the attribute he needs. Your statement is nonsense hence the need for me to highlight it. Unless your suggesting that a striker who has amazing pace, excellent in the air, can cross a ball and hold up play but cant score in league one is better placed to succeed in the premiership? In which case your a tit.

Thats all, as you were  :rolleyes:

Clearly you are being the tit, not me.

I did not say that Beckford does not have any outstanding quality, I have said I never watch him. Going by how others rate him on this board (lazy, rely on positioning, poor first touch) , I do not think he would succeed in the premiership, given the high rate failures of top scoring championship strikers in the premiership. And if he is not deemed fit for the premiership, then I don't want to pay over the odds for what is essentially half a season productive works.

If registering yourself on the championship scoring chart is what guarantees success in the premiership, we should snap up all top championship strikers eih, what a tit.

I have not suggested that we should buy strikers who can't score goals. Don't try to put words into my mouth.

Fair point but could he have scored the goal Carroll scored vs Stoke last season or some of Shola's this season ?

It's a serious question as I know very little about Beckford other than he scores regularly for the team at the top of the third division.

His goal yesterday was huge but after his poor first touch the keeper really should have got to it.

I have just seen the highlights. I think the first goal was a fluke, very poor defending and goalkeeping. However Beckford does seem to know how and where to position himself, he knows how to spot a through ball. That brings another question - can he fit snugly onto our team ? Who is going to feed him ? Spiderman ? Judging by the the match only, I think he is good enough as a replacement for Harewood. But I still seriously doubt whether he could score goals in the Premiership.

What I like is that we'd be signing a player on the rise.

We could always go with proven mediocrity, or someone on his way down from mediocrity such as a Harewood. I'd rather take a player with his best years ahead of him. You have to either take a punt on these players or sign the finished article and we are in no position to do the latter. I would rather take the punt on Beckford than land another Premiership journeyman or a big ego looking for a final payday.

I think this is pretty low-risk if we can get him on the cheap. His contract is running out and Leeds know they have to sell, not to mention a player coming from league one would probably not expect astronomical wages. There's an element of risk to every signing, but I have a good feeling about this one - he's in form and very high in confidence. He showed no fear at Old Trafford which is more than can be said for a lot of our players in recent years.

I can't think of any reason why we should be forced to pursue Boyd over Beckford. Even if we don't get Beckford there's no reason at all why we can't simply tell Boyd to fuck off and stay in Scotland.

Your talking about Beckford not having an outstanding quality to succeed in the premiership, except for scoring. Hes a striker , therefore the fact he scores more goals than the average in the division suggests hes playing at a level beneath him, therefore scoring goals is exactly the attribute he needs. Your statement is nonsense hence the need for me to highlight it. Unless your suggesting that a striker who has amazing pace, excellent in the air, can cross a ball and hold up play but cant score in league one is better placed to succeed in the premiership? In which case your a tit.

Thats all, as you were  :rolleyes:

Clearly you are being the tit, not me.

I did not say that Beckford does not have any outstanding quality, I have said I never watch him. Going by how others rate him on this board (lazy, rely on positioning, poor first touch) , I do not think he would succeed in the premiership, given the high rate failures of top scoring championship strikers in the premiership. And if he is not deemed fit for the premiership, then I don't want to pay over the odds for what is essentially half a season productive works.

If registering yourself on the championship scoring chart is what guarantees success in the premiership, we should snap up all top championship strikers eih, what a tit.

I have not suggested that we should buy strikers who can't score goals. Don't try to put words into my mouth.

Here is your post in full:

I disagree. From my experience (purely guts, not done the statistics) - top Championship strikers have much higher failure rate than top Championship defenders in the Premiership. A lower league striker would only succeed in the Premiership if he has an outstanding attribute. I don't see how Jermain Beckford is outstanding in any particular attribute (apart from scoring), it is simply too much an ask/expectation for him to score regularly in Premiership in my opinion.

We need Beckford to replace Harewood, but I am worried that we would spend too much on him for essentially half season of productive work.

Memory of a goldfish aswell. tit. :facepalm:

We could always go with proven mediocrity, or someone on his way down from mediocrity such as a Harewood. I'd rather take a player with his best years ahead of him. You have to either take a punt on these players or sign the finished article and we are in no position to do the latter. I would rather take the punt on Beckford than land another Premiership journeyman or a big ego looking for a final payday.

I think this is pretty low-risk if we can get him on the cheap. His contract is running out and Leeds know they have to sell, not to mention a player coming from league one would probably not expect astronomical wages. There's an element of risk to every signing, but I have a good feeling about this one - he's in form and very high in confidence. He showed no fear at Old Trafford which is more than can be said for a lot of our players in recent years.

A striker/forward usually has his best years between the ages of 26/28, Beckford is 26, a League 1 striker, and not even currently the top scorer at that aswell. I wouldn't mind if he was 20/22, but he's not, he is at his level right now, and I just don't think he can make 2 steps up, especially this late in his career.

I agree with you about young player versus Premiership has been.

His agent would have been watching in glee yesterday wondering just how much more he could prise out of any possible deal and will no doubt be hawking him around as we write.

Kevin Phillips was around 25 when the mackems signed him wasnt he? 26 when he was first in the premiership.

Completely different type of player but there are exceptions, some people have the mental physical attributes to step up to the premier league, depends alot on the players around him and the psyche of the team.

Alot of the newley promoted teams lately have a united dressing room and coaches that get the players bleeding for the shirt, scrapping for everything and playing for each other.

Newcastle has seemed to have been a club where players have just been dropped into the mixing bowl and expected to perform, where its easy to get lost and sit back and take the pay check.

Things seem to be slowly turning around to how it should be, I dont know if its an environment ideal for Beckford though.

Hughton having a laugh here as he knows he is ours.. gota love hisa sense of humour

:lol:

Toon won't panic over Jermaine Beckford

Jan 4 2010 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/01/04/toon-won-t-panic-over-jermaine-beckford-72703-25521178/

either that or it means 'i won't panic because i know i'm not being given the money to sign anyone'  :undecided:

Guest toonlass

I still think a creative midfielder is what we need most. Plus people keep saying we need to get to the premiership before we can start thinking about premiership quality, but that is such a short term view. We should be able to convince a striker from a lower level premiership club to sign for us, rather than take a gamble on someone who has never proven himself above League 1 level.

Guest Geordiekev

I'd prefer to see him stay and get more games with Carroll or Beckford, never had the partnership here to show us his what he's made of, when he did get a start he was used game after game upfront on his own due to injuries and although he never scored he got Nolan on the scoresheet and caused problem in the oppositions defence.