Jermaine Beckford signs for Everton. Yey!

Stifler
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Not to be negative, but if Beckford is that good, why is nobody else in for him or have been in for him over the last couple of years?

He isn't that good.

Yes, I haven't seen much of him but I did wonder

Looks like Gordon McQueen was right about Kris Boyd    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_5832488,00.html

Boro move for Boyd

Middlesbrough are looking to finalise a deal for Rangers star Kris Boyd, skysports.com understands.

Boro are desperate to bolster their squad now the transfer window has opened, and new boss Gordon Strachan wants to mould the team to his liking.

As such Strachan is ready to raid former club Celtic with Gary Caldwell, Barry Robson, Willo Flood and Marc Wilson all on his agenda.

However, Boro's need for a striker has seen him push on to try and land Boyd.

Boyd is out of contract in the summer and Rangers, who have major financial worries off the field, look ready to sell the forward this month rather than risk losing him for nothing in the summer.

Birmingham, Newcastle and French side Sochaux have all been linked, but it is believed Boro are now emerging as favourites to land the 26-year-old.

Strachan is hoping he can persuade Boyd to move south of the border with the offer of a significant pay rise.

Indeed, the Boro boss is pressing to try and push through a deal that would see Boyd signed in time to make his debut against Swansea City on Saturday.

Strachan watched Boyd, along with Caldwell and Robson, in action during the Old Firm derby on Sunday and he is believed to have remained in Scotland to hold talks.

As much as I would like to see the club sign Beckford, I would not pay any more than 2 million for him. We could always get Harewood back for the remainder of the season and then see whether Beckford is available in the summer for nothing.

Roanaldo

He will need the service to do that, He is not exactly a striker who creates his own chances. Most of his goals are handed to him on a plate and I dont see many creative players at Boro to supply him. He can score plenty of goals against the likes of St,Johnstone, Dundee Utd and Motherwell but it will be a different kettle of fish when he has to play against the likes of us, Swansea, Forest, Leicester and WBA.

Guest geordienorway

It's now or never for Beckford.

Agreed. He needs 6 months in this division if he's going to the PL.

Roanaldo

He will need the service to do that, He is not exactly a striker who creates his own chances. Most of his goals are handed to him on a plate and I dont see many creative players at Boro to supply him. He can score plenty of goals against the likes of St,Johnstone, Dundee Utd and Motherwell but it will be a different kettle of fish when he has to play against the likes of us, Swansea, Forest, Leicester and WBA.

Boyd has a lot of composure and takes a lot of half chances. There aren't a massive amount of players like that in this divison.

:thup: He constantly plays on the shoulder of the centre half's looking to get into the channels between the centre halfs and the full backs. We have nothing like that at the moment.

That's an interesting way of looking at it, and hard to argue against.

The difficulty of playing a finisher on the shoulder of the last defenders is that they're sometimes no good at holding the ball up, which is what you often want the most advanced player to do. (Ref Owen). Beckford showed enough on Sunday to suggest that, while that's maybe not a strength of his, he's good enough for us in that area.

As much as I would like to see the club sign Beckford, I would not pay any more than 2 million for him. We could always get Harewood back for the remainder of the season and then see whether Beckford is available in the summer for nothing.

Agreed, the biggest danger is that we overpay for him and he can't cut it in the premiership.

He's a late developer though by all accounts, so still should have time to improve.

Agreed, the biggest danger is that we overpay for him and he can't cut it in the premiership.

He's a late developer though by all accounts, so still should have time to improve.

as i said earlier the premiership/championship is littered with strikers who can't cut it in the prem and they always keep moving around for the same sort of fees - he seems worth the gamble for up to 3m for me...chopra went for 5m for fucks sake

even if he's a total failure at PL level i reckon we'd easily get the majority of that fee back given his age

reminds me of anelka in his petulant days

Fuckin hell man.  :lol:

well he does :shifty:

I actually thought that when I watched the game on Sunday. Obviously a different class, but he looks to make the same runs and has the same direct instinct for goal.

:thup: He constantly plays on the shoulder of the centre half's looking to get into the channels between the centre halfs and the full backs. We have nothing like that at the moment.

That's an interesting way of looking at it, and hard to argue against.

The difficulty of playing a finisher on the shoulder of the last defenders is that they're sometimes no good at holding the ball up, which is what you often want the most advanced player to do. (Ref Owen). Beckford showed enough on Sunday to suggest that, while that's maybe not a strength of his, he's good enough for us in that area.

Hopefully Carroll/Shola/Ranger can hold the ball up sufficiently enough to allow Beckford to take advantage of any space in behind. The games I seen over xmas when I was back (Reside in USA now) teams generally played quite a high line as they know we don't really have any genuine pace or players with pace that play directly through the middle (Lovenkrands loves drifting wide) that will hurt them. Obviously I don't see all the games so whether this has been the case all season remains to be seen.