Jermaine Beckford signs for Everton. Yey!

Stifler
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Villa want to sell Harewood as he is also out of contract at the end of the season, its all opinions lads, some think Beckford will make it in the top flight some think he won't, its my opinion he IS worth the risk. I think when you have such an eye for goal that you will score goals in any league. I have way more faith in Beckford than in Carroll and lets face it who do you see us being able to sign instead of him? Our club is still a mess, we still hav a t*** of an owner who won't spend big, we do not have a manager that top well known players want to come and play for. Those days are gone we are rebuilding here and Beckford is a good start.

financially he's not even that great a risk.

I think when you have such an eye for goal that you will score goals in any league.

Howay Skirge, far better players than Beckford have scored shedloads in far better leagues than L1 and flopped disastrously when asked to step up.

If they reject £1.5m or whatever we offered then we should just draw a line under it. People who have seen a lot more of him like Ronaldo say he wont be the answer next season so there has to be a cut off to what he is worth. Find a striker on loan(even Harewood for a small loan fee) and worry about it when we go up

Agree with this. He's not the answer to our prayers although him coming here and banging in 10 between now and May would probably see us promoted. Problem is you've got a player on a longish contract for large(ish) money who is compltely untried in the PL. Haven't seen him too often but when i have seen him he's not looked like a PL player.

There has to be a cut-off point and I think £1.5m for a player who will be worth nothing in 5 months time is a good offer. We need to stick to our guns and if that means losing out on him and getting someone else on a short-term loan to fill the gap then so be it. Don't like to see us held to ransom over the like of Beckford.

According to most we're going to give him £15k a week, three times what he gets at Leeds but nowhere near big money to us.

The fee is high for a L1 player with an expiring contract, but if he doesn't perform we'll be able to get our money back no problem.

imo, even a 3mil deal would be relatively risk free.. at least compared to our usual transfer activity..

I think when you have such an eye for goal that you will score goals in any league.

Howay Skirge, far better players than Beckford have scored shedloads in far better leagues than L1 and flopped disastrously when asked to step up.

Thats the nature of the game though aint it?

You can blow way more on a player scoring loads in the top flight in Spain who can then be shit here, I just think Beckford is worth the punt.

3mill is pointless, rather we get someone else if thats the price

You gotta take into account the wages and the fact that it's January. I doubt we have much choices. But aye, a decent player on loan could probably be enough for this season.

In regard to him being fit for the premiership, how many times have you watched Beckford play Skirge? His touch is terrible and he gets bullied off the ball far too often. As for succeeding long-term specifically at NUFC, it will never happen I promise you.

Leeds are by far and away the best team in that league, it's a massive factor in his striking success.

Anything over 2.5-3 mill is just a waste of time, get Harewood back instead.

I really think Beckford could do well for us, but he's in a L1 team as many have said and should be nowhere near that kind of money.

Don't they trade goats and cows for players in L1 almost?

i wouldn't go above 2mill mostly based on that if it doesn't work out i think we'd still get our money back.

In regard to him being fit for the premiership, how many times have you watched Beckford play Skirge? His touch is terrible and he gets bullied off the ball far too often. As for succeeding long-term specifically at NUFC, it will never happen I promise you.

Leeds are by far and away the best team in that league, it's a massive factor in his striking success.

I have seen him play enough times to have faith in him, Leeds may be by far the best team in the League but a lot say the same about us inb the Championship, we got a 20 goal per season striker?  that will be no, not a chance never mind 20 goals in half a season.

I have seen him play enough times to have faith in him, Leeds may be by far the best team in the League but a lot say the same about us inb the Championship, we got a 20 goal per season striker?  that will be no, not a chance never mind 20 goals in half a season.

Shola is a 20 goal a season striker in this league.

It's just you've been an arsehole about Harewood being lazy since we signed him and Beckford is the same type of a player in that he won't chase lost causes.

Shola is a 20 goal a season striker in this league.

It's just you've been an arsehole about Harewood being lazy since we signed him and Beckford is the same type of a player in that he won't chase lost causes.

:lol: fkn pot kettle there..... I do not rate Harewood I think he is lazy thats my opinion, same as I think you are an annoying twat, its just how I feel.

You don't rate Beckford I do, you are just going to have  to learn to cope with that.

You're a hypocrite Skirge, either that or you actually haven't seen Beckford play.

I do rate him, i think he'll get 10 goals between now and May in the championship. But premiership, not a hope in hell.

:lol:

I have seen enough of both to know I would rather have Beckford than Harewood, I am entitled to that view, I am allowed to fkn disagree with you, or have the forum rules changed?..... Dave has there been a rule change I missed?

3mill is pointless, rather we get someone else if thats the price

You gotta take into account the wages and the fact that it's January. I doubt we have much choices. But aye, a decent player on loan could probably be enough for this season.

totally agree, with MA in charge yet i dont think we should spend £3m on one player that we COULD get for alot less, or even free in the summer. As i dont think we have alot of funds available i think 3 should be spent on atleast 2 players in fields we need to strengthen :)

also, if we can get good loan signings until the summer i would'nt mind that at all.  If they are the quality we need, like a striker that scores abit, or someone to cover in the back, or a creative midfielder.

You're missing the point here. You dislike Harewood because he isn't the type to cover lots of ground yet you rate Beckford when exactly the same criticism can easily be directed at him.

I never ever said Harewood did not cover lots of ground, I called him lazy, Beckford is a much more intelligent footballer than Harewood, uses his energy in a much more effective way it makes a massive difference.

Why the fk I am still debating this with you I have no idea, gives myself a slap, time to ignore you.

I see no problem paying £2m+ for Beckford.  IMO if he shows he can do it in the Championship in the remainder of this season we could sell him for more then that in the summer if needs be.

I'd rather we loaned players than paid millions for players who are available for free in six months (Beckford and Kilgallon).

Are you saying if his contract wasn't up in the summer you'd happily see us pay millions for him?  But because its up in the summer you'd rather we go after a poor second or more likely third choice loan signing?  In the summer numerous clubs will come around for Beckford and we'll either miss out or end up paying him astronomical wages/signing on fee so we might not end up saving anything.

We should go for the best player we can get as long as his value can easily increase and his wages aren't high IMO.  The fact that his contract runs out in 6 months doesn't mean he won't easily be worth £2m+ to us.