Jermaine Beckford signs for Everton. Yey!

Stifler
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'd rather we loaned players than paid millions for players who are available for free in six months (Beckford and Kilgallon).

What if the loan signing will score a couple of goals while the permenant signing will get 15+?  We should go for the best player we can get as long as his value can easily increase and his wages aren't high.  The fact that his contract runs out in 6 months doesn't mean he won't easily be worth £2m+ to us.

"IF"

What if the loan signing scores 15+ and Beckford scored a couple?

To me, paying more than £2m for the unproven Beckford is a massive gamble. Paying him £15K a week is also mad. Sign him up for a 3 year contract and find out he doesn't cut it in the Championship/Premiership. There's a chance Beckford could turn out to be a Bellamy but there's also a chance he could be a David Healy. How the hell would we be able to sell Beckford if we bought him for £2M+ and then put him on £15K a week and he flopped for us? The clubs who'd want him wouldn't be able to offer him wages he'd accept. He'd be to us like David Healy is for Sunderland.

Guest Roger Kint

I see no problem paying £2m+ for Beckford.  IMO if he shows he can do it in the Championship in the remainder of this season we could sell him for more then that in the summer if needs be.

What if he doesnt want to leave his wages here to go back to the Championship if we tried to sell him? Thats assuming that the club would ever do that....we all know they wont sell him in the summer tbh.

I'd rather we loaned players than paid millions for players who are available for free in six months (Beckford and Kilgallon).

What if the loan signing will score a couple of goals while the permenant signing will get 15+?  We should go for the best player we can get as long as his value can easily increase and his wages aren't high.  The fact that his contract runs out in 6 months doesn't mean he won't easily be worth £2m+ to us.

"IF"

What if the loan signing scores 15+ and Beckford scored a couple?

To me, paying more than £2m for the unproven Beckford is a massive gamble. Paying him £15K a week is also mad. Sign him up for a 3 year contract and find out he doesn't cut it in the Championship/Premiership. There's a chance Beckford could turn out to be a Bellamy but there's also a chance he could be a David Healy. How the hell would we be able to sell Beckford if we bought him for £2M+ and then put him on £15K a week and he flopped for us? The clubs who'd want him wouldn't be able to offer him wages he'd accept. He'd be to us like David Healy is for Sunderland.

That was a hypothetical question meant for you to answer.  As in if you believe Beckford will score more then a loan signing surely you would go for him regardless of his contract situation?  If Hughton thinks Beckford will get us significantly more goals then any loan signing he should go for him and not some poor second or third choice simply because theres a chance we could get him free in the summer.

Fair enough, if you really believe there's a chance Beckford would flop in the Championship then we shouldn't go for him full stop, nowt to do with his contract.

I see no problem paying £2m+ for Beckford.  IMO if he shows he can do it in the Championship in the remainder of this season we could sell him for more then that in the summer if needs be.

What if he doesnt want to leave his wages here to go back to the Championship if we tried to sell him? Thats assuming that the club would ever do that....we all know they wont sell him in the summer tbh.

£15k isn't at all out of reach for Championship clubs, many players in this league already get more then that.

You've missed my point here.  My point is Hughton should go for the player he thinks will get us the most goals.  If Hughton thinks Beckford will get us significantly more goals then any loan signing he should go for him and not some poor second or third choice simply because theirs a chance we could get him free in the summer.

Fair enough, if you really believe there's a chance Beckford would flop in the Championship then we shouldn't go for him full stop, nowt to do with his contract.

I'll happily admit to knowing next to nothing about Beckford but what I do know is if we buy him and pay him £15K a week wages we're stuck with him until the end of his contract if it doesn't work out. At least if we didn't pay a fee for him that £15K a week would take a while before £2m is paid out.

As always as soon as the player becomes free his wage demands will increase and he'll want a massive signing on fee.  So really the question is should we sign him at all, because we won't get him for much less then £2m and £15k a week IMO no matter when we go for him.

But we won't get him for free on £15k.  As always as soon as the player becomes free his wage demands will increase and he'll want a massive signing on fee.  So really the question is should we sign him at all, because we won't get him for much less then £2m and £15k a week IMO no matter when we go for him.

Begs the question, why did he hand a request in if he could have sat tight and signed a better contract in June?

Something not right about this deal. Not sure what it is.

But we won't get him for free on £15k. As always as soon as the player becomes free his wage demands will increase and he'll want a massive signing on fee. So really the question is should we sign him at all, because we won't get him for much less then £2m and £15k a week IMO no matter when we go for him.

Begs the question, why did he hand a request in if he could have sat tight and signed a better contract in June?

Maybe sees this as his gateway to the Premiership knowing we're interested.

But we won't get him for free on £15k.  As always as soon as the player becomes free his wage demands will increase and he'll want a massive signing on fee.  So really the question is should we sign him at all, because we won't get him for much less then £2m and £15k a week IMO no matter when we go for him.

You seem to be forgetting that Beckford is a League 1 player. It's not like a top player running down their contract and then getting a huge signing on fee and a big fat weekly wage. Also, if Beckford is so good how come no other clubs are beating a path to his door? He's a gamble. One that may or may not pay off.

I'm not happy for the club to pay that fee and those wages and you are. Neither of our opinions will affect what happens in reality.

Maybe sees this as his gateway to the Premiership knowing we're interested.

Possibly? :dontknow:

If that is the case then we absolutely should not offer a penny more than we already have done. We want him, he wants to play up here, Leeds can't really afford to let him go for nothing so we sit it out and play hardball.  :thup:

Probably because he can already triple his wages here and play in a league above right away and almost certainly in the Premiership next season.

I don't see what could be wrong with it to be honest.

You seem to be forgetting that Beckford is a League 1 player. It's not like a top player running down their contract and then getting a huge signing on fee and a big fat weekly wage. Also, if Beckford is so good how come no other clubs are beating a path to his door? He's a gamble. One that may or may not pay off.

I'm not happy for the club to pay that fee and those wages and you are. Neither of our opinions will affect what happens in reality.

Its all relative, £15k isn't what you pay for a top player either.  Fact is unless his form for Leeds nosedives we've got very little chance of being able to pick him up for free in the summer on the same wages we're offering now.  If he ends the season with 30 plus goals we'll also have some real competition for his signature.

I'm not trying to convince you to agree with my valuation of Beckford either.  I'm not expert on the player.  All I'm trying to say to you is that waiting until the summer isn't going to save us much money IMO.  That's assuming £2m would get him now of course.

I'd also be reluctant to pay £2 million+ for Beckford. Essentially your paying for 22 games. That's over £90,000 per game if the transfer fee is £2 million.

If we still rate him in the summer then we can sign him for free. Until then I am more than hapy to bring Harewood in until the end of the season at a fraction of the cost of Beckford.

I'd also be reluctant to pay £2 million+ for Beckford. Essentially your paying for 22 games. That's over £90,000 per game if the transfer fee is £2 million.

If we still rate him in the summer then we can sign him for free. Until then I am more than hapy to bring Harewood in until the end of the season at a fraction of the cost of Beckford.

i think its fairly evident Harewood wont be coming back.

Depends how much we have to pay him. Presumably he's on Premier League wages?

i think its fairly evident Harewood wont be coming back.

I honestly think if we can't get Beckford then Hughton will bring Harewood back on loan.

At Villa I'd guess he'd be on £30k per week at the very most. Even when you factor in wages as high as that the loan fee + wages comes to less than half of £2 million.

Would definitely rather bring Harewood or someone else serviceable on loan than blow big money on this lad.

Just don't see how a 26-year old who's never played in the Prem can be expected to make the step up now. It's a gamble whether or not he'll succeed in the Championship, never mind the Prem.

At Villa I'd guess he'd be on £30k per week at the very most. Even when you factor in wages as high as that the loan fee + wages comes to less than half of £2 million.

But that's for no return at the end - at least we could flog Beckford if needs be.

So we pay him higher wages and a larger signing on fee in the summer for 28 less games?, and thats IF we can even sign him in the summer.  The question here is do we really want the player?, if we do we should look at what we think the player is worth based on his ability and do what's neccesary to sign him.  If we think he's worth £2m and also believe thats what we'll have to offer to get him then we shouldn't let the fact that he's out of contract in six months get in the way of the deal.