Portsmouth FC in yet more trouble - administration again?

GG

So wait, Pompey will just cease to be? Is this really happening?

It's not that uncommon with smaller clubs. Last year Gretna (Scottish Premier League) went out of existence forever. Just not something you usually see with teams at this level.

chester could go that way...their players refused to travel to a game today aftyer not being paid for 3 months, haarlem in holland and mouscron in belgium already gone.

No it isnt. Talks have broken down about settling out of court thats all.

No it isnt. Talks have broken down about settling out of court thats all.

It is worse than that.

They've not filed for administration, they can do, but if the winding up petition gets heard before the administration petition does, they're fucked.

They need to provide proof of funding, or at least very strong hope, to have any chance of getting an administration application through, lest of all on the same day as a winding up petition (which is very, very rare)

Portsmouth are very, very close to ceasing to exist.

I understand why people think it won't happen / the parties will see sense / compromise will prevail, but football clubs are just businesses, average sized ones, and businesses the size of Portsmouth FC go under every day. HMRC have no special case of benevolence to football clubs, and nobody in the football community is going to step in and save them.

If anything good can come of this, it will be that the game finally gets a fucking gigantic wake-up call and realises that things can not go on like this.

Guest ProudToBeAGeordie

I thought they'd agreed new payments with creditors and paid £60m to the inland revenue to prevent the winding up order going through today?

They have no paid a penny to the IR, they were asking for a delay, but it looks like the IR have turned down the request as they do not think they will aquire funding any time soon.

I thought they'd agreed new payments with creditors and paid £60m to the inland revenue to prevent the winding up order going through today?

Not what I have heard, they owe £7.5 million to the tax man, will all become clear this morning!

BBC are reporting this morning that talks between both parties broke down last night meaning its do or die time today

It's ironic that there's never been more money flooding into the game, and yet there's never been more clubs teetering on the edge - at all levels.

It's difficult to run a stable financial ship when the gap in income can vary so much, depending on whether you finish 4th or 5th in the Premiership, or 17th or 18th. Or for that matter 2nd or 3rd in the Championship. You can't completely regulate away the problem of reckless owners, but you can reduce the pressure on them by making the income distribution more fair.

Guest GAMMELL

Absolutely gutted for their fans if this happens, must be horrible having your club just disappear.

Not that cunt with the bell. Wanker

Guest neesy111

could a momentus day for football and the money club's owe today

southend should be fine, they apparently are disputing £200k where they say they are owed 250k from the IR

It's terrible news.

Just those comments about it being the heartbeat of the city, imagine if we were to be wound up? It's just unthinkable that Portsmouth might not exist anymore come the end of today.

Guest neesy111

It's terrible news.

Just those comments about it being the heartbeat of the city, imagine if we were to be wound up? It's just unthinkable that Portsmouth might not exist anymore come the end of today.

if newcastle we're to be almost to the wall, i'm sure we fan's would come together to buy it out as newcastle without a football club would be the death of the city as it is

Guest Wally_McFool

It's ironic that there's never been more money flooding into the game, and yet there's never been more clubs teetering on the edge - at all levels.

Yep, Jeff Stelling made a comment in his book that although Sky gave all those millions of pounds to the clubs, they  did not make the clubs pay ridiculous wages to average  and crap footballers.

Just goes to show how badly football has been run/managed by the owners.  What the hell Scudamore was doing running about like a rat looking for more money I dont know.

What they should have been doing was saying "what can we do to make the league sustainable and competetive"

Instead of looking for more and more money each season,  Dickheads should have all agreed on a salary and transfer cap.  Nobs.

Guest Stephen927

Spending far beyond their means, can't expand their stadium which is small by the top 2 divisions standards, and an owner that just pulled out and let the club deal with an incredible amount of debt for their income. It was gonna happen the day the owner walked away, and I do feel sorry for the fans. I'd feel sorry for any fans that have to watch their club fold, even Sunderland fans. Couldn't imagine it happening to this club, though we have been close a few times depending on who you believe.

I can't see their being any other outcome than Pompey folding, the change of ownership was apparently to buy the club time, but that has all but run out if no one has a bottomless pit of money to keep pumping in at a loss.

Play toys for the rich and care free, who will get bored in the end and football will suffer even more.

Then those that want to own clubs but cannot really afford it so get stupid loans to make the deal then put the debt on the club, that is going to happen more and more also.

Just goes to show how badly football has been run/managed by the owners.  What the hell Scudamore was doing running about like a rat looking for more money I dont know.

What they should have been doing was saying "what can we do to make the league sustainable and competetive"

Instead of looking for more and more money each season,  Dickheads should have all agreed on a salary and transfer cap.  Nobs.

a salary and transfer cap wont come out of the premier league thats for sure it works against their main philosophy: spend spend spend fuck the long term consequences.

I feel for the portsmouth fans but somebody has to be made an example of if it will get it into the heads of some thick owners that spending way beyond your means is a bad thing. Besides even if they survive today it will only put off their doom for a while, they're fucked and we all know it

Guest neesy111

i have to say, it's about time something like this happened, the bubble can't be like this forever!

the clubs are the one's to blame entirely