FA Cup 4th Round Draw - West Brom (a) if we beat Plymouth

Guest michaelfoster

What on earth are we paying these players a kings ransom for to then go and wrap them up in cotton wool? Fair enough if there are 2 games in a week, you might rotate the squad a little bit, but if like FA Cup weekend you don't have a game until the next weekend, why not have a good go?

Exactimondo  :snod:

There's a difference between the league being a priority, and the FA Cup "meaning f*** all".

The latter part is a pathetic attitude to take, imo.

We aren't gonna win the cup, a bit of a Cinderella run would be nice and I'll cheer for us in every game obviously, but I'd get over it pretty quickly if we went through this tie and lost in the 4th or 5th round.

Aye, because Man United are going to.

:lol fucking hell can't believ I'm being chastised for holding an opinion that a lot held yesterday. What's changed?

Of course we could win it, but its highly unlikely.

Bar the final, there are specific weekends set aside for games. It's not like it'd be getting in the way of the league anyway.

If our players can't cope with an extra three or four games, they shouldn't be f***ing professional footballers anyways.

Very good point. They are professional footballers and it should be upto them and the coaches to get them fit enough to cope with the schedule. It isn't as though Leeds have great strength in depth either and they are in a similar position to us.

Key word, we have struggled with fitness for f***ing years. What is suddenly going to change in the next few months?

That is why I used the word 'should'.

and in should land we have a midfield able to compete, infact fuck that we are in the Premiership because Ashley should have done more to keep us up.

What is the point on speculating about stuff we KNOW isn't going to happen?  :undecided:

We have a better squad than most other Championship sides, tbh. If we aren't going to go for it, then who is?

Man Unit.....oh wait, we've done this already...

They got beaten by Leeds, silly.

We have a better squad than most other Championship sides, tbh. If we aren't going to go for it, then who is?

Man Unit.....oh wait, we've done this already...

They got by Leeds, silly.

In before the edit :pow:

Guest Stephen927

This whole fitness thing pisses me off - if we are fit enough to maintain a healthy squad of players through 46 games this season then surely it doesn't need to be any bigger for the Premiership although the quality may need to improve substantially throughout. An extra 8 games is required this season that's all - 8 so why all of a sudden because we're in the Championship is the F.A. Cup irrelevant?

It's a chance to end a spell of 55years without a domestic cup and I for one would like to die knowing I've seen my town win a cup.

£20,000+ a week and we're expecting too much to expect them to play 8 games more? They're the fuckers who got us in this mess, them and the fat c***.

Fitness my arse.

This wasn't personal btw, I just needed a rant.

Agreed.

It isn't really about winning the cup, it's about putting a good run together of winning games instead of crashing out of the cup and risking the squad morale. A decent cup run will give us a few quid income, and a bit of a buzz about the place, a good feeling about the city.

You can say lets rest players this game doesn't matter, but it still effects players to lose games and the fans.

There's a difference between the league being a priority, and the FA Cup "meaning fuck all".

The latter part is a pathetic attitude to take, imo.

I'd rather we lost yesterday and not have the replay.

Knowing our luck we'll get through after pens crippling the squad for the rest of Jan and play some top 5 team on fire away as per usual.

This whole fitness thing pisses me off - if we are fit enough to maintain a healthy squad of players through 46 games this season then surely it doesn't need to be any bigger for the Premiership although the quality may need to improve substantially throughout. An extra 8 games is required this season that's all - 8 so why all of a sudden because we're in the Championship is the F.A. Cup irrelevant?

It's a chance to end a spell of 55years without a domestic cup and I for one would like to die knowing I've seen my town win a cup.

£20,000+ a week and we're expecting too much to expect them to play 8 games more? They're the fuckers who got us in this mess, them and the fat c***.

Fitness my arse.

Agreed.

It isn't really about winning the cup, it's about putting a good run together of winning games instead of crashing out of the cup and risking the squad morale. A decent cup run will give us a few quid income, and a bit of a buzz about the place, a good feeling about the city.

You can say lets rest players this game doesn't matter, but it still effects players to lose games and the fans.

That run under Souness in 2005 summed it up perfectly. We were on quite a low, but went up against Chelsea and Spurs and beat them both. Before the Semi against Man United, that run was getting people excited and giving the squad a boost in what was a poor league season.

The atmosphere in the 5th round against Chelsea is still one of the best atmospheres I personally have experienced at SJP in a long time.

Guest Stephen927

Bar the final, there are specific weekends set aside for games. It's not like it'd be getting in the way of the league anyway.

If our players can't cope with an extra three or four games, they shouldn't be f***ing professional footballers anyways.

Very good point. They are professional footballers and it should be upto them and the coaches to get them fit enough to cope with the schedule. It isn't as though Leeds have great strength in depth either and they are in a similar position to us.

Key word, we have struggled with fitness for f***ing years. What is suddenly going to change in the next few months?

and in should land we have a midfield able to compete, infact f*** that we are in the Premiership because Ashley should have done more to keep us up.

What is the point on speculating about stuff we KNOW isn't going to happen?  :undecided:

Might as well shut the forum down then if we are not allowed to speculate and talk about things that should be happening. Are we allowed to talk about what tactics the manager should be using, what players he should sign. Hey, it's not going to happen, we shouldn't be talking about it ...

Ok lets talk about Morale, say we get Chelsea who hammer us 6-0. Hardly going to give the lads a boost is it?

No, but neither will giving it a half-arsed attempt. I don't get your point?

EDIT: Of course there could be disappoint, but we're more likely to face disappointment if we dont try. If we do, there's a chance we could do well.

Guest Stephen927

Fitness my arse.

Agreed.

That run under Souness in 2005 summed it up perfectly. We were on quite a low, but went up against Chelsea and Spurs and beat them both. Before the Semi against Man United, that run was getting people excited and giving the squad a boost in what was a poor league season.

The atmosphere in the 5th round against Chelsea is still one of the best atmospheres I personally have experienced at SJP in a long time.

It is a fantastic feeling which is often understated on here. It is such a buzz, Kluiverts goals put us all on a real high. Us fans should be allowed to dream, a cup run even if we don't win it would have a good impact on the team and the fans, give the fans something to sing about again.

Guest Brummiemag

Don't care who we get. This competition means f*** all to us.

How so?

We don't need the distraction, league is priority, we don't have the squad to cope with the injuries we'll obviously pick up.

And next year will probably be exactly the same when we're battling relegation. You could make the excuse to play a weak team every season. Fuck giving up. We arent a nothing club like Bolton or Wigan.

Agree 100%. Theres always going to be a reason for not taking the cup competitions seriously - premier legaue survival, pushing for Europe etc, look at the weakened teams played by the likes of Birmingham and Villa yesterday. I'm sure that this time next year if we are promoted the same voices will be calling for weakened teams in the cup because survival is the priority

Without the cup competitions what else is there to look forward to? Year after year scraping around in the lower half of the Premier League, survival the be all and end all and everything else sacrified for that purpose year after year. No thanks

Is that what we are to become, another Bolton, in effect a club who are telling their fans they have no chance whatsoever of ever winning a trophy because they will always play weakened teams in the cup competitions so that they can try and survive in the Premier League

No thanks, lets get promoted and stay up next season, but never at the expense of a good cup run. Newcastle have a great cup tradition - lets keep it that way

and in should land we have a midfield able to compete, infact f*** that we are in the Premiership because Ashley should have done more to keep us up.

Might as well shut the forum down then if we are not allowed to speculate and talk about things that should be happening. Are we allowed to talk about what tactics the manager should be using, what players he should sign. Hey, it's not going to happen, we shouldn't be talking about it ...

No, there is a difference between what might happen and what won't happen.

We might sign Beckford, Hughton might give Guthrie a game in the centre. We WON'T sort out the shocking fitness levels in the next few months, we WON'T spend £20m in January and we WON'T win this cup.

"Oh defeatest!!!"  :frantic:

A cup run is always nice but don't think I'd be sticking a full team out.

Promotion is the priority, given the fact we already have a paper thin squad (exposed by Scunthorpe and Forest) risking our better players seems a bit pointless.

Playing a weakened line up not only gives the younger lads some experience but protects potential match winners. It's alright saying we shouldn't be wrapping our players in cotton wool but it only takes a couple of injuries and we're up shit creek.

I know the idea of a cup run is fun and all

But have uz seen the football we've been playing?

We're not going to be outplaying prem sides with our class A punt it long tactics.

The whole fairytale win the cup thing is nice, but increasing the risk of us getting potential key injuries that stop us from getting promoted seems a bit important.

Guest Stephen927

Don't care who we get. This competition means f*** all to us.

How so?

We don't need the distraction, league is priority, we don't have the squad to cope with the injuries we'll obviously pick up.

And next year will probably be exactly the same when we're battling relegation. You could make the excuse to play a weak team every season. f*** giving up. We arent a nothing club like Bolton or Wigan.

Agree 100%. Theres always going to be a reason for not taking the cup competitions seriously - premier legaue survival, pushing for Europe etc, look at the weakened teams played by the likes of Birmingham and Villa yesterday. I'm sure that this time next year if we are promoted the same voices will be calling for weakened teams in the cup because survival is the priority

Without the cup competitions what else is there to look forward to? Year after year scraping around in the lower half of the Premier League, survival the be all and end all and everything else sacrified for that purpose year after year. No thanks

Is that what we are to become, another Bolton, in effect a club who are telling their fans they have no chance whatsoever of ever winning a trophy because they will always play weakened teams in the cup competitions so that they can try and survive in the Premier League

No thanks, lets get promoted and stay up next season, but never at the expense of a good cup run. Newcastle have a great cup tradition - lets keep it that way

Well said. It is a welcome distraction from the mundane league.

Guest Stephen927

We might sign Beckford, Hughton might give Guthrie a game in the centre. We WON'T sort out the shocking fitness levels in the next few months, we WON'T spend £20m in January and we WON'T win this cup.

I have never mentioned how much money I think will be available, nor have I said we will win this cup, infact I have said several times I do not think we will win it but the cup run will be invaluable. It is a lot easier to feel the good effects of a cup run when you live in the city and hear people talking about it with positivity.

A cup run is always nice but don't think I'd be sticking a full team out.

Promotion is the priority, given the fact we already have a paper thin squad (exposed by Scunthorpe and Forest) risking our better players seems a bit pointless.

Playing a weakened line up not only gives the younger lads some experience but protects potential match winners. It's alright saying we shouldn't be wrapping our players in cotton wool but it only takes a couple of injuries and we're up shit creek.

:sadnod:

I have never mentioned how much money I think will be available, nor have I said we will win this cup, infact I have said several times I do not think we will win it but the cup run will be invaluable. It is a lot easier to feel the good effects of a cup run when you live in the city and hear people talking about it with positivity.

Those were examples of things that were as likely as us sorting out the fitness at the club.