FA Cup 4th Round Draw - West Brom (a) if we beat Plymouth

Guest michaelfoster

It just utterly ludicrous to suggest that a professional football team can't compete healthily in two competitions.

The FA Cup has like 5 more rounds after this, it's hardly going to hamper promotion chances. And it's not as though every player will go down with a broken leg as soon as they step on the pitch - people are just needlessly overreacting after what happened to Shola and Jonas in the League Cup - that sort of thing doesn't happen every week.

:lol: What if Colo and Enrique got injured at home to Plymouth in the next round? It could happen, and it'd be a needless risk finding out. It'd be an utterly pointless waste of two of our most important players. Aye we can compete in two competitions but i'd rather be 100% healthy for the league, than 90%/10% healthy with the cup thrown in there as a needless distraction. We've hardly got a particularly fit squad anyway.

I honestly see absolutely no gain from going for it in the cup, that's all i'm saying. Morale boost? Nah... we're top as it is and i'd like to keep it that way.

IT COULD HAPPEN IN THE LEAGUE!

Why bother playing Colo and Enrique against Reading? We don't really need the 3 points, we're already top atm. We might as well rest than instead of play them - they might get injured.

:dowie:, But we need them in a cup run which eventually we wont win?

Bollocks man.

I just don't see where this pre-conception comes that a cup game pretty much guarentees an injury? I can't remember too many in our cup run under Souness.

FUCKING ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

No, it doesn't guarantee an injury, fFs, but i'd rather not tempt fate by risking it for something that is absolutely, 100%, totally, completely, thoroughly, nigh impossible to win and just an utterly pointless distraction this year.

EDIT: A cup run that benefitted us how, incidentally? :lol:

Bollocks man.

I just don't see where this pre-conception comes that a cup game pretty much guarentees an injury? I can't remember too many in our cup run under Souness.

No-one has said it guarantees an injury, it does increase the chance though even if its a one in 48 (or whatever) chance. Some people think promotion is a MUCH bigger priority than a cup run and think taking any chances at all isn't worth it.

Bollocks man.

No-one has said it guarantees an injury, it does increase the chance though even if its a one in 48 (or whatever) chance. Some people think promotion is a MUCH bigger priority than a cup run and think taking any chances at all isn't worth it.

Precisely, i honestly can't put it any clearer than that. So i'm off for a shit, inabit.

electrocute

v electrocute [iˈlektrəkjuːt]

1 to kill or injure (a person etc) accidentally by electricity The child was electrocuted when he touched an uncovered electric wire.

:pow:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrocution

Electrocution is also frequently used to refer to any electric shock received but is technically incorrect

The word was created as a combination of of electric + execution.  If you survive, you've just received an electric shock.

Bollocks man.

And nobody on the other side has said that promotion isn't the top priority. It doesn't mean we can't think about anything else.

I want to enjoy football, and being scared into thinking that if I take my eyes off the aim of promotion for one second, it won't happen and we'll stay here.

A cup run doesn't have to 'benefit' the team - believe it or not, as a supporter I want something to get excited about rather than lull around in the dark and muttering 'We must get promoted' to myself over and over again.

Incidently I think it does benefit the team, morale, getting into the habit of winning, it's a challenge which is something we haven't faced this season with the shit in the Championship - winning every game with little effort isn't going to benefit us when we eventually get back up there.

It's pretty obvious that drawing the mackems would be horrible when you look at the two squads. No they're nothing special themselves, but they have a number of players who would walk into our team.

A defeat by the mackems, espescially an embarassing one, could crumble our season, not to mention we'd never hear the end of it. You'd have to be nuts to want to play them right now.

Bollocks man.

And nobody on the other side has said that promotion isn't the top priority. It doesn't mean we can't think about anything else.

I want to enjoy football, and being scared into thinking that if I take my eyes off the aim of promotion for one second, it won't happen and we'll stay here.

A cup run doesn't have to 'benefit' the team - believe it or not, as a supporter I want something to get excited about rather than lull around in the dark and muttering 'We must get promoted' to myself over and over again.

Incidently I think it does benefit the team, morale, getting into the habit of winning, it's a challenge which is something we haven't faced this season with the shit in the Championship - winning every game with little effort isn't going to benefit us when we eventually get back up there.

They did ;)

Bollocks man.

Incidently I think it does benefit the team, morale, getting into the habit of winning, it's a challenge which is something we haven't faced this season with the s*** in the Championship - winning every game with little effort isn't going to benefit us when we eventually get back up there.

They did ;)

Who?

(Incidently, if they did, I would like to make a statement on behalf of the 'pro-FA cup' side which categorically states that said person is an idiot and we are disowning them ;) )

Speaking about morale what happens if we get a decent premiership side, do really go for it starting our best 11 and get fucking humped? Because I can see a number of premiership sides doing it to us.

The fans and players aren't going to be very confident after that and I don't think "well at least we gave it a go" will be considered.

People wanting us to play Sunderland are also mental, despite going through a bad patch they are still much better than us. I dreaded the games when we were the better side, fuck playing them now. Yes it would be amazing to beat them but if we got humiliated (and there is a better chance) it would be fucking horrible.

The bottom line of this debate is that for some people, myself included, the FA Cup is just as important as promotion or staying in the Premier League.

I would just as soon rest players for a League game as I would for the FA Cup, because in my opinion its just as important. If given the choice I would rather win the FA Cup than get promoted, because after 55 years without one its long overdue. I know other Newcastle fans who go to far more games than me who think the same thing. In actual fact theres no reason why you cant get promoted and have a good cup run, it didnt do Burnley any harm last season

I wonder which game most Leeds fans will remember and enjoy the most from this season?

Speaking about morale what happens if we get a decent premiership side, do really go for it starting our best 11 and get f***ing humped? Because I can see a number of premiership sides doing it to us.

It won't do much for morlae but I'd hope it'd act as a fucking wake up call.

Half of them strut around that pitch like they're too good that they don't have to put in much effort. We have been shit this season, and haven't even stepped out of 2nd gear.

If we carry on as we are, Hughton will think he's a tactical god, Ashley will think he has a team that can win the PL, and the likes of Nolan and Butt will think they're Champions League standard players.

A defeat by a decent PL side would be a slap in the face and tell them to pull their fingers out and actually put some effort in.

The bottom line of this debate is that for some people, myself included, the FA Cup is just as important as promotion or staying in the Premier League.

I would just as soon rest players for a League game as I would for the FA Cup, because in my opinion its just as important. If given the choice I would rather win the FA Cup than get promoted, because after 55 years without one its long overdue. I know other Newcastle fans who go to far more games than me who think the same thing. In actual fact theres no reason why you cant get promoted and have a good cup run, it didnt do Burnley any harm last season

I wonder which game most Leeds fans will remember and enjoy the most from this season?

Aye, but BrummieMag just isn't right in the head.

The 99% of the board realise that promotion is priority.

We have already drawn or lost to teams that on paper we should have beaten. I haven't noticed much of a difference to the way we played so don't see how losing to a premiership side will be any different.

We have already drawn or lost to teams that on paper we should have beaten. I haven't noticed much of a difference to the way we played so don't see how losing to a premiership side will be any different.

If it didn't make a difference then doesn't it defeat your own argument?

A defeat by a decent PL side would be a slap in the face and tell them to pull their fingers out and actually put some effort in.

:no:

Would make not 1 iota of difference to their attitude and I am not convinced it would spark Hughton into reading them the riot act.

If it didn't make a difference then doesn't it defeat your own argument?

It was a counter argument.

:no:

Would make not 1 iota of difference to their attitude and I am not convinced it would spark Hughton into reading them the riot act.

might just Kibosh our season when they realise how shit they really are.

Speaking about morale what happens if we get a decent premiership side, do really go for it starting our best 11 and get f***ing humped? Because I can see a number of premiership sides doing it to us.

It won't do much for morlae but I'd hope it'd act as a f***ing wake up call.

Half of them strut around that pitch like they're too good that they don't have to put in much effort. We have been s*** this season, and haven't even stepped out of 2nd gear.

If we carry on as we are, Hughton will think he's a tactical god, Ashley will think he has a team that can win the PL, and the likes of Nolan and Butt will think they're Champions League standard players.

That's one way of looking at it. Or they could just wilt under the criticism and feel sorry for themselves. We saw them do it last season - that final day against Villa was a disgrace and they'd had slaps in the face all season.

I can only ever want us to win, but I would take a good look at our squad before getting excited about the prospect of a cup run. Two injuries could turn our season around - take out Taylor and Nolan and it could be the difference between 1st and 3rd. We have been fortunate with injuries so far this year - we have no cover in central defence at all and only two natural wingers. We saw what happened last time Taylor and Colo got crocked - our lead at the top is still a slender one if you ask me and I think people are forgetting that a couple of key injuries would cripple us.

This season is all about the bigger picture. I will always want us to win but I wouldn't shed any tears if we bowed out the FA Cup early and won the championship.

But what if we lost Taylor and Nolan in a league game? at least we lost them in a game that mattered? Rubbish - it'd have the same effect.

It'd fuck up our season if we lost them in the FA Cup Semi Final, or at home to Preston.