The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Something that hasn't been mentioned much is how our football style has improved as we've added the right type of players as the season has progressed. Like many i was mightily pissed off when we resorted to long ball football early on in the season, but the football we have played since January has been good enough to please anyone. So I would say Hughton's already shown far more flexibility and understanding of squad dynamics than Fat Sam Allardyce who's disastrous attempts to play long ball football with small players made him the laughing stock of the north east.

He's a novelty in that he's actually adapted when something hasn't work. There are quite a few managers, even new ones (Roy Keane for example) who stick to their guns.

Flexibility is one of the most important traits for a good manager.

Firstly, it means you cut your cloth according to what you have - i.e. if you have a squad of cloggers then you play to their strengths (unlike Sammy Lee for example, who tried to play good football with Bolton during his spell). Beyond that, it means that you can vary the style of play over time by signing better players... which Hughton has done. 

Also, he realised that we didn't need the defensive midfielder, and he got rid of Smith/Butt and moved Guthrie inside. This took longer than some people wanted (me for one), but it shows it was in his mind. If anything, the fact that he only made that change when he knew we were ready for it is even better.

Firstly, it means you cut your cloth according to what you have - i.e. if you have a squad of cloggers then you play to their strengths (unlike Sammy Lee for example, who tried to play good football with Bolton during his spell). Beyond that, it means that you can vary the style of play over time by signing better players... which Hughton has done. 

Also, he realised that we didn't need the defensive midfielder, and he got rid of Smith/Butt and moved Guthrie inside. This took longer than some people wanted (me for one), but it shows it was in his mind. If anything, the fact that he only made that change when he knew we were ready for it is even better.

I think Guthrie was on the right out of necessity more than anything else. Until we got Routledge he was arguably the best option on the wing.

I think Guthrie was on the right out of necessity more than anything else. Until we got Routledge he was arguably the best option on the wing.

I agree pretty much, I didn't rate him on the right but we didn't have many options. It's great that he didn't get dropped though, he got moved inside where he's most effective.

I agree pretty much, I didn't rate him on the right but we didn't have many options. It's great that he didn't get dropped though, he got moved inside where he's most effective.

Best passer of the ball at the club IMO.

We sometimes talk about Hughton as if he's some new kid on the block, which of course he is relatively speaking, in terms of being manager. But he's spent his entire working life involved with football at the highest level so being in the Premier League should in no way overawe him.

We sometimes talk about Hughton as if he's some new kid on the block, which of course he is, relatively speaking, in terms of being manager. But he's spent his entire working life involved with football at the highest level so being in the Premier League should in no way overawe him.

It's certainly better than parachuting in a totally unproven manager like Zola, Keane, or even Shearer.

Guest malandro

We sometimes talk about Hughton as if he's some new kid on the block, which of course he is, relatively speaking, in terms of being manager. But he's spent his entire working life involved with football at the highest level so being in the Premier League should in no way overawe him.

It's certainly better than parachuting in a totally unproven manager like Zola, Keane, or even Shearer.

He was a totally unproven manager, and still is in many ways.

He was a totally unproven manager, and still is in many ways.

in some ways yes but he has had a season of learning to handle being the manager rather than attempting to learn on the job in the prem ala zola (keane not really unproven just proven to not be very good) or shearer in 8 games which will stand him in good stead next season rather than his former role of firefighting in bad situations as he had to do in caretaker stints

Guest malandro

Funny you should mention Keane. He took a struggling Sunderland from the bottom half of the table to the CCC title, which has to stand par with anything Hughton has achieved this season. Yet his managerial failings were quickly exposed by the rigours of the PL. 

Funny you should mention Keane. He took a struggling Sunderland from the bottom half of the table to the CCC title, which has to stand par with anything Hughton has achieved this season. Yet his managerial failings were quickly exposed by the rigours of the PL. 

money spent mate look at the sheer amount of cash he was given at sunderland and how much of it was value for money?

What does that prove really other than there are only  handful of genuinely talented managers, the rest are just former pros having a go. You can pay a Souness, Keane or O'Leary big money and take your chances but it doesn't guarantee success.

Guest malandro

money spent mate look at the sheer amount of cash he was given at sunderland and how much of it was value for money?

Was the squad he inherited as good as the one Hughton started the season with?

I’m not against Hughton, but there’s a lot of bollocks being talked about how brilliant he is. He’s had one good season with a very strong squad filled with players he didn’t bring in.

Guest Chris P

This thread is leading nicely into us getting bummed in the face by peterborough and people disliking him again :lol:

As i said.

FICKLE

Keane's aura managed to get him through his first season at SAFC. He's been woeful ever since, even in the CCC.

Guest BooBoo

Keane's aura managed to get him through his first season at SAFC. He's been woeful ever since, even in the CCC.

All Keane has in his locker is "I'll scare this lot into playing well". That can only last so long before massive failings, which Keane has in droves, shine through.

Guest malandro

All Keane has in his locker is "I'll scare this lot into playing well". That can only last so long before massive failings, which Keane has in droves, shine through.

It could be argued all Hughton has is locker is being nice. The total opposite to Keane but a one trick pony nonetheless. I don’t claim to know how Hughton will fair next season but I’m not going to jump on the he’s the next Rinus Michels bandwagon on the basis of what I’ve seen this season.

No credit for Ashley, no credit for Hughton. In the malandroverse, a thoroughly miserable continuum, we are top of the table by four points with a game in hand, unbeaten at home since the start of the season, purely on account of one poor fluke after another.

Was the squad he inherited as good as the one Hughton started the season with?

I’m not against Hughton, but there’s a lot of bollocks being talked about how brilliant he is. He’s had one good season with a very strong squad filled with players he didn’t bring in.

This.

Guest malandro

No credit for Ashley, no credit for Hughton. In the malandroverse, a thoroughly miserable continuum, we are top of the table by four points with a game in hand, unbeaten at home since the start of the season, purely on account of one poor fluke after another.

Let’s see how next season goes before prematurely ejaculating over one good season in a poor league.

Guest malandro

It might not be a popular in certain circles, but it is a fact that Hughton found himself managing the most expensively assembled and highly paid squad in the division. Not to mention by far the best supported team. He started with an advantage and maintained it. This isn’t to take away from what he has achieved, only to put it into perspective.

Perhaps the debate needs to be turned around and ask what could he have done to scupper our promotion bid that he didn’t?

It might not be a popular in certain circles, but it is a fact that Hughton found himself managing the most expensively assembled and highly paid squad in the division. Not to mention by far the best supported team. He started with an advantage and maintained it. This isnt to take away from what he has achieved, only to put it into perspective.

Perhaps the debate needs to be turned around and ask what could he have done to scupper our promotion bid that he didnt?

Walk out when we didn't sign Victor Moses.