The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

CHRIS HUGHTON has explained why he took off two his star performers in the 2-1 defeat against Stoke City in Hatem Ben Arfa and Cheik Tiote.

Both his summer signings were shining against the Potters, with Ben Arfa full of running and Tiote putting in another solid and tidy display against Tony Pulis’ side.

Hughton threw on Jonas Gutierrez on 62 minutes for the Frenchman, with United leading 1-0 as he looked to help find that second goal.

And when Stoke pegged themselves back through Kenwyne Jones five minutes later, Tiote was sacrificed for Shola Ameobi as Kevin Nolan dropped back into midfield.

Hughton told the Chronicle: “I was looking to win the game.

“With Jonas, he can be more direct in the way he runs at the ball, and for Tiote because he’s very much a defensive midfield player.

“What I had left on the pitch were two strikers in Andy Carroll and Shola, and a midfield player in Kevin Nolan, that are all capable of scoring goals.

“I wanted to leave goalscorers on the pitch.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2010/09/27/nufc-boss-hughton-defends-tactical-switch-72703-27349389/#ixzz10kY8em5z

If that is his comments/justifications...then he has clearly not learnt his lessons. Yes Chris it is good to have goal scorers on the pitch but could you not see that HBA in the middle (replacing the knackered Nolan) with Jonas on the left would have been more of a threat than having two immobile strikers 'supported' by the lumbering Nolan? 

Is this thread not evidence enough why Hughton should never have got the job in the first place? A few games into the season and we already have people questioning the managers tactics. I also find it amazing that people are willing to put up with a 52 year old  manager learning the game. For a club of our size we should never have him in charge, home results this season would also indicate we haven't improved at all from 2 seasons ago.

Worrying times when we almost have a fully fit squad.

Is this thread not evidence enough why Hughton should never have got the job in the first place? A few games into the season and we already have people questioning the managers tactics. I also find it amazing that people are willing to put up with a 52 year old manager learning the game. For a club of our size we should never have him in charge, home results this season would also indicate we haven't improved at all from 2 seasons ago.

Doubt there's a club in England where that's not happening tbh. Nature of the beast.

The rest of your post is a load of nonsense, he got us promoted with 100+ points. Stuff about "club of our size" is just arrogance based on nothing. He earned the job unlike a lot of Premier League managers who get given them as soon as they've hung their boots up because of what their name is or who they played for.

CHRIS HUGHTON has explained why he took off two his star performers in the 2-1 defeat against Stoke City in Hatem Ben Arfa and Cheik Tiote.

Both his summer signings were shining against the Potters, with Ben Arfa full of running and Tiote putting in another solid and tidy display against Tony Pulis’ side.

Hughton threw on Jonas Gutierrez on 62 minutes for the Frenchman, with United leading 1-0 as he looked to help find that second goal.

And when Stoke pegged themselves back through Kenwyne Jones five minutes later, Tiote was sacrificed for Shola Ameobi as Kevin Nolan dropped back into midfield.

Hughton told the Chronicle: “I was looking to win the game.

“With Jonas, he can be more direct in the way he runs at the ball, and for Tiote because he’s very much a defensive midfield player.

“What I had left on the pitch were two strikers in Andy Carroll and Shola, and a midfield player in Kevin Nolan, that are all capable of scoring goals.

“I wanted to leave goalscorers on the pitch.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2010/09/27/nufc-boss-hughton-defends-tactical-switch-72703-27349389/#ixzz10kY8em5z

If that is his comments/justifications...then he has clearly not learnt his lessons. Yes Chris it is good to have goal scorers on the pitch but could you not see that HBA in the middle (replacing the knackered Nolan) with Jonas on the left would have been more of a threat than having two immobile strikers 'supported' by the lumbering Nolan? 

nolan got his chance at the end, which if he had scored would have justified Hughtons decision. unfortunately- he fluffed it.

Hughton needs to address the lack of movement up front. After we signed Routledge, he and Lovenkrands would constantly open defences up with the former playing through balls for the latter, we scored a lot of goals like that after January. Whatever you think of Lovenkrands, we desperately miss his movement because Carroll and Nolan have zero. Ben Arfa constantly picked the ball up waiting for a runner to go only to see the front pair standing still.

Yup.

Is this thread not evidence enough why Hughton should never have got the job in the first place? A few games into the season and we already have people questioning the managers tactics. I also find it amazing that people are willing to put up with a 52 year old  manager learning the game. For a club of our size we should never have him in charge, home results this season would also indicate we haven't improved at all from 2 seasons ago.

People would question Shearer's, Kinnear's, Sir Bobbie's, Keegan's and even Mourinho's tactics if we were losing 2-1 to Stoke City.

We have improved very much, we're playing decent football, only the second half performance let us down this time. Against Blackpool, converting chances let us down.

Give Hughton time, he's done so much for this club, he deserves credit and he deserves time to get things right in the Premier League like he did in the Championship.

Am I the only person who thought the subs actually worked yesterday?

Jonas was a massive improvement on Ben Arfa who was poor.

Tiote played well, but the shift to a straight (and more attacking 442) saw us play better football in attacking areas when we were trying to win the game.

Tiote and Ben Arfa would not have stopped the individual mistakes that led to their goals.

The change in system saw us at least create a few scoring chances.

I think Hughton's getting stick because he took off the new signings, regardless of whether it helped when they went off (which it did - certainly in Ben Arfa's case).

Why was Bafra poor exactly? He's not going to score wondergoals every game. [/wink] He is the only player we have who can give good passes into the box and he did that, just that there wa nobody there except Carroll marked by about 500 Jabba's.

He's obviously not going to be amazing every game, and I'm not suggesting that. I just thought he was poor. He rarely attempted to run at anyone, and there was 4 or or 5 occassions where Barton was trying to tell him to go past Carroll from flick ons and he just stood there. Obviously, there is a language barrier there to break down, but I just thought he was poor, and practically marked out of the game.

Right see what you're getting at. The real criminal imo was Routledge, just look at the failed passes stats. Failed to find a man at an alarmingly high rate. The opp half is half red on Routledges side where he misses passes/crosses.

Doubt there's a club in England where that's not happening tbh. Nature of the beast.

The rest of your post is a load of nonsense, he got us promoted with 100+ points. Stuff about "club of our size" is just arrogance based on nothing. He earned the job unlike a lot of Premier League managers who get given them as soon as they've hung their boots up because of what their name is or who they played for.

Fans of other clubs are not questioning their manager like people are in this thread.  I'm also sick of all this earnt the job rubbish, are we the only club in England where people earn a job? It was the same with Roeder, there's nothing in Hughton's background to suggest he's suited to managing a club like Newcastle. For once can we not appoint a manager with a proven track record?

Getting promotion means nothing to me, not with the squad he had. That's not with the benefit of hingsight either as I just didn't rate the Championship. Look at the managers who have got other clubs promoted last season and in the past, not many I rate.

Maybe I am arrogant but I do believe a club with the 3rd highest attendance should have a manager better than Hughton, that's what I base my opinion on.

Bit of an aside but a few weeks ago there was a programme about Newcastle on BBC 4, which looked at the city over the last 100 years and you could see on there how central football is to the city unlike a lot of other places. I've moved away from the Newcastle and that programme reinforced a lot of what I've felt for a long time, it really is a special place to play, manage  and that we are abig club.

Fans of other clubs are not questioning their manager like people are in this thread.  I'm also sick of all this earnt the job rubbish, are we the only club in England where people earn a job? It was the same with Roeder, there's nothing in Hughton's background to suggest he's suited to managing a club like Newcastle. For once can we not appoint a manager with a proven track record?

Getting promotion means nothing to me, not with the squad he had. That's not with the benefit of hingsight either as I just didn't rate the Championship. Look at the managers who have got other clubs promoted last season and in the past, not many I rate.

Maybe I am arrogant but I do believe a club with the 3rd highest attendance should have a manager better than Hughton, that's what I base my opinion on.

Bit of an aside but a few weeks ago there was a programme about Newcastle on BBC 4, which looked at the city over the last 100 years and you could see on there how central football is to the city unlike a lot of other places. I've moved away from the Newcastle and that programme reinforced a lot of what I've felt for a long time, it really is a special place to play, manage  and that we are abig club.

:dowiespin:

I thought  Tiote needed to come off.  He was starting to give away possession too easily.  He was making nice passes in the first half but started feeling the heat after the half when they closed him down more.  He needs more time to acclimate to the Premiership, IMO.  I got the impression that Hughton felt obligated to bring in Jonas to play in his normal position.  The move that Hughton has to make, and it's one that has already been discussed, is he needs to get Jonas and HBA on the pitch together.  Playing Jonas on the left wing with HBA in the hole behind Carroll is the way to go.  

Jonas and HBA can really disrupt a defense.  They can bend it about and play off each other.  They can take pressure off of Routledge so he can cross to Carroll or cut inside.  Enrique can cross from the left.  They can also overlap on Carroll and be counter targets for Barton and Tiote from deeper positions.  With those two running around the attack can strike from left, right or middle, in the air or on the deck and that would make them very difficult to defend.  It would also allow the club to target specific areas of weakness of their opponent and punish them.

I thought  Tiote needed to come off.  He was starting to give away possession too easily.  He was making nice passes in the first half but started feeling the heat after the half when they closed him down more.  He needs more time to acclimate to the Premiership, IMO.  I got the impression that Hughton felt obligated to bring in Jonas to play in his normal position.  The move that Hughton has to make, and it's one that has already been discussed, is he needs to get Jonas and HBA on the pitch together.  Playing Jonas on the left wing with HBA in the hole behind Carroll is the way to go.  

Jonas and HBA can really disrupt a defense.  They can bend it about and play off each other.  They can take pressure off of Routledge so he can cross to Carroll or cut inside.  Enrique can cross from the left.  They can also overlap on Carroll and be counter targets for Barton and Tiote from deeper positions.  With those two running around the attack can strike from left, right or middle, in the air or on the deck and that would make them very difficult to defend.  It would also allow the club to target specific areas of weakness of their opponent and punish them.

Dont agree at all with the Tiote part, however Im with you on the HBA and Jonas part.

I think taking Tiote was a mistake since we had no one to play in that position. If he was to be taken off than Smith had to go in. We needed someone who could win possesion and just pass it fast. Nolan didn't contribute except a goal.

Absolutely, the only way to go is this.

Hopefully Hughton will see it before too long... the bullet needs to be bitten ASAP.

The problem is Carroll, Nolan, Routledge and Perch are not PL quality.

Carroll surely is? He's only going to get better as well.

Who should you have in charge instead? Of course people question the manager's tactics. That's what fans do and go to Man Utd, Arsenal, Barcelona, Accrington and Sunderland forums and you'll see it is exactly the same. With this game, where I and seemingly everyone else thought Hughton got it wrong, it is up to him to respond, and respond swiftly.

Also, home results this season would indicate you've had 2 poor results, not that you "haven't improved at all". Would the team from 2 years ago have come to Goodison and outplay a top 6 aiming team for large parts, for example?

Dont agree at all with the Tiote part, however Im with you on the HBA and Jonas part.

I think taking Tiote was a mistake since we had no one to play in that position. If he was to be taken off than Smith had to go in. We needed someone who could win possesion and just pass it fast. Nolan didn't contribute except a goal.

Yeah, not having a ready replacement for Tiote is a good point.  I guess Smith could have gone in with instructions to win the ball and hoof it forward.  That still might have been better than giving the ball away in the midfield though.  I'm not knocking Tiote mind you, just think he's going to need some games to get up to speed.  He didn't know the opposition or his teammates well enough to adjust to the way they closed him down in the 2nd half, that's all.

The problem is Carroll, Nolan, Routledge and Perch are not PL quality.

Carroll surely is? He's only going to get better as well.

Who should you have in charge instead? Of course people question the manager's tactics. That's what fans do and go to Man Utd, Arsenal, Barcelona, Accrington and Sunderland forums and you'll see it is exactly the same. With this game, where I and seemingly everyone else thought Hughton got it wrong, it is up to him to respond, and respond swiftly.

Also, home results this season would indicate you've had 2 poor results, not that you "haven't improved at all". Would the team from 2 years ago have come to Goodison and outplay a top 6 aiming team for large parts, for example?

2 quotes from a page or two back:

"Like someone said, his loyalty to Nolan could cost us and him badly."

"we are going to lose matches....and Hughton will eventually lose his job"

Both inferring that Hughton could lose his job soon and there are others I could quote. I don't disagree with those sentiments but it's crazy that people are even writing these things so soon into the season. I haven't checked but I'm sure other fans are not writing this type of stuff. This is because of the simple fact that Hughton did not "earn the right" to manage NUFC at the top level, no one knows what he's going to be like in the top flight but so far it has not been good. To think that this team would have really been up for it after Blackpool and we still got beat of Stoke.

If the team from two seasons ago performed like they did at Old Trafford on the opening day then yes I would be confident of beating Everton this season as they will not be top 6, more mid table.

With regards to managers available, since the summer we could have got Mark Hughes and Houllier if we showed a little ambition, both miles ahead of Hughton.

We aren't the first side to be undone by Stoke's "direct" approach and we certainly won't be the last. It is clearly very difficult to play against. They don't know any other way and the only extent to which they have a plan B is bringing on Ricardo Fuller. We all knew what was coming as must Hughton. Ultimately we didn't have the physical presence in our back 4 to handle it - and Jones could have had a hat trick easily.

I honestly don't know if we have the players in our squad to deal with the likes of Stoke but Campbell and Saylor would surely offer something in that sort of game in place of Collo and Perch. Hughton was unlucky in that neither were available (apparently Sol had an injury?) but he would have needed some balls to drop Collo who has mostly looked good this season. I'm still in Hughton's camp, he's still learning.  I've always said I think we'll survive but it won't be without a lot of stress and some horrible results.

Now I'm not eating time for a proper response:

Err... Yeah they are. As others have said it's the nature of the beast, fans frequently question the tactics of their team and decisions of their manager. This doesn't mean he hasn't earned it. When Hughton took over it was sink or swim. There were predictions of a second relegation and the potential to stagnate in the Championship but Hughton played a part in turning it round and getting us back into the Premier League in emphatic fashion, in my eyes that alone earns him the right to have a crack at keeping us up.

You mean the squad that got relegated? The squad with arguably the worst midfield in the Premier League? The squad that got taken apart 5-1 by Leyton Orient? A squad rock bottom on confidence having just lurched out of the worst season in the clubs recent history. You can phrase it anyway you want but for Hughton to turn it round so quickly having just had the season we'd had was fantastic.

What's attendance got to with this? Derby County get more through the gates than some Premier League clubs, should they be chasing a higher class of manager too? That comment typifies the typical media stereotype of a Newcastle fan's attitude, some perspective is required. Out of interest who do you propose?

Why is this relevant?

Err... Yeah they are. As others have said it's the nature of the beast, fans frequently question the tactics of their team and decisions of their manager. This doesn't mean he hasn't earned it. When Hughton took over it was sink or swim. There were predictions of a second relegation and the potential to stagnate in the Championship but Hughton played a part in turning it round and getting us back into the Premier League in emphatic fashion, in my eyes that alone earns him the right to have a crack at keeping us up.

You mean the squad that got relegated? The squad with arguably the worst midfield in the Premier League? The squad that got taken apart 5-1 by Leyton Orient? A squad rock bottom on confidence having just lurched out of the worst season in the clubs recent history. You can phrase it anyway you want but for Hughton to turn it round so quickly having just had the season we'd had was fantastic.

What's attendance got to with this? Derby County get more through the gates than some Premier League clubs, should they be chasing a higher class of manager too? That comment typifies the typical media stereotype of a Newcastle fan's attitude, some perspective is required. Out of interest who do you propose?

Why is this relevant?

:thup:

Why is this relevant?

See my post above about the nature of the criticism on this thread about Hughton, I posted at 7:42pm.

Do you really want to talk about the merits of our squad with regards to Hughton doing a good job? I don't know the exact figure but I would bet we had by far the most expensive squad to have ever been in the Championship, a squad with 2 current Argentinean internationals, three experienced central midfielders,  £4 million-ish left back, England under 21 centre half, Ameobi/Lovenkrands who have a lot of experience of top level football/European football.

I don’t think it was fantastic to win the Championship with our team, the Championship is a poor league. If Hughton did a fantastic job, how would describe what Holloway did at Blackpool?

Attendance has got everything to do with it, it shows how much money is coming into the club, it shows how  much potential is there if we have a good manager who knows how to build a team without the owner putting money in. It is also an attractive to a potential manager. You quote Derby who may be get 5-10,000 more fans than some premier league teams, we get more 25,000 more than some teams in the league, that what makes us a lot different.

With regards to who I would propose, again see my post at 7:42pm. Not fantastic managers but managers who are realistic and could build a platform at Newcastle  for some later to take on. All proven managers.

The reason that the last part is relevant is that football is central to lot of people’s lives in Newcastle and as such the most important person at the club, i.e. the manager, should be someone who has managed at the top level, someone who has a proven track record. The club is far too important to too many people to have Hughton in charge.

Why is this relevant?

See my post above about the nature of the criticism on this thread about Hughton, I posted at 7:42pm.

The criticism of Hughton is warrented in term of his poor use of substitutions in my eyes. Doesn't mean I want the bloke sacked, a few quality of Premeir League managers struggle with substitutions ala Moyes. One thing that has impressed me about Hughton is his willingness to learn from his mistakes, in the coming weeks we will see if he's going to rectify the current issues in his management and in the team, bencing Nolan at home being the issue most will point out most.

Who says Hughes would have taken the job? There's still a lack of confidence and an element of unpredictability in the Ashley regime. I know I sure wouldn't go near it at this moment in time if I were an abitious manager.

Do you really want to talk about the merits of our squad with regards to Hughton doing a good job? I don't know the exact figure but I would bet we had by far the most expensive squad to have ever been in the Championship, a squad with 2 current Argentinean internationals, three experienced central midfielders,  £4 million-ish left back, England under 21 centre half, Ameobi/Lovenkrands who have a lot of experience of top level football/European football.

It was less to do with the quality of the squad and more to do with the motivation, confidence and team spirit installed. Especially given the set of circumstances he did it in.

I don’t think it was fantastic to win the Championship with our team, the Championship is a poor league. If Hughton did a fantastic job, how would describe what Holloway did at Blackpool?

He did a bloody fantastic job.

Attendance has got everything to do with it, it shows how much money is coming into the club, it shows how  much potential is there if we have a good manager who knows how to build a team without the owner putting money in. It is also an attractive to a potential manager. You quote Derby who may be get 5-10,000 more fans than some premier league teams, we get more 25,000 more than some teams in the league, that what makes us a lot different.

See the quotes above about the attractiveness of the club. The potantial is undoubtedly but then I could reel of a list of clubs in the Championship clubs that have 'potantial', again perspective is required. We're a long way from being one of the big boys. We need to first and foremost establish ourselves in the league and I'm willing to give Hughton a shot at that. There may come a time when he has to go but at the minute I'm fairly confident we'll pick up enough points with him at the helm.

With regards to who I would propose, again see my post at 7:42pm. Not fantastic managers but managers who are realistic and could build a platform at Newcastle  for some later to take on. All proven managers.

The reason that the last part is relevant is that football is central to lot of people’s lives in Newcastle and as such the most important person at the club, i.e. the manager, should be someone who has managed at the top level, someone who has a proven track record. The club is far too important to too many people to have Hughton in charge.

Look where 'proven' managers have got taken before.