The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Perch's starting position was shocking though. The reason Huth would have scored had he not headed it himself was because Perch was in a terrible position to start.

Perch shouldn't be marking Huth to start with imo.

That's a fair point but he's a defender so should be more alert. Carroll showed for the first goal it's no good simply having a tall, good header of the ball marking a striker like that if they're not defensively aware, which is what Perch's job is to be. There's an angle from behind the goal where you see he's half asleep to Huth's run and is late reacting to it. Huth could have been 6'4 or 4'6 and that would have still been a goal simply down to lack of concentration and reacting too slowly to the run. It's only a split second Huth has on him but should have still done better.

We could easily have beaten Stoke, in which case we'd have been 5th, having beaten Everton and Chelsea away in our previous games. There would have been calls for Chris to be given a knighthood.

We've been weak at defending set pieces for the last two years, and Stoke are a team practically designed to exploit that. Of the back four, only Williamson consistently gets his head to the ball in those situations, and we rely a lot on Carroll coming back to help. Those two can't be everywhere at once, and yesterday we were caught out.

If I have a criticism of Hughton it's that he didn't anticipate that problem by bringing in Campbell, but there again it's not easy to change a winning side. Subbing Ben Arfa and Tiote were okay decisions - Ben Arfa had run out of steam and, as Hughton has said, he preferred to keep Nolan on as a goalscorer - which he is.

Hard to argue with any of that.

We should really be going 4-4-2 against Stoke and Blackpool at home though, and I feel we have paid the price for over-respecting these teams. When weaker teams come to our ground, we look like we can put these teams on the back foot and should look to take advantage. Carroll on his own, it plays into these teams' hands. That was Hughton's mistake, but hopefully we will have two up top for Wigan at home. As for Man City, that's more the sort of game you'd expect the 5 man midfield.

We are never going to agree but just a few points, I would say now more than ever is the time you want an experienced manager. You can take a chance with either a proven manager/poor team or unproven manager/good team but not an unproven manager/poor team.

Again you list Championship teams who have potential but none of them are in our league, nowhere near apart from Leeds. I honestly think Newcastle fans are really suffering some sort of identity crisis, there’s an aversion to thinking big. All you hear on here is “no more trophy signings” with people like Boumsong and Luque in mind completely forgetting “trophy signings” like Ferdinand and Shearer. Also hear stuff like where have proven managers got us? We haven’t really had that many, the only one with a good track record was Robson and his record speaks for itself. Every other proven manager had a long record of being s***, Dalglish being the exception. Finally this thing about living up to the Sky Sports/media stereotype, well I couldn’t give  a toss about them.

All I know is that there is a lot of money coming into our club, we have a lot of full paying fans and for that alone we should be doing a lot better than we are. Black and white. I don't fall for all this stuff about the club having no money.

Final point is that I don’t think we are that far off the top boys as I think this is the poorest the PL has been since its inception. We’re a long way off top 4 but to get to around 7th would not be too difficult with a good manager and a bit of backing. Indeed my only hope of us staying up is that the league is not that strong.

Someone said Hughes hasn’t proven anything but he does have experience of the top flight and did an alright job at Blackburn. Nothing spectacular but a steady job.

If not Hughes there are other managers, I can’t imagine many on here choosing Hughton last summer after Shearer did not get the job. Everyone would have opted for other managers, managers that are still out there.

In a way I admire your attitude and ambition but at the same time I can't help but feel you've lost touch with the reality that faces the club in the modern game. There's no denying we have potential and one I'd love nothing more to see that come to fruition but I can't help but feel your over simplifying the issue.

I don't think fans are suffering from an 'identity crisis' but finally realism coupled with lowerd expectation are finally starting to hit home. I agree, after the top seven/eight clubs in the country there is little to choose from but to attempt to break into that top bracket you need cash. With Ashley's unwillingness to retain any form of debt it is unlikely we will ever make massive waves in the transfer market hence it will be diffciult to break into that pack of teams and 'think big'. I think at this moment in time such an arguement is void anyway because we are a long way from being a regular top seven/eight club, we simply don't have the players. It will take time to put together a quality squad.

Taking this into account our primary aim for this season should be to aim for mid-table. I've always held the theory aim for the sky, if you fall a little short you've still done pretty well. If we aim to avoid relegation we'll probably go down. Having seen our start to the season I'm pretty confident we can do this and this is down to Hughton. The football has been alright, we've created chances and we look a damn sight better than some of the sides you'd expect to be down there come may. He's starting to put together a decent side with the additions of Tiote and Ben Arfa.

People are starting to question his position because of the way we set up at home. Time will tell but I wouldn't at all be suprised if he changed things at Wigan because his flexability and willingness to learn from past errors has been one of his positive attributes which has served us well in the past. We have to acknowledge he has made mistakes and one day his position may become untenable but as it stands I feel confident he can lay a decent foundation for a quality manager to come in and move us on.

Taking that into account I'm in no great rush to change things. I can't see an 'experienced manager' coming in and dropping Nolan nor can I see an experienced manager changing much and hence doing a better job than Hughton currently is. It's going to be a stop start season, picking up points here and there. There's going to be major disappoinments but thats all part and parcel of being a newly promoted club, get used to it no matter who's in charge.

He lost a bit of my faith on Sunday tbh. The tactics were wrong, we saw that against Blackpool and he didn't learn. His substitutions were awful, although Jonas did well when he came on, taking off our best chance of a creating a goal and leaving on a passenger, then taking off the player running midfield, made no sense at all.

His handling of Nolan will define his mangerial credentials, if he can show some balls and pick the best team we have regardless of reputation and influence in the dressing room, he'll show he's a real manager. I would imagine he'll stick with the same team against Man Shitty but what will be really interesting is the team he picks for the next home game against Wigan.

Even though I was extremely pissed off with him on Sunday, I also didn't have that underlying wondering whether he should still be manager or not like for some of our managers past.

I guess I do trust him to learn after all, even if only subconsciously :lol:

Even though I was extremely pissed off with him on Sunday, I also didn't have that underlying wondering whether he should still be manager or not like for some of our managers past.

I guess I do trust him to learn after all, even if only subconsciously :lol:

hee he... :lol:

It's pretty funny how people think they know better than Hughton. 'He needs to learn' - Such a patronizing comment about someone who knows far more about football, far more about management and far more about the team.

What a stupid post.

It's pretty funny how people think they know better than Hughton. 'He needs to learn' - Such a patronizing comment about someone who knows far more about football, far more about management and far more about the team.

Righto, let's close down the forum then people.

Didn't realised you needed a UEFA licence to express an opinion about your team.

Righto, let's close down the forum then people.

Didn't realised you needed a UEFA licence to express an opinion about your team.

Uefa 'B' minimum apparently.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/8420810.Hughton_says_he_will_stick_with__key__man_Nolan/

CHRIS Hughton has claimed Kevin Nolan is the “key” to his preferred system at Newcastle United, and hinted he will continue to play the midfielder in an attacking midfield role despite Sunday’s 2-1 defeat to Stoke.

Nolan has started all six of the Magpies’ Premier League matches this season, and while a return of three goals is not to be sniffed at, questions have been asked of the midfielder’s suitability for the key position at the apex of a five-man midfield.

Summer signing Hatem Ben Arfa would offer greater pace and fluidity on the shoulder of Andy Carroll, but Nolan’s presence has so far restricted the Frenchman to a pair of appearances on the left of midfield.

Similarly, Hughton’s continued reliance on Nolan has ruled out the possibility of pairing Carroll with another centre-forward, but having watched the former Bolton midfielder score 17 Championship goals last season, the Magpies manager is not about to apologise for the faith he continues to show in him.

“Kevin is a big, big player for us,” said Hughton. “He is key to what we do. What he does for us is play in the important role either off the front man or in the midfield, and he will always get into goalscoring positions – that is what makes him important.

“Even in a very tight game against Stoke, he was in that position to get our best opportunity of the second half. I have no worries about a player like Kevin.”

Nolan is likely to retain his place for Sunday’s trip to Manchester City, a game that will come too early for Danny Simpson, Danny Guthrie and Steven Taylor.

Hard to argue against Nolan's undue influence after reading something like that.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/8420810.Hughton_says_he_will_stick_with__key__man_Nolan/

CHRIS Hughton has claimed Kevin Nolan is the “key” to his preferred system at Newcastle United, and hinted he will continue to play the midfielder in an attacking midfield role despite Sunday’s 2-1 defeat to Stoke.

Nolan has started all six of the Magpies’ Premier League matches this season, and while a return of three goals is not to be sniffed at, questions have been asked of the midfielder’s suitability for the key position at the apex of a five-man midfield.

Summer signing Hatem Ben Arfa would offer greater pace and fluidity on the shoulder of Andy Carroll, but Nolan’s presence has so far restricted the Frenchman to a pair of appearances on the left of midfield.

Similarly, Hughton’s continued reliance on Nolan has ruled out the possibility of pairing Carroll with another centre-forward, but having watched the former Bolton midfielder score 17 Championship goals last season, the Magpies manager is not about to apologise for the faith he continues to show in him.

“Kevin is a big, big player for us,” said Hughton. “He is key to what we do. What he does for us is play in the important role either off the front man or in the midfield, and he will always get into goalscoring positions – that is what makes him important.

“Even in a very tight game against Stoke, he was in that position to get our best opportunity of the second half. I have no worries about a player like Kevin.”

Nolan is likely to retain his place for Sunday’s trip to Manchester City, a game that will come too early for Danny Simpson, Danny Guthrie and Steven Taylor.

Hard to argue against Nolan's undue influence after reading something like that.

This is getting sad quite honestly, stubbornness that will be both his and unfortunately our undoing. 

Who can be surprised ? It's clear that Nolan appears to be undroppable by those comments...I wonder why Bolton didn't share Hughton's enthusiasm for the player..?

Can see big trouble brewing over this if Nolan produces any more sub-standard performances - whether they be at home or away....managers live or die by results and Hughton has the right to make the selections . If they prove wrong, he will eventually pay the price.

The worrying thing about those quotes are that they are way too emphatic. Just doesn't sound right. There is protecting/defending a player and then there is making comments that sound like blind praise. These comments are the latter.

And playing in the same position HBA wouldn't? Bizzare given HBA is clearly twice the player Nolan is - if not thrice.