The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I understand the logic - wait until he's proved himself so we don't need to spunk loads if he can't hack it and we are in danger of relegation, but the lack of respect shown to him is staggering. Negotiate it now, give him assurances on funds etc. let him know he's wanted rather than just Fat Mike and Llambias saying "Not until the New Year, sorry Chris. Thanks for making our lives much easier by the way, the next time one of us streaks around the pitch we'll be thinking of you."

I understand the logic - wait until he's proved himself so we don't need to spunk loads if he can't hack it and we are in danger of relegation, but the lack of respect shown to him is staggering. Negotiate it now, give him assurances on funds etc. let him know he's wanted rather than just Fat Mike and Llambias saying "Not until the New Year, sorry Chris. Thanks for making our lives much easier by the way, the next time one of us streaks around the pitch we'll be thinking of you."

I think that's just the way Ashley does business. By all accounts he's ruthless as fuck as doesn't give a shit who he upsets in his pursuit for success. Sadly that attitude doesn't necessarily transfer to professional football.

I don't think Ashley can get too much stick for negotiating with Hughton when it was originally planned. If that was agreed at the start of the contract, then Hughton should (and I'm sure will) grudgingly abide by it.

A couple of months is a long time in football, although I desperately want Hughton to stay, I don't think Ashley has done much wrong over this.

I understand the logic of waiting to see how we do before offering a new contract.  The trouble is that now the media have made an issue of it, it is going to be a distraction until it is sorted and will probably raise it at every interview he does.

At least Ashley is consistent in the appalling way he treats all of his staff whether manager, player, admin staff etc.

Fortunately I don't think it is a distraction to the staff and players they've proven themselves to be above that.

It is however a sadly predictable trait of the gutter press to stir up things NUFC and therefore an annoyance to fans.

I'm sure Hughton will get the deal he deserves when the time comes but I don't see the present regime returning to the days when business was done publically and there won't be any Sam Allardyce or Michael Owen type deals being put on the table.

Right now I think getting the right No2 in is Hughton's priority and that again speaks volumes of the man.

I understand the logic of waiting to see how we do before offering a new contract.  The trouble is that now the media have made an issue of it, it is going to be a distraction until it is sorted and will probably raise it at every interview he does.

At least Ashley is consistent in the appalling way he treats all of his staff whether manager, player, admin staff etc.

??? So you'd be happier if he had one rule for one and one rule for another? How does that foster a long-term culture change at the club?

Under the Shepherd era we were very much a headline-driven operation with 'business decisions' taken in retaliation to the latest Ronny Gill article. Now that we have a chairman who, despite making several poor judgement calls, has laid down the groundwork for a stable and consistent working environment, we're calling it appalling?

???

There is so much dross washing around that site it's scary TBH. I prefer to imagine those places don't exist.

I think the decision delaying the contract renewal till New Year is fair.  There're lots of doubters here 2 months ago as well, and a number of people wouldn't mind replacing Hughton if a "better" manager is available. 

Fucking ridiculous how they're pushing this story. And I still don't believe this 'the club want to wait till January to be sure he's the right man'. They offered him a contract at the start of the season did they not?

They set a date a while back to review his contract. Just because they won't pander to the media like Shepherd would have done, and are going to stick with that date, that means they're leaving him hanging?

In my opinion Hughton clearly doesn't have a problem with this, and it doesn't look like the team does. Can't believe this bollocks non-story has got so much of an airing based on absolute shite drummed up by rags I wouldn't wipe my ass with.

/Rant over.

Fucking ridiculous how they're pushing this story. And I still don't believe this 'the club want to wait till January to be sure he's the right man'. They offered him a contract at the start of the season did they not?

They set a date a while back to review his contract. Just because they won't pander to the media like Shepherd would have done, and are going to stick with that date, that means they're leaving him hanging?

In my opinion Hughton clearly doesn't have a problem with this, and it doesn't look like the team does. Can't believe this bollocks non-story has got so much of an airing based on absolute shite drummed up by rags I wouldn't wipe my ass with.

/Rant over.

Basically the crux of the whole thing.

It's insane that anyone is giving this any time... thankfully we beat Sunderland so it should die down for a bit.