The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone else spot that glaring contradictio? Hopeless journalism.

Well his judgement of players is way off - to say Nolan and Simpson are safe bets next season while Routledge, Guthrie and Loven are doubts just shows he never watches our games.

I would be totally against ousting Hughton for Hughes at this point as well.

Supporters will point to the outstanding campaign enjoyed by many of those players, but it's one thing leading the journeymen of Barnsley or Blackpool a merry dance, it's another replicating that at Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge.

How many players do "replicate that at Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge" though? Realistically, I'm not sure that's where we'll be picking up the points to try and ensure our survival.

Supporters will point to the outstanding campaign enjoyed by many of those players, but it's one thing leading the journeymen of Barnsley or Blackpool a merry dance, it's another replicating that at Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge.

How many players do "replicate that at Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge" though?  Realistically, I'm not sure that's where we'll be picking up the points to try and ensure our survival.

Didn't get beat at either last season, its not those games we have a problem with its the dogshit sides like Hull, Bolton, B'burn, Wigan etc we fuck up at .

This idea of replacing Hughton at this point is a kind of Lib Dem type idea. It could only be advocated by people who would never actually have to put it into practice and take responsibility for all the consequences.

This idea of replacing Hughton at this point is a kind of Lib Dem type idea. It could only be advocated by people who would never actually have to put it into practice and take responsibility for all the consequences.

Well we could invest loads of money in shite (Labour)

or

Sell a couple of players and invest in nothing (Tories)

Guest thenorthumbrian

I believe that Chris Hughton has helped make us United again, he has behaved immpecably and with a dignity that Ashley and Llambias could learn from.

The Newcastle United fans have been brought together in support of the team in a way that was thought unlikely by many of us at the start of the season.

This is because as well as his dignified behaviour he has simply done a very good job as manager, if Keegan or Shearer had been manager this season they would have been getting more plaudits due to their huge and positive part in this clubs history.

Hughton has earned place of real respect in the history of this club.

God knows what would have been the consequences of another season of struggle for the long term health for United.

Hughton and the players deserve credit for saving us from a fate that happened to the likes of Leeds.

What's the advantage of Hughes over Hughton other than being a "bigger" name?

He's tried and tested, and has proven to be a decent manager in the Premier League. Not that i'd replace Hughton - cos i think he'll do well, but the advantages at this point are pretty obvious.

Everybody scared to replace CH all of a sudden. ha ha

What's scared got to do with it, it would be a stupid decision. If you were chairman, you would not do it.

If Mark Hughes rang me and I was chairman CH would be back to 1st team coach in a flash. Yes he would. I said Yes!!  :lol:

If Hughton had done at any other club what he did for us, he would be being touted as the next rising star and promising young manager. We would have posts saying that we should go for him, but others knocking them back saying that he wouldn't come here and was waiting for the Spurs role to come open when Saggy Face retires/gets jailed.

But because he is our manager, and because we are Newcastle, then anyone could have got Newcastle promoted with this squad, and he is not cut out for the job.  Bollocks.

My only concern is the "Should be given a chance" thought, as it sounds like he won;t get the same time in the PL that Hughes or Hitzfeld would get and they are looking to sack him if he looses away at Old Trafford. 

If Hughton had done at any other club what he did for us, he would be being touted as the next rising star and promising young manager. We would have posts saying that we should go for him, but others knocking them back saying that he wouldn't come here and was waiting for the Spurs role to come open when Saggy Face retires/gets jailed.

But because he is our manager, and because we are Newcastle, then anyone could have got Newcastle promoted with this squad, and he is not cut out for the job.  Bollocks.

My only concern is the "Should be given a chance" thought, as it sounds like he won;t get the same time in the PL that Hughes or Hitzfeld would get and they are looking to sack him if he looses away at Old Trafford. 

I think he's done a remarkable job in the CCC, but my personal belief is that he isn't good enough for the PL. Should he get a chance in the Pl? Well, he will and his success will depend on so many things inc luck, it is hard to say with any certainty what is going to happen. But, if it looks like going bad, the quicker he is replaced the better. IMO he should be replaced in the summer if a better manager wants to come and manage us and I'd inc Mark Hughes in that bracket.

I have that same feeling too....but both Fergie and Wenger had bad/slow starts but were given time. I worry that there will be too many trigger-fingers itching to dump CH at first sign....and then the circus continues.

Oh, to have foresight that matches hind-sight.

I think he's done a remarkable job in the CCC, but my personal belief is that he isn't good enough for the PL. Should he get a chance in the Pl? Well, he will and his success will depend on so many things inc luck, it is hard to say with any certainty what is going to happen. But, if it looks like going bad, the quicker he is replaced the better. IMO he should be replaced in the summer if a better manager wants to come and manage us and I'd inc Mark Hughes in that bracket.

Fully back up what Parky has said as I don't think CH is up to the job.

Not sure where the idea Hughton would be talked up as the next best thing would come from, has he done anything differently from managers like Mick McArthy, Billy Davies and Tony Pullis? I personally think that with the players we have in this league, anything less than promotion would have been very poor.

Hope I'm wrong but I think a lot of people on here are getting carried away with how the team and managers ave performed this year in what is a poor league.

I don't get how people can say they don't think Hughton is good enough for the Premiership.

I'd like to know exactly what it is about him that people don't think is good enough.

We have absolutely blitzed the Championship with a record number of clean sheets and an unbeaten home record. We have 3 of the highest scorers in the league, his signings have been good, he has maintained total composure throughout the season and when we hit a rut he pulled us out of it.

IMO he has shown all the characteristics and skills of a manager who can make the grade.

My reasons for not wanting CH are:

1) I believe any good/top manager needs a certain amount of arrogance/self-confidence about them. The very fact the CH has been messed around so much by the club shows that he hasn't got that, for CH to see Kinnear appointed ahead of him last season and then stay at the club doesn't say much about CH. Can you think of any other manager or coach with aspirations to become a manager accepting that? Maybe CH didn’t want to be the manager at the time, so I would then think does he really have the hunger to be a manager? Why has it taken him until he is around 50 to suddenly think he’ll make a good manager? If that is the case I would have to question his desire/hunger.

2) I wouldn’t judge any manager off one season in the Championship, not for a club the size of Newcastle. If we are going to get a manager from the lower leagues, then I’d want to see how they do over a period of time, a minimum of two seasons to see how they set their teams up to play, dealings in the transfer market both in and out. One season in the premiership is not enough.

3) How would CH appeal to players? He has neither a track record as a manager or player, I’m not sure how he will attract players.

4)Unknowns: This is the main reason for me not appointing Hughton as there are so many unknowns about him. No one really has a clue how well he will do, a lot of fans think he deserves it but are not sure about how he will do when we go up. It is not good to have this lack of confidence around the club, it just reminds me so much of Souness and Roeder where deep down I believe most people knew they would never work out but gave them the benefit of the doubt for the sake of “stability”.