The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest toonlass

What a guy - the lack of ego on him is so refreshing.

absolutely. He is a refreshing change in the world of mercenary footballers.

This seasons improved players as in Kadar, Carroll, Guthrie, Colo. Jose & Shola... is that down to us being in a lower league OR is it down to Hughton?

Probably a bit of both but more to do with who we were playing.

When you look back at the state we were in early last summer and where we are now you have to give it Hughton - and some of the players for stepping up

We' even managed to escape the usual "TOON IN MELTDOWN" headlines when Carroll ran off the rails

Peace & quiet at SJP - for the first time in my 50 years of support - its MAGIC!!!

Peace and Quiet at SJP for the first time in 50 years? Keegan's first stint as manager was harmonious and I'd also take any year from 1992 to 2004 over this year, I quite liked playing in the top league and European football!

Far too many people are getting carried away with this season, it was a very poor league! Time to judge the club is next year!

He also managed to buy the right players mostly to make sure we went up. Routlege and Williamson have proven to be astute signings in this league. I hope they can step it up because routledge has the ability if he can apply it more in the premier league

Peace and Quiet at SJP for the first time in 50 years? Keegan's first stint as manager was harmonious and I'd also take any year from 1992 to 2004 over this year, I quite liked playing in the top league and European football!

Far too many people are getting carried away with this season, it was a very poor league! Time to judge the club is next year!

Totally agree .

This seasons improved players as in Kadar, Carroll, Guthrie, Colo. Jose & Shola... is that down to us being in a lower league OR is it down to Hughton?

Both, but most of them are young and still learning, and Colo has had more time to adapt to the English game. As for Shola, he's now a senior player with no Shearer, Owen, Martins or Viduka ahead of him, which might have given him a bit more confidence. Hughton has no doubt done wonders for the overall team spirit, though.

Hughton's dealing with Butt this year has been absolutely impeccable. I hope he gets us a few bob for Smith and maybe even Nolan.

This. My fears at the start of the season were that Butt would play almost every game like he did under Keegan, Kinnear and Shearer. Hughton has been the first manager to drop Butt despite him being fully fit (and this season even captain) since Big Sam.

Big credit for Hughton on his handling in this situations.

Hughton's dealing with Butt this year has been absolutely impeccable. I hope he gets us a few bob for Smith and maybe even Nolan.

This. My fears at the start of the season were that Butt would play almost every game like he did under Keegan, Kinnear and Shearer. Hughton has been the first manager to drop Butt despite him being fully fit (and this season even captain) since Big Sam.

I think he was also the first one with the guts to drop Owen.

Shearer then re-instated him for four games before dropping him again.

Yeah right. Hughton dropped Owen for that Arsenal game. Oba missed the penalty there which Owen would have (probably) scored.

Yeah right. Hughton dropped Owen for that Arsenal game. Oba missed the penalty there which Owen would have (probably) scored.

Owen with his well known penalty prowess  :laugh: :razz:

Owen with his well known penalty prowess   :laugh: :razz:

If he had been on the pitch, would he even have taken it?

He wouldn't have stepped up for it.

Penalties should automatically go to Shola, he should be on the pitch at all times just in case there is a penalty. He is out Rory Delap.

Owen has taken every penalty (when he was on the pitch) for us at least since being captain. And for the record - he hasn't missed one of them.

He isn't a very good penalty taker though. Was rightly stripped of them when at Liverpool and there was no indication his technique had improved when taking them for us.

Have more faith in Shola from the spot.

Owen has taken every penalty (when he was on the pitch) for us at least since being captain. And for the record - he hasn't missed one of them.

A few of them were touch and go like :lol:

The bigger picture is that you don't pick any player just so they can take penalties, and we were a better side without Owen than with him. It was difficult to drop him because of his reputation and standing in the game, and Hughton was the first one with the nerve to do it.

Tbh I don't think Allardyce rated Owen and if he'd been dealing with Joe Bloggs he wouldn't have picked him. The failure to grasp that particular nettle ended up costing him dear.