The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

have I missed something here, has he  been given a new contract as my understanding was that he is manager until the end of the season,having said that believe the hierarchy never  said which season.

Contract runs out next January

Rod Liddle of the Sunday Times is usually a tosser, but he's got this one from today right:

"But its below the Premier League where the real miracles occur; I reckon the manager of the season across all four divisions is Chris Hughton at Newcastle United; yes, he had more resources than most [especially in the January transfer window] but he also had the Geordies on his back and a club in freefall staffed with fractious and deluded players. You just hope they remember this when the Magpies are lying 15th in the Premier League come October and there are calls to replace him with Magic Johnson or Barack Obama or Malcolm Macdonald. "

Those three suggestions are clearly in order of preference.

Not that i've really kept tabs on all 92+ managers this season bar ours; i'd say there's another manager out there who's had it harder than Hughton this season - thus deserving such an accolade. That's not taking anything away from Hughton btw who, without doubt, has done a cracking job.

Eddie Howe has done fantastic at Bournemouth

Spot on. The lad is walking on water down there and he's only 32.

Had only 19 professional players to work with over the past 18months. Saved them from a minus tally relegation position last season (by playing their way to victory too), then got them promoted this season (by playing their way to victory again).

Well done to that group of lads :thup:

Not that i've really kept tabs on all 92+ managers this season bar ours; i'd say there's another manager out there who's had it harder than Hughton this season - thus deserving such an accolade. That's not taking anything away from Hughton btw who, without doubt, has done a cracking job.

Eddie Howe has done fantastic at Bournemouth

Spot on. The lad is walking on water down there and he's only 32.

Had only 19 professional players to work with over the past 18months. Saved them from a minus tally relegation position last season (by playing their way to victory too), then got them promoted this season (by playing their way to victory again).

Well done to that group of lads :thup:

AFCB play some good stuff like, Eddie Howe following on from Sean O'Driscoll who did a brilliant job at Dean Court playing similar football.

Ferguson wasn't strong enough to get the Glazer's to re-invest the Ronaldo money, I don't know what you expect Hughton to do.

He managed to persuade them that Leon Best would fire us to promotion in January, I think you're underestimating his powers of persuasion.

He managed to persuade them that Leon Best would fire us to promotion in January, I think you're underestimating his powers of persuasion.

Good point.  :lol:

To those who constantly roll out the "spineless' "puppet" etc... jibes at hughton, what exactly do you expect him to do? what will it actually achieve?

We had a top class manager who you could say stood up to Ashley, did that improve things or just make them a whole lot worse?

Some seem very happy to give him stick but I haven't seen any suggestions as to what he should be doing and how it would actually improve our situation under Ashley.

I also see no problems at all with this players committee that is often used as a reason to bash him. Morale and confidence at the start of the season was in tatters so the manager makes a decision that he thinks will improve it and it seems pretty obvious it was bloody successful (baring one incident where one of the younger players with a history of aggression problems hit a team mate, even that was handled bloody well).

So yeah, what can he do differently that will actually change how we are run?

It's been a while since a proper Hughton rant :D

Guest icemanblue

Cajun, I don't think many are having digs at Hughton for this. Save your rants for when we lose on the first day of the season.

There have been for weeks, the old puppet, weak etc...

It's just a shame that even compliments will be back handed with the odd dig came in. He is lucky to be managing a club our size but so far he has done a good job and to be honest we are lucky to have him as I can't imagine the queue of quality managers is any longer than a mouses cock.