The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The views of some of our fans really f***ing embarassing me sometimes :facepalm:

I agree, your views about football are cringeworthy.

I apologise. I was of the belief that results decided where you got in football, not the style in which you play. Didn't realise FIFA had changed the rules.

"I don't understand why people take the piss out of Newcastle fans and claim we're unrealistic and have our heads in the cloud....anyway, what's with this unattractive football to win football matches? I don't want that! I want to win in style! I'd rather lose 4-3 then win 1-0...."

Can't really blame Hughton for doing everything he can to stop the opposition playing. We were never going to come into the league and start knocking it about and playing possession football because we're blatantly not good enough to do it.

Next season is going to be small ball. Set-pieces, direct football, corners and percentage football. Keep the games tight and win 8 or 9 of them at home and we should be safe. It's not going to be pretty but we have to stay up and if shortening the pitch is going to do that then it's fair enough imo.

But Cronky, Ashleys lack of ambition for the club means that it will be no better the season after or the season after that - I don't want to watch shit, survival, Alladyce type football for the next 5 years.

Would rather  see us try and play football, as Keegan no doubt would have done, and then see what happens. Put it like this I would be a WBA than a Blackburn 

I'm not so pessimistic about the longer term future. We've got some good young players coming through, and the new rules about spending in excess of income will level the playing field when they kick in.

How we play this season depends on who comes in. At the moment, we'll have no choice but to defend and try and nick goals from set pieces. We need more pace and energy in the midfield. I don't know Gosling, but Cleverley would be a good signing.

Guest firetotheworks

Whatever happens he walks away from this club with my utmost respect because of last season, but at the same time we shouldn't let that cloud our judgement. I have my doubts, but I'm fully behind him. I know I'll piss and moan, but if he can keep us up then I'll be delighted, and give him the plaudits I would anyone.

The views of some of our fans really fucking embarassing me sometimes :facepalm:

Hughton has done one or two decent things, but on the whole I maintain we are top in spite of him rather than because of him.

Newcastle United 2-0 Middlesbrough, 10 points clear at the top:

On the whole, that was woeful.

One day soon a performance like that will come back to bite us.

If we win, we aren't allowed to make any negative comments. We're 10 points clear, we have to act like we're the best team ever apparently.

There are many many more examples.

Of course, I'm sure this coming season you and everyone else who are now saying they will be happy to finish 17th will be full of praise for the players and manager throughout the season when faced with the reality of what that means (constantly at the bottom of the table, long runs without a win, poor performances, the odd scrappy win, etc, etc) and not in fact calling for his head within 2 months. We'll see.

The views of some of our fans really f***ing embarassing me sometimes :facepalm:

Hughton has done one or two decent things, but on the whole I maintain we are top in spite of him rather than because of him.

Newcastle United 2-0 Middlesbrough, 10 points clear at the top:

On the whole, that was woeful.

One day soon a performance like that will come back to bite us.

If we win, we aren't allowed to make any negative comments. We're 10 points clear, we have to act like we're the best team ever apparently.

There are many many more examples.

Of course, I'm sure this coming season you and everyone else who are now saying they will be happy to finish 17th will be full of praise for the players and manager throughout the season when faced with the reality of what that means (constantly at the bottom of the table, long runs without a win, poor performances, the odd scrappy win, etc, etc) and not in fact calling for his head within 2 months. We'll see.

I was wondering when someone was going to do this :lol:

The difference was, we should have been pissing all over the Championship - the standard of the PL is very very different and so my expectations aren't as high. The quality of the performace mattered to me then because the difference in the quality of player suggested we should have been winning 4-0 every week.

I've said time and time again that staying up is all that matters.

and FYI

Tbh I've been totally won over. Regardless of the players we have, the poor away performances, the at times negative football, you cannot deny he has done a magnificent job this season. I know I've said this already but he has a distinct lack of arrogance and stubborness with regards to his managerial decisions. How many past NUFC managers would have insisted on playing Butt, refused to drop Best etc.

Not only that, but he has conducted himself admirably throughout the season. No bulshitting, no lieing, whingeing or moaning. He's just got on with the job. Not only that but his signings have been good as well, he regonised we needed a right winger so he got one, and he's done a great job thus far. Signings like Hall, Zurab and Van Aanholt have done well too when debutised. You could complain about Best however he cant get everything right. When you add this to the team ethic, spirit and togeatherness that he has managed to install, thats something else to his credit.

Of course he's not perfect, if he was, he wouldnt be here, I was raging with him on the way back from Barnsley, he cost us 2 points against Leicester, we havn't played excellent fdootball this season but regardless, when you consider how many were predicting us to fail again this season after that game at Leyton Orient, for me he's done an absolute stirling job as manager of Newcastle United.

:thup: Agree with every word

Oh f*** it, I'm converted and ready to join the party. Hughton is a legend :celb:

You can't just pick the comments where I criticised Hughton. That's not how it works.

Good to know that some supporters are going to be on the manager's back from the minute the season kicks off.

I can't believe the width of the pitch is now being used as a stick to beat him with. Has it ever been an issue before? I genuinely can't remember us huffing and puffing about it until now  :lol:

It's the type of stuff that makes you wonder whether there's a more sinister reason for the dislike.

Good to know that some supporters are going to be on the manager's back from the minute the season kicks off.

I can't believe the width of the pitch is now being used as a stick to beat him with. Has it ever been an issue before? I genuinely can't remember us huffing and puffing about it until now  :lol:

It's the type of stuff that makes you wonder whether there's a more sinister reason for the dislike.

It's obviously agenda-posting in some cases.

Stories in the paper such as "Hughton alters pitch size for PL return" suggests to me that he's really thinking about improving the odds of our survival bid from every single angle possible. How anyone can say it is a bad thing is beyond me.

Stories in the paper such as "Hughton alters pitch size for PL return" suggests to me that he's really thinking about improving the odds of our survival bid from every single angle possible. How anyone can say it is a bad thing is beyond me.

He can only work with what he's got.

It seems that Hughton is working on every detail. Just like Mourinho does.  :smitten:

Exactly. He's looking at our squad and he's realised that next season, we aren't going to rattle in four and five at home - games are likely going to be won by the odd goal and rely upon us keeping a clean sheet or only conceding one, and he's adjusted the pitch size accordingly.

Those who are having a go at Hughton for setting up for negative football at home fail to realise that if we play pretty stuff and attack attack attack against quick counter-attacking sides like Man United, Chelsea, Villa and Man City, we'll be heading back down for another season in the fizzy pop league.

Perhaps against the dross teams at the bottom we can think about playing slightly more expansive football. As much as the points we get against the sides around us will matter, it's pleasing to see that Hughton wants to try and grind out some results against those in the top half.

At least, that's the way I see it.

Exactly. He's looking at our squad and he's realised that next season, we aren't going to rattle in four and five at home - games are likely going to be won by the odd goal and rely upon us keeping a clean sheet or only conceding one, and he's adjusted the pitch size accordingly.

Those who are having a go at Hughton for setting up for negative football at home fail to realise that if we play pretty stuff and attack attack attack against quick counter-attacking sides like Man United, Chelsea, Villa and Man City, we'll be heading back down for another season in the fizzy pop league.

Perhaps against the dross teams at the bottom we can think about playing slightly more expansive football. As much as the points we get against the sides around us will matter, it's pleasing to see that Hughton wants to try and grind out some results against those in the top half.

:thup:

Still I don't really get it what it is about the pitch size. Does it really make such a difference with a few metres more or less on the sides?

I think it does have a difference, a big part of football, imo, is about space, less space means teams with good movement will have less time on the ball because there wont be as much space to run in to. However i don't know how much of an impact this will have on us but surely every little advantage we can get we should take.

:thup:

Guest Brummiemag

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/879998/TOON-BOSS-HUGHTON-PITCHES-IN.html

CHRIS HUGHTON has ordered groundsmen to restrict the size of Newcastle's pitch for fear of the Premier League's wide boys.

Newcastle conceded just 13 league goals on their own turf last season, sharing with Nottingham Forest the best home defensive record in the Championship.

But Hughton fears his back line may struggle with the step up in class. He will reduce the 75-yard width of the St James's Park pitch by at least four yards to crowd out visiting forwards.

Highly rated Toon striker Andy Carroll, 21, is close to securing his long-term future with the club.

And back-up keeper Tim Krul, 22, is set to commit to the club for a further four years.

The Dutchman has already been earmarked as a future star even though he has made just three league appearances for the Magpies.

This man is a freakin' genius!

If this is true, and thats a big if....

Wont narrowing the width of the pitch also limit the space Jonas and Routledge have to work in? Leaving us with the creative skills and dynamic running of Smith/Nolan/Barton/Guthrie to unlock opposition defences.

Narrowing the pitch isnt a new tactic, its been employed by negative managers who dont care if supporters end up paying good money to see crap football matches for years.

Agree 100%