The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My main worry for this upcoming season is we are heading to the season with one promising goal scorer (Carroll) Three useless wannabe strikers ( Amobie, Xisco, and Best) and One more past the date striker in (Loven). It is too much of a quantity than a quality.

My main worry for this upcoming season is we are heading to the season with one promising goal scorer (Carroll) Three useless wannabe strikers ( Amobie, Xisco, and Best) and One more past the date striker in (Loven). It is too much of a quantity than a quality.

I'm sure that Carroll will be first choice, because of his power in the air, which will get us a few goals against any defence.

The problem with Carroll though is his pace and movement - inevitably with a player that size. He needs a more mobile player around him, and at the moment we've only got Lovenkrands, who has his limitations. Nolan did well in the Championship, but he won't be quick enough to cause problems in the Premiership.

If Hughton could sort that problem, it would considerably improve our chances of getting wins.

Carroll is the best of what we got in that department but i am sure he wont be a starting 11 in majority of the PL clubs. I would have been happy if we offload Amobie or Xisco and buy one decent striker no matter what we need a at least one good striker and we don't have any and it is a big worry.

Top 8, give over man.

No. Under KK we would have been better than Fulham, who finished 7th. Better than Spurs who had a s*** start to that season under Ramos.

All this stuff about KK is pointless because we will never know what would have happened if he had stayed. As it happens, I DO think the side would have done better - BUT - KK was NEVER going to stay if the club sold players without his full permission, OR told him tales about prospective signings that never materialised or, if they did, that he didn't want, so the debate is pointless. KK left because he felt that he couldn't do his job properly under the existing management set-up and if they had been more reasonable there is every chance that we would have had some different players to those we ended up with - like Xisco...! Also.players like Owen etc felt that there was no point after Keegan went, so morale dropped .

The whole debate is hypothetical and we won't know how this side are going to perform until we see if any new faces come in or until after the first 2 months of the season.

Can't believe he thinks we are ok with our group of strikers. I know he doesn't have much cash or whatever,  but at least he could put more pressure on MA and try and angle a better striker if nothing else. It will be crucial to have someone with pace and power to break out of the long spells we'll be under pressure with little posession.

Can't believe he thinks we are ok with our group of strikers. I know he doesn't have much cash or whatever,  but at least he could put more pressure on MA and try and angle a better striker if nothing else. It will be crucial to have someone with pace and power to break out of the long spells we'll be under pressure with little posession.

How do you think he should put more pressure on Ashley?

Read an absolutely unbelievable comment about Hughton today.

Apparently he's done a good job because the club have been linked with trying to replace him every week for the last year.

Source: Jamie Redknapp.

Apparently he's done a good job because the club have been linked with trying to replace him every week for the last year.

please tell me thats a joke

please tell me thats a joke

Its not word for word, but its not a joke. It was in FourFourTwo

How do you think he should put more pressure on Ashley?

It starts with buying  gun in the Dog and Duck.

It would be pointless this close to the start of the season to say our strikers aren't good enough. How do you know he isn't pressuring behind the scenes? In my opinion he is keeping the squad close-knit and fighting for one another, as well as for himself. If Ashley doesn't back him, the fans will turn to Fat Mike not Hughton. As far as I'm concerned, keeping a squad of passionate, loyal players is what will keep us up, and Hughton - if he did say the above (about being ok) said totally the right thing.

Only time will tell - but I think one thing which will be key (in addition to a squad if players who fight for the shirt) is having an intimidating atmosphere, a fortress of a home ground and 52,000 people backing the team AND the manager.

Hughton - to date, has done nothing for us not to believe in him, in my opinion.

I can't believe people still take every word a manager says in the press about a player/players as gospel :lol:

I would like to know why you are called Cajun. Please do enlighten me with such a potentially moving story.

I can't believe people still take every word a manager says in the press about a player/players as gospel :lol:

I would like to know why you are called Cajun. Please do enlighten me with such a potentially moving story.

Not really sure tbh.

True story.

Not really sure tbh.

True story.

You stun me with your lack of creativity. You are the Nicky Butt of forum banter.

Not really sure tbh.

True story.

You stun me with your lack of creativity. You are the Nicky Butt of forum banter.

Random overhead kick in the middle of the park? Class.

Not really sure tbh.

True story.

I was thinking more Ginger has-been, with poor link up play.

Not really sure tbh.

True story.

I was thinking more Ginger has-been, with poor link up play.

:laugh:

Hughton interview from co.uk

Hughton: Depor Win Was Great

Chris Hughton described United's penalty victory over Deportivo La Coruna as "great for us" after watching his side win the Teresa Herrera trophy on Tuesday night.

The Newcastle manager was pleased with the performance of his side in the 0-0 draw during normal time, and was even happier to see it capped with the shoot-out success.

"It was a very good workout for us," said Hughton. "Defensively as a unit we worked really well. Even though they had a good retention and good possession, we had the better chances and we got stronger in the second half.

"We deserved the clean sheet. If I look at Stevie Harper he didn't have any big saves to make and nor did Tim (Krul).

"They threatened a fair amount but I think we had the better chances in the second half."

The best chance of all fell to Joey Barton, who had the chance to win the game with an 86th minute penalty. It was saved by Depor keeper Manu but Barton showed the character to step up again to score the deciding kick in the shoot-out.

And Hughton, speaking to The Chronicle in Spain, said: "It came good for Joey in the end.

"You want players to step up to the mark and he was first to grab the ball. It wasn't the best of penalties but I thought the performance was very good.

"We've come to a big team in La Liga and got a result.

"Depor are a big team and are expected to do well next season. To get a 0-0 draw against them in their own stadium is great for us."