The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Spot on, my expectations are also fairly low. I don't think he will suddenly become a great manager but he is probably the best we can get.

The Chris hughton mystic megs on here are getting tedious now, he will never do this, he will always do that. Then when he does the thing he would never do it's only because only a fucking idiot wouldn't do it :lol:

But yeah hughton did piss me off when he refused to drop Nolan for erm, that other player who was available and would have contributed more last season, the name of said player has escaped me though.

You little rascal hughton!

Smith started 33 games last season. Around 33 too many tbh.

I'd be interested to see the percentage before and after January. Once Guthrie had a chance in the middle and he did the job Hughton kept him there, despite the fact Smith is part of this dressing room clique that apparently runs the gaff. Out of all the negative things you can throw at Hughton indulging in a spot of favouritism isn't really one of them.

Spot on, my expectations are also fairly low. I don't think he will suddenly become a great manager but he is probably the best we can get.

The Chris hughton mystic megs on here are getting tedious now, he will never do this, he will always do that. Then when he does the thing he would never do it's only because only a fucking idiot wouldn't do it :lol:

But yeah hughton did piss me off when he refused to drop Nolan for erm, that other player who was available and would have contributed more last season, the name of said player has escaped me though.

You little rascal hughton!

The thing is as suspect as Nolan's all round game is he scored so many important goals last season there was no justification for dropping him, especially when there wasn't a ready made replacement.

Guest malandro

I must have read "he will never drop Nolan" about 6 times in the last 20 minutes.

To those saying that, can you tell me who the other 2 central midfielders we had available last season are? The ones who would have contributed more than Nolan did? I can't think of two tbh. It was probably 12 months ago when he would "never drop Smith" and 18 months since he would "never drop Butt".

If he doesn't have better options what does he do?

If we can't get rid of Smith then yes at some point he probably will HAVE to play him. Every team will have players the fans would rather not see but will get the odd game (Hilario, silvestre etc.)

I'm pretty sure a lot of people on here didn't actually watch us last season and just took a wild guess at what they thought Hughton would do. The constant references to Smith being one of his blue chip brigade is completely bizarre given the way he dropped him when it was clear we were better off with Guthrie last season.

There's no point in trying to second guess Hughton. We all expect him to be spineless and inept yet so far he's been savvy on the touchline and in the transfer market. My expectations remain low but I would never write him off until he starts picking on personality rather than form and signing s**** we don't really need.

Smudger lost his place in the team through a combination of injury and suspension did he not? He wasn’t so much dropped as not immediately reinstated when he was available for selection again?

I must have read "he will never drop Nolan" about 6 times in the last 20 minutes.

To those saying that, can you tell me who the other 2 central midfielders we had available last season are? The ones who would have contributed more than Nolan did? I can't think of two tbh. It was probably 12 months ago when he would "never drop Smith" and 18 months since he would "never drop Butt".

If we can't get rid of Smith then yes at some point he probably will HAVE to play him. Every team will have players the fans would rather not see but will get the odd game (Hilario, silvestre etc.)

I'm pretty sure a lot of people on here didn't actually watch us last season and just took a wild guess at what they thought Hughton would do. The constant references to Smith being one of his blue chip brigade is completely bizarre given the way he dropped him when it was clear we were better off with Guthrie last season.

There's no point in trying to second guess Hughton. We all expect him to be spineless and inept yet so far he's been savvy on the touchline and in the transfer market. My expectations remain low but I would never write him off until he starts picking on personality rather than form and signing s**** we don't really need.

Smudger lost his place in the team through a combination of injury and suspension did he not? He wasn’t so much dropped as not immediately reinstated when he was available for selection again?

He did, but our options were extremely limited. Butt was the only other centre mid we had available because Guthrie spent a lot of time on the right. When Routledge arrived and Smudger got injured Guthrie got his chance in the middle and stayed there.

I love Hughton btw, I think he's done almost everything spot on so far. (Except sign Best).

He was always signed as back-up. If Carroll and Lovenkrands had both got injured, we would have needed Best to score goals ...

Guest malandro

He did, but our options were extremely limited. Butt was the only other centre mid we had available because Guthrie spent a lot of time on the right. When Routledge arrived and Smudger got injured Guthrie got his chance in the middle and stayed there.

At which point we started to play good football and winning games comfortably, instead being ultra cautious and nicking games by the odd goal. What would have happened if Smith hadn’t got injured is unknown, as does the extent of Hughton’s ruthless streak.

Some might not like this conclusion but there are many aspects to being a good manager and Hughton is yet to prove himself in many of them.

I love Hughton btw, I think he's done almost everything spot on so far. (Except sign Best).

He was always signed as back-up. If Carroll and Lovenkrands had both got injured, we would have needed Best to score goals ...

Third choice in more ways than one. Only arrived when Beckford and Moses didn't sign up.

Moses would have been a brilliant signing in hindsight imo. I forget he's only 19.

Hughton has grown on me somewhat, and I think he's done his job very well. But his substitutions against Rangers were truly awful. They made no sense and even if Carroll and Jose were injured, we lost all shape which very quickly cost us the game.

He took off Jonas and Enrique and replaced with a CM and a RB. The space being left on that left side was terrible.

Mind you, I've been quietly content with this transfer window. We're still short of a decent squad, but Campbell, Gosling, Perch and Ben Arfa (if it happens) is alot better than I originally expected when that 'club statement' came out.

I don't think you can read too much into pre-season substitutions, it's all about making sure everyone is fit so formations etc are likely to be a bit strange. It's also a decent time to experiment so things that blatantly won't work but he was considering can be tested in a safe environment.

Anyone remember wanting rid of Hughton because he was part of the 'cockney mafia'? I know a lot of us were not overly impressed with him becoming manager at the time, me included, but always got the impression it was just down to the fact we didn't think he was good enough. Sunderland fans on RTG seem to think it was because of the 'cockney mafia' idea mentioned.

Mind you, I've been quietly content with this transfer window. We're still short of a decent squad, but Campbell, Gosling, Perch and Ben Arfa (if it happens) is alot better than I originally expected when that 'club statement' came out.

WTF was that statement all about anyways? What a waste of everyone's fucking time.

WTF was that statement all about anyways? What a waste of everyone's f***ing time.

Was aimed at other clubs and the media more than anything else, playing games and making sure we weren't held for ransom like in the past.

As far as the better good goes, whom ever does the statements has never had a problem with leaving the fans as collateral damage.

It's far from ideal as you can tell, but maybe its working?

Anyone remember wanting rid of Hughton because he was part of the 'cockney mafia'? I know a lot of us were not overly impressed with him becoming manager at the time, me included, but always got the impression it was just down to the fact we didn't think he was good enough. Sunderland fans on RTG seem to think it was because of the 'cockney mafia' idea mentioned.

Personally no, was very supportive of his appointment, but I do remember being disgusted by the constant digs at him being no more than a 'puppet' of the 'cockney mafia'; I've got a feeling there was even a true faith front page cartoon saying exactly that. 

The statement served it's purpose, to curb expectations.

Guess so. Not sure anyone had any anyways though. Still would question the timing and intent. But he appears to be aiming for a positive investment this summer so we'll see.  Then again he did the same summer we sold Milner so who knows?