The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Some people on here obviously look at Hughton and see a likeable, lucky coach who bares little responsibility for our success and is inevitably going to be found out.  Fair enough.  Maybe the wheels will come off and we can get back to the exciting intrigue of sacking managers. 

But if we get to Christmas and the club are doing OK in the league - mid table, let's say - then this contract situation with Hughton could start to become worrying.  Because while you might see a bumbling novice who has stumbled into a big job, there are going to be a few chairmen of clubs in the Championship who see an out of contract, relatively inexpensive manager who has taken one of the most high pressure jobs in the country and exceeded expectations. 

Some people on here obviously look at Hughton and see a likeable, lucky coach who bares little responsibility for our success and is inevitably going to be found out.  Fair enough.  Maybe the wheels will come off and we can get back to the exciting intrigue of sacking managers. 

But if we get to Christmas and the club are doing OK in the league - mid table, let's say - then this contract situation with Hughton could start to become worrying.  Because while you might see a bumbling novice who has stumbled into a big job, there are going to be a few chairmen of clubs in the Championship who see an out of contract, relatively inexpensive manager who has taken one of the most high pressure jobs in the country and exceeded expectations. 

1000 x  :thup:

If he keeps us up how would people feel about extending his contract?

Absolutely no reason not to give him a new contract then. I'd consider sticking with him even if we go down tbh, at least he's a likeable chap and has done well in the transfer market and I can't see Mike and Derek getting anyone better in.

Not with the squad we have now, no.

I probably should have added that I really don't think we'll go down.

Can you see anyone wanting to come in should we go down? As long as Mike is still here, I can't, which why I would stick with Hughton.

No I can't. Probably Kinnear, though.

But I agree, we won't go down anyway, I've said that all along btw.

It's the first time we have had a manager who says the right things, notices what's missing in the team, plays the team he should play and has formed a cracking team spirit. He needs to be signed for two years on a decent wage, that being within the new austere budget, but not ridiculuously low....

Get what you pay for...We've been crying out for some stability for years!

He'll get a 12 month rolling. And that's what we should be doing IMO.

If Hughton signs a rolling contract then he must have the agent from Extras. 

I know what you mean, but we're living in a new world now... no big wages and no long contracts.

I wouldn't be against giving him a longer deal if he does well this season, but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes on another year deal.

Guest Roger Kint

Realistically we should be looking at 12 month rolling deals anyway after the amount of sackings we have had over the years big contracts are too risky

But rolling contracts work both ways... Imagine he takes us into Europe and we see a team that develops quickly...He could easily be poached by another team although he doesn't strike me as the type of person to be motivated solely by money.

Guest Roger Kint

But rolling contracts work both ways... Imagine he takes us into Europe and we see a team that develops quickly...He could easily be poached by another team although he doesn't strike me as the type of person to be motivated solely by money.

:kinnear:

If they want him that badly, they'll pay the compensation either way.

Guest Ridzuan

Sometimes, I wonder if he will ever wear a suit to a game. I know its not a big deal, but I would love him to change the clothes that he is wearing for the matchday.

If they want him that badly, they'll pay the compensation either way.

That is the point of a contract.  It entitles you to compensation.  A rolling contract does not. 

Sometimes, I wonder if he will ever wear a suit to a game. I know its not a big deal, but I would love him to change the clothes that he is wearing for the matchday.

You have to be happy as it is tbh. 2 years ago he was wearing those socks as caretaker manager.  :lol:

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/82802815.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA5483E48C1157EEE3C91BADCCAD22B7A304519BBA3764D3A31DF

I think with the signing of Ben Arfa we are going to see Hughton's biggest test to date. At some point he'll have to make a tough decision on playing him instead of Nolan. People will moan but Keegan did exactly that after we got promoted. He moved on players who'd done well for us in order to improve the side. I think Hughton is growing into the job and will be more than capable of doing the right thing.