The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I agree with the HBA part, he didn't look too good yesterday, but I still would have rather had Tiote on the pitch than Nolan

I do understand why HBA was brought off, he wasn't very effective and looked a bit tired, but bringing off Tiote was strange. Hughton has brought off Nolan before in favour of a striker (Ameobi) and the same should have been done yesterday. Although Tiote wasn't "great" yesterday he would have perhaps kept us solid against their pressure for longer and kept the game at 1-1 or won it.

I don't know how anyone can say HBA wasn't very effective. He was keeping possession, beating players at will and releasing the ball to team mates...there's not really a lot more he can do other than either walk the ball into the net or get on the end of his own passes.  I would suggest the problems were elsewhere and trying to batter Stokes massive defenders with Carroll and Nolan wasn't a great game plan.

Guest neesy111

Am I the only person who thought the subs actually worked yesterday?

Jonas was a massive improvement on Ben Arfa who was poor.

Tiote played well, but the shift to a straight (and more attacking 442) saw us play better football in attacking areas when we were trying to win the game.

Tiote and Ben Arfa would not have stopped the individual mistakes that led to their goals.

The change in system saw us at least create a few scoring chances.

I think Hughton's getting stick because he took off the new signings, regardless of whether it helped when they went off (which it did - certainly in Ben Arfa's case).

He got stick mainly because he didn't take off Nolan, who was the most ineffective player on the pitch yesterday.

Tiote played well, but the shift to a straight (and more attacking 442) saw us play better football in attacking areas when we were trying to win the game.

Tiote and Ben Arfa would not have stopped the individual mistakes that led to their goals.

I think Hughton's getting stick because he took off the new signings, regardless of whether it helped when they went off (which it did - certainly in Ben Arfa's case).

Nope, I thought they worked too. The subs definitely made an impact when they came on but I was a bit disappointed that he took off Ben Arfa instead of Routledge, who was virtually anonymous for the whole second half.

I can understand taking Tiote off because Stoke were becoming more and more direct. There was no point in him standing there watching the ball sail over his head, and he was very little use defending set pieces because he's a midget.

Hughton needs to address the lack of movement up front. After we signed Routledge, he and Lovenkrands would constantly open defences up with the former playing through balls for the latter, we scored a lot of goals like that after January. Whatever you think of Lovenkrands, we desperately miss his movement because Carroll and Nolan have zero. Ben Arfa constantly picked the ball up waiting for a runner to go only to see the front pair standing still.

He got stick mainly because he didn't take off Nolan, who was the most ineffective player on the pitch yesterday.

Yeah, but he very nearly grabbed us a goal.

The same people would have been jumping for joy if that had gone in.

Fair enough he missed, but it's not like Tiote would have realistically been in a scoring position.

This is the issue with Nolan though. It's all well and good getting into these positions, but he isn't finishing them.

Why was Bafra poor exactly? He's not going to score wondergoals every game. [/wink] He is the only player we have who can give good passes into the box and he did that, just that there wa nobody there except Carroll marked by about 500 Jabba's.

Guest neesy111

Yeah, but he very nearly grabbed us a goal.

The same people would have been jumping for joy if that had gone in.

Fair enough he missed, but it's not like Tiote would have realistically been in a scoring position.

This is the issue with Nolan though. It's all well and good getting into these positions, but he isn't finishing them.

That's true, the guy has missed some very good opportunities in recent games.

Nolan's missed three what i would call sitters against wolves, blackpool and stoke. He gets away with it because he's not a striker yet also gets away with offering fuck all else because he's meant to be a striker! His defenders can't have it both ways.

I can't understand why Lovenkrands isn't getting a chance in the team. He was excellent throughout the second half of last season and his pace is always a threat.

I believe Nolan has a role to play but second striker simply isn't it. He isn't quick enough and he and Carroll do not compliment each other's play at all.

Carroll is being nulified at the moment. Unless he scores from a set piece he is redundant because most of the work he does goes to waste. What's the point in flicking the ball on when there's no-one there to get it? Why bother holding the ball up when no-one is running past him?

I would actually rather see Lovenkrands playing up front on his own if that's the formation Hughton is going to continue with.

Hughton needs to address the lack of movement up front. After we signed Routledge, he and Lovenkrands would constantly open defences up with the former playing through balls for the latter, we scored a lot of goals like that after January. Whatever you think of Lovenkrands, we desperately miss his movement because Carroll and Nolan have zero. Ben Arfa constantly picked the ball up waiting for a runner to go only to see the front pair standing still.

Spot on. I was saying pretty much the same in the pub last night.

Lovenkrands has a bit of pace and movement about him. No, I wouldn't say he's good enough to be a consistently effective player in this league, but give him a chance, surely? Baffling that he hasn't been given one.

Why was Bafra poor exactly? He's not going to score wondergoals every game. [/wink] He is the only player we have who can give good passes into the box and he did that, just that there wa nobody there except Carroll marked by about 500 Jabba's.

He's obviously not going to be amazing every game, and I'm not suggesting that. I just thought he was poor. He rarely attempted to run at anyone, and there was 4 or or 5 occassions where Barton was trying to tell him to go past Carroll from flick ons and he just stood there. Obviously, there is a language barrier there to break down, but I just thought he was poor, and practically marked out of the game.

Second half, i'll agree with you although it was only 15 minutes old. First half though he was playing well, did some nice runs and put in good crosses and was effective in possession of the ball.

He's obviously not going to be amazing every game, and I'm not suggesting that. I just thought he was poor. He rarely attempted to run at anyone, and there was 4 or or 5 occassions where Barton was trying to tell him to go past Carroll from flick ons and he just stood there. Obviously, there is a language barrier there to break down, but I just thought he was poor, and practically marked out of the game.

Barton might have tried taking his own advice and ran past Carroll himself a few times. The problem with our midfielders is they all want to stroll around in front of the central defenders and watch the game as spectators. I wonder how Tim Cahill gest so many goals? Or Gerrard?

If that is you summary then maybe we were watching different games because apart from scoring another screamer, he played he same way in the first half as he did against Everton. Ya second half he was less effective but he is playing as a left winger...it should be Nolan's role to play off Carroll or to get Carroll's flicks. If he is gonna be labelled poor because he didn't cut in from the left dribbling a few players pass to Carrol (who wasn't moving into space) and then run in to get the return balls, then God help him.

:thup:

CHRIS HUGHTON has explained why he took off two his star performers in the 2-1 defeat against Stoke City in Hatem Ben Arfa and Cheik Tiote.

Both his summer signings were shining against the Potters, with Ben Arfa full of running and Tiote putting in another solid and tidy display against Tony Pulis’ side.

Hughton threw on Jonas Gutierrez on 62 minutes for the Frenchman, with United leading 1-0 as he looked to help find that second goal.

And when Stoke pegged themselves back through Kenwyne Jones five minutes later, Tiote was sacrificed for Shola Ameobi as Kevin Nolan dropped back into midfield.

Hughton told the Chronicle: “I was looking to win the game.

“With Jonas, he can be more direct in the way he runs at the ball, and for Tiote because he’s very much a defensive midfield player.

“What I had left on the pitch were two strikers in Andy Carroll and Shola, and a midfield player in Kevin Nolan, that are all capable of scoring goals.

“I wanted to leave goalscorers on the pitch.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2010/09/27/nufc-boss-hughton-defends-tactical-switch-72703-27349389/#ixzz10kY8em5z

We took off our two best midfielders and then threw away the game - regardless of individual mistakes, how can that be praised?

CHRIS HUGHTON has explained why he took off two his star performers in the 2-1 defeat against Stoke City in Hatem Ben Arfa and Cheik Tiote.

Both his summer signings were shining against the Potters, with Ben Arfa full of running and Tiote putting in another solid and tidy display against Tony Pulis’ side.

Hughton threw on Jonas Gutierrez on 62 minutes for the Frenchman, with United leading 1-0 as he looked to help find that second goal.

And when Stoke pegged themselves back through Kenwyne Jones five minutes later, Tiote was sacrificed for Shola Ameobi as Kevin Nolan dropped back into midfield.

Hughton told the Chronicle: “I was looking to win the game.

“With Jonas, he can be more direct in the way he runs at the ball, and for Tiote because he’s very much a defensive midfield player.

“What I had left on the pitch were two strikers in Andy Carroll and Shola, and a midfield player in Kevin Nolan, that are all capable of scoring goals.

“I wanted to leave goalscorers on the pitch.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2010/09/27/nufc-boss-hughton-defends-tactical-switch-72703-27349389/#ixzz10kY8em5z

Hmm. I think privately he'll know he fucked up.

Both his summer signings were shining against the Potters, with Ben Arfa full of running and Tiote putting in another solid and tidy display against Tony Pulis side.

Hughton told the Chronicle: I was looking to win the game.

With Jonas, he can be more direct in the way he runs at the ball, and for Tiote because hes very much a defensive midfield player.

What I had left on the pitch were two strikers in Andy Carroll and Shola, and a midfield player in Kevin Nolan, that are all capable of scoring goals.

I wanted to leave goalscorers on the pitch.

That's a crock of shit, he took off the goal scorer from our previous league game to leave on a midfielder/forward who hasn't scored from open play since the Villa game.

It's a shame that Nolan is such a thorn in the side when it comes to putting out our best squad. You can't blame him really. We bought him when it should have been clear from scouting that he had been shite for bolton for a while.

Hughton must realise that there is a better player available for every position that Nolan can play. Play Arfa/Loven instead of Nolan, then you lose Barton or Tiote to Nolan in midfield. It's a conundrum, like.

Can't see it being addressed at all.