The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Heneage

There's no way he really thinks it's realistic to have a back up midfielder who's on 60 grand per week and coming close to 30. In the same way he believes Perch can realistically improve drastically at 24.

He knows his position but also knows he needs these players thinkingly positively incase he needs them.

Those who appear to have already made their mind re:Hughton are blatantly missing the bigger picture here..

Who do you think Ashley will replace him with? Massive compensation and contract for David Moyes? or Martin Jol? Or is it more likely we'll end up with some past-it geezer like Terry Venables or Glenn Hoddle.. to 'steady the ship' with their experience..

I'm not impressed with Hughton's tactics either but it's far too early to get on his back..

Those who appear to have already made their mind re:Hughton are blatantly missing the bigger picture here..

Who do you think Ashley will replace him with? Massive compensation and contract for David Moyes? or Martin Jol? Or is it more likely we'll end up with some past-it geezer like Terry Venables or Glenn Hoddle.. to 'steady the ship' with their experience..

I'm not impressed with Hughton's tactics either but it's far too early to get on his back..

Agree with that. I remain unconvinced that Ashley would consider sacking Hughton anyway tbh. As we've seen previously he's happy to risk relegation as long as it means not having to fork out too much. Presumably he reckons we'd just walk the Championship again.

He's probably still the best man for the job, however each game that goes by ATM I feel he's doing himself no favours and is painting himself in to a corner.

As we know our opinion on him and his ability is really not important, its just whether Ashley panics and does something stupid/brave and at what stage in the season? Hughton's contract isn't huge, therefore a decision won't be made on financial grounds, well it wont even be a consideration, Hughton might find the squeeze earlier than any of us think depending what happens in the next few games because of that.

Correct thing is Ashley sees the club needs help and needs some players, he gives Hughton some money to spend and sees our season through and we stay up. Most likely is Ashley blames hughton for not getting the results and sacks him, replaces him with the wrong man and we go down again while Ashley furiously tries to sell the club, can't and we have an even cheaper squad than last year trying to get us back in to the prem.

I'm not against hughton or him staying, but really things need to pick up as were one of the worst teams in the league and he should be doing better with the players he's got.

Agree with that. I remain unconvinced that Ashley would consider sacking Hughton anyway tbh. As we've seen previously he's happy to risk relegation as long as it means not having to fork out too much. Presumably he reckons we'd just walk the Championship again.

Do you think he'd renew Hughton's contract which is up in the summer if we went down?

Do you think he'd renew Hughton's contract which is up in the summer if we went down?

Dunno, but that's different to sacking him. I think he'll get a new contract at some point this season anyway.

Any new manager would have to accept there's basically fuck all for transfers as well, which makes it virtually impossible to get anyone of repute. As junkhead said, we'd probably be looking at George Graham and the likes.

Guest Heneage

How is there fuck all for transfers? What's not to say the budget will rise when our status is confirmed and we shift 2-3 players.

Dunno, but that's different to sacking him. I think he'll get a new contract at some point this season anyway.

Any new manager would have to accept there's basically fuck all for transfers as well, which makes it virtually impossible to get anyone of repute. As junkhead said, we'd probably be looking at George Graham and the likes.

Oh I know it is, it's pretty much pointless trying to second guess what Ashley thinks makes a good idea anyway. :lol:

If we did go down, I think we should be looking to someone else even if he is still here at the end of his contract.

Hughton - "We deserved draw"

We basically didn't at all

Massively important point too apparently.  Against a very good side too apparently.

The only good thing to come of yesterday is the fact Wigan didn't get three points.

His post match nonsense is really concerning.

I'm still primarily in the give Hughton time camp. But what worries me other than the usual tactical oversights (which most managers make every w/e anyway) is his distinct lack of charisma and dour work hard in training approach. It can get you only so far, there is a lot to be said about managers who can get the players to play above themselves (and with some CH has done this - Carroll/Williamson), but I have doubts about his ability to lift the whole side and make them believe the impossible is possible, cause that's what it takes at this level to survive when you are short on quality ammo. Still time.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Is Hughton's contract really up at the end of this Summer (2011)? I thought it was next Summer (2012), as he kept his old contract details, but had a change of job role?

That doesn't make sense, going down cost him more than it would have done to keep us up and I think/hope he'll know that now.

Fair play to him for leavin out Nolan, not sure if he was injured or what.

Hopefully he now knows that Guthrie is a CM or nothing, and that it's time to give Taylor a go at right back.

I would have made the subs at half time yesterday personally, thought we were asking for trouble to send out the same team. They pulled it off though, so I suppose it worked.

Who replaces him wasnt the question, as Im sure we all know Ashley will fuck it up with his replacement, Hughton is probably as good as we can hope for, but that doesnt mean Ive got Faith in his ability atm

Guest MrBrown

- At the start of the season, the aim was to avoid relegation.

- We are not in the bottom three.

- We have shown that we are at least trying to play decent football.

- The team have displayed good character.

- Look at some of the other results from other teams this season; the other teams are not bad teams. There might not be a 'bad' team in  the league this year. Man. Utd drew with West Brom, and Arsenal lost to them- with far better squads than us. Man. City drew with Blackburn.

- We lost to a Blackpool side who are doing very well this year, and we were unlucky to lose. Stoke are an establish Premier League team who have beaten better than us consistently. We were desperately unfortunate in the Man. City game.

- We are one weekend away from a decent position.

- Hughton is at least trying to change things. There is no doubt in my mind that he will address the right-back issue now that it's possible to do so.

- I don't remember the last manager who has been so astute in terms of identifying what the squad needs in the transfer window.

I have more belief in Hughton than any of the alternatives. He's intelligent, humble, and exceptionally hard-working. Were we shit yesterday? Yes. But it's probably the first game this season we have been genuinely bad, and there's an extent to which it's down to too many individual poor performances on the day. Hughton picked the team everyone wanted.