The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

CH just won over alot of people, alot IMO.

AND SO HE SHOULD.

What he has done, this result or not, is better than any thing fat face bagpuss could ever do.

Be grateful people, very.

Not here he hasn't. Most fans didn't need that to be behind him. They always have been.

Don't believe the media. It's 100% their own creation.

The banner was awesome.

:thup:

any picture of the banner? what did it say?

CH just won over alot of people, alot IMO.

AND SO HE SHOULD.

What he has done, this result or not, is better than any thing fat face bagpuss could ever do.

Be grateful people, very.

Not here he hasn't. Most fans didn't need that to be behind him. They always have been.

Don't believe the media. It's 100% their own creation.

The banner was awesome.

:thup:

any picture of the banner? what did it say?

hughton is a geordie

FWIW, just watching Warren Barton on TV here - he said he's spoken with Hughton and says the issue is simply one of compensation.  The club offered Hughton a new deal (didn't say when this happened), but not a particularly lucrative one, and Hughton turned them down in expectation of earning a better deal.

Transcript from Barton:

"I'll tell you basically what it is.  The point is - they've offered him a new contract and it's not what it should have beenbecause of what he's done.  He's saying to me, er...he's saying to people and he's said to me - is that I'm going to wait for a better offer.  And that's clearly - he's proved himself, he went there on a cheap budget; they got him cheap because he wanted the opportunity, he's done a magnificent job, pay him accordingly.  But Ashley's trying to say, 'Well, you're lucky to be in this job, you've done well...', Chris Hughton has obviously said, 'I get on with the players, I'm getting on with the fans, I'm getting on with my job'."

FWIW, just watching Warren Barton on TV here - he said he's spoken with Hughton and says the issue is simply one of compensation.  The club offered Hughton a new deal (didn't say when this happened), but not a particularly lucrative one, and Hughton turned them down in expectation of earning a better deal.

Transcript from Barton:

"I'll tell you basically what it is.  The point is - they've offered him a new contract and it's not what it should have beenbecause of what he's done.  He's saying to me, er...he's saying to people and he's said to me - is that I'm going to wait for a better offer.  And that's clearly - he's proved himself, he went there on a cheap budget; they got him cheap because he wanted the opportunity, he's done a magnificent job, pay him accordingly.  But Ashley's trying to say, 'Well, you're lucky to be in this job, you've done well...', Chris Hughton has obviously said, 'I get on with the players, I'm getting on with the fans, I'm getting on with my job'."

Was just about to come post this myself actually.

Barton went on to say he's kind of like "look, that offer's not good enough, let me prove that I think it needs to be better"

It's a shame Wor Chris is getting the run around.

The media's exaggerations and nonsense aside, the Warren Barton explanation makes perfect sense.  Ashley will have been reluctant to commit long-term (with a pay rise) to Hughton without feeling quite assured he's the right man for the job.  There have been enough bobbles in results here and there to make him at least a little bit nervous, I'd expect.  And since Ashley is tighter than ever, the amount of the pay rise will have always been a source of conflict.  From Hughton's perspective, he's done more than enough to have earned that and more.  And given his good relationship with the dressing room and confidence in the players, he's more than willing to gamble on his results being enough to shame Ashley into giving him the significant rise and longer-term deal he wants. 

It's not as sexy as "Geordie manager madness" but it makes sense.  And if Hughton's got us in solid position come January, he will no doubt get a new contract, more money, and more security.

The media's exaggerations and nonsense aside, the Warren Barton explanation makes perfect sense.  Ashley will have been reluctant to commit long-term (with a pay rise) to Hughton without feeling quite assured he's the right man for the job.  There have been enough bobbles in results here and there to make him at least a little bit nervous, I'd expect.  And since Ashley is tighter than ever, the amount of the pay rise will have always been a source of conflict.  From Hughton's perspective, he's done more than enough to have earned that and more.  And given his good relationship with the dressing room and confidence in the players, he's more than willing to gamble on his results being enough to shame Ashley into giving him the significant rise and longer-term deal he wants. 

It's not as sexy as "Geordie manager madness" but it makes sense.  And if Hughton's got us in solid position come January, he will no doubt get a new contract, more money, and more security.

yup :thup:

To be fair to Ashley, presumably he appointed Hughton partly because he thought he would always be happy with these short-term deals. Another bit of naivety from the fat man.

Sure they'll be able to come to a compromise though, even offering CH an improved deal will be much less expensive and risky than looking for someone else.

Sorry for stupid question. I have a rubbish photo of the Hughton Banner. How the f...k do I post it. I clicked on insert image and tried to cut and paste the image but can't get it to work. Ta.

At the top of left when you reply, there is a ImageShack toolbar, you use that and then copy and paste the URL of the image between the img tags.