The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I get the feeling that if Shearer had come in and done exactly as Hughton has people would be wanking in their Shredded Wheat.

Why would that happen?  Shearer was given plenty of stick as a player when he wasn't at his best and he would get the same if he was the manager.

Not sure how many managers would have kept Guthrie in the middle like he has, and dropped Butt and now Smith. Every single player brought in has also settled in very quickly and they hall look very good (even Fitz Hall).

Happy for Hughton. Think he has a lot of potential. He has shown that he will try different things and hasn't been too rigid or dogged with his team selections. Aside from his persistence with Nolan I can't really fault him for much else.

Great guy. Great temperament. Think he will only continue to get better as a manager.

Stick with him.

O0

I get the feeling that if Shearer had come in and done exactly as Hughton has people would be wanking in their Shredded Wheat.

It depends on how he did it. If he picked things in exactly the way Hughton has then I'd still be giving him grief.

Aye, you'd be. As would I tbh.

The general public in Newcastle thought he did a good job last season though, it's embarrassing.

I think most felt he had little or no chance of turning us around so will not mark him down for it.

The first 35 minutes underlined the problem with Hughton.

When the players use their own initiative they look so much more effective compared to when they stick to Hughton's plan. I said to the bloke next to me that we'd start playing after Morrison scored.

Guest guinness_fiend

It depends on how he did it. If he picked things in exactly the way Hughton has then I'd still be giving him grief.

For being top of the league?  Gerraway.  I know that there have been some missteps this season and we'd all rather be twenty points clear, but in reality that rarely happens and the Championship is renowned for being very tricky to navigate, especially during the winter months.

Given that we have what looks like a makeshift squad operating on a limited budget, with many of our spineless players choosing to jump ship at the first sign of trouble, I don't think he's done too bad and we should be grateful that we have a manager who is proving to be relatively dependable, if not particularly adventurous.

Guest guinness_fiend

Plus, if he gets us promoted, in my eyes he will have earned himself a pop at Premiership management.  We'd soon find out if he's cut out for it, but I'm not going to be one of the ungrateful bastards calling for his head as they boycott any (potential) promotion celebrations.

Guest neesy111

Plus, if he gets us promoted, in my eyes he will have earned himself a pop at Premiership management.  We'd soon find out if he's cut out for it, but I'm not going to be one of the ungrateful bastards calling for his head as they boycott any (potential) promotion celebrations.

8 games no wins so far i believe in premiership

Guest guinness_fiend

With a squad he's built himself?  Nope.  He managed to plug a sinking ship early in the Championship and his limited foray in the transfer market seems to be working out thus far.

West Brom.

Guest neesy111

West Brom.

i don't count that, as that was  :kinnear: team selection and preparation

what i do remember from the run of games after we lost  :kinnear: is that no 1 they were a lot of tough teams man u arsenal everton and no2 the performances against those teams was never bad

West Brom.

i don't count that, as that was  :kinnear: team selection and preparation

As opposed to Nolan's? O0

Guest Howaythetoon

Hughton has as good a chance of doing relatively well here because expectations and aims are so low in comparison to the past regarding our former managers (or should be...). If he just keeps us up next season if we do get promoted of course he'll have done amazingly well and I think based on what he's achieved so far and how he has went about things he stands a chance of doing that. If Phil brown can keep Hull up and he's a very poor manager then so can Hughton.