The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Apparently, with the passing of the late Keith Alexander, Hughton is now one of only two black managers in the football league.

So.. umm... Black power!  :nile:

Three.

http://www.catflapfootball.com/Football-Blogs/Football-Blog/content/binary/phil-brown-tache.jpg

Nah he's the only orange manager in football. Those damn orangies.

Look at Leicester's squad man, just look at the state of it. They were about to start a season in League 1 when Pearson took over, they're now on the verge of the premier league via the playoffs.

As for Hughton having a better record as caretaker. :lol:

Depends on how you look at it I suppose. I don't think taking us to eight points clear with a game in hand at the top of the table was particularly easy either considering the shambles we were in pre-season. Forgive me if I'm wrong but weren't you one of the people saying that we could be facing consecutive relegations?

And I wasn't saying that Hughton was a better caretaker, just that both were so horrible that there's really no point in comparing.

Once september 1st arrived I predicted we'd go up as champions.

Hughton is growing in confidence with every game and is finally settling into the role of a manager rather than a coach or caretaker. He's getting bolder, proving tougher and learning from mistakes each week. As first impressions go (as a manager) he's doing a mighty fine job and I'm actually going to be quite intrigued as to how he handles himself and with it our team as a Premier League manager, which he will have earned the right to be.

The worry is Roeder.

Hughton is definitely more humble and probably more thoughtful than many managers who tend to be up themselves, arrogant and convinced they are always right. It means he is always open to other options and he will have to keep an open mind in the summer as there will be tough choices to be made about jettisoning some individuals who are not good enough for the premiership, despite how much they have done in this division.

he's also a dedicated football man who put the hours in, which puts him above some other candidates for the job who seem more interested in the potential for glory than working the long hours needed to attain it. You can tell he relishes and appreciates the opportunity and will work bloody hard to make a success of it.

on the other hand i am still not convinced about his suitability for managing in the premiership, where he will face a completely different set of challenges. in this league we go into every game as the side with the best players, usually in good form and in good spirits. next season he will be faced with having one of the worst squads, a side that will usually be out of form with a consequent lower morale. is hughton the man who can A/ get more out of the side than the sum of its parts? and B/ provide the motivation neccessary when things are going badly wrong?

For A, I think he's done poorly at this for most of the season, with us playing awfully and getting results due to inherent superiority over the opposition rather than anything he has done. However more recently we have been playing better football, becoming more dominant in general play, asserting our qualities and looking more like a good team as opposed to a collection of good individuals. If we can keep this form and build up even more understanding between team-mates up it'll give us something to go into next season with.

For B, it's too early to tell as he's not really been faced with any problems to be overcome (bit like roeder before he became full time manager). he doesn't come across as a huge motivator or charismatic individual, which is a little worrying. on the other hand, he doesnt seem like a dickhead a la souness, allardyce or kinnear, which is always an asset, and means, hopefully, we wont see ructions and divisions through the club.

I think the comparisons to Roeder are unfair.  When Roeder was appointed after his good spell as caretaker, there were still many reasons to be sceptical.  He wasn't exactly an unknown.  He had lots of experience as a manager, and all of it ended in failure.  He spent his entire career fighting relegation, most of the time unsuccessfully.  I will admit that I was one of those who thought he should have been given the chance, but we really should have seen it coming.

I don't think you can say that about Hughton.  If he fails as a Premiership manager, the only thing you can point to are a few games as ringleader of the circus after Keegan & Kinnear, and some questionable team selection during what might be a title winning season.  And his general lack of experience, which isn't necessarily a negative.

Hughton is growing in confidence with every game and is finally settling into the role of a manager rather than a coach or caretaker. He's getting bolder, proving tougher and learning from mistakes each week. As first impressions go (as a manager) he's doing a mighty fine job and I'm actually going to be quite intrigued as to how he handles himself and with it our team as a Premier League manager, which he will have earned the right to be.

Yep. Good post.

Guest Howaythetoon

Fans of every team the world over will question their manager's team selection, tactics, match analysis and substitutions etc. From Manchester United all the way down to Gateshead. At the end of the day, however, the results are all that matter and when your manager is guiding your team to a title and promotion in his first year in the hot seat and his first as a manager and in the kind of circumstances that have surrounded our club, that's all he should be judged on really.

Despite getting a point today he did nothing to sort out our problems, and towards the end took our only goal threat (at that point in th game I believe Carroll wasn't up to much) off for a crap midfielder to plug the gap in the middle.

He truely isn't a manager, please see sense Hughton and step down at the end of the season.

Guest Hellhammer

He truely isn't a manager, please see sense Hughton and step down at the end of the season.

People can say what ever they want, but what ure writing there is a fact and its proven time after time. But of course he wont step down as manager.

Guest Roger Kint

Bringing on Butt when having players like Routledge (?), Ranger and even Best on the bench should earn CH the sack.

Routledge clearly not fit, only on bench in desperation like Jose.

Which of Best and Ranger would you have used to help our overrun midfield and makeshift defence? ???

People can say what ever they want, but what ure writing there is a fact and its proven time after time. But of course he wont step down as manager.

Aye, funny that with us being top of the division...

Guest Roger Kint

Butt was a wise substitution.

Desperately needed to strike a balance in the midfield and Butt would have been the best option.

:clap:

He really needed to do something with regard to the middle of midfield as they were cutting through us at will. Loven shouldn't have come off though, should have been Pancrate with three in the centre with Jonas floating about.

Butt was a wise substitution.

Desperately needed to strike a balance in the midfield and Butt would have been the best option.

:clap:

Chrissy Hughtons Black and White Army - We hate Sunderland!!!