The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bringing on Butt is what got us back into the game to be honest. We were losing out all over the midfield until he came on.

Don't agree, tbh. We only looked liked scoring when we went 2-1 because they started dropping back.

I think bringing on a DM for a striker was the correct move at that time, it's just a shame that the DM we had available was Nicky Butt.

Yes, yes, yes, a thousand times yes.

End the debate now - it's silly.

This idea that our premiership quality squad will get us promotion rather than Hughton is a bit suspect. The squad is ok but the only real part of the team which looks quality at this level is the defence. Take Colo and Williamson out for a sustained period and I think we'd get turned over like Forest did more regularly.

Newcastle top of the league by 4 points with a game in hand

"Any manager would have got us here."

Wow, some people have short memories. A certain Mr Kinnear, anyone?

EDIT: Directed at Parky and co. and not ChrisJ obviously.

His decision to bring on Butt for Lovenkrands just shows how out of his depth he'll be next season.

completely correct. i was screaming at him in the stands when he brought Best on....but he actually played quite well, and did a lot more than Carroll today.

Guest firetotheworks

His decision to bring on Butt for Lovenkrands just shows how out of his depth he'll be next season.

completely correct. i was screaming at him in the stands when he brought Best on....but he actually played quite well, and did a lot more than Carroll today.

err...

P.S. I cannot believe the amount of s*** people come out with at times, he brought Butt on to stop us winning...f*** off man.

Choking a lot today, but comments like that (what you point out in your post, not your post) are f***ing retarded.

It doesn't take more then an ounce of sense to realise that people aren't being serious when they say something like that  :dowie:

I know...but it's what others are pretty much getting at when they come out with other less obvious shite.

They're getting at the fact that Hughton's spineless.  Obviously he wants us to win every game, but he'll often go out for a draw, when teams put pressure on us (which is inevitable when the gameplan is to draw) he becomes a rabbit in the headlights.  He doesn't understand that sometimes the best form of defence is attack.  I'm not suggesting we go out all guns blazing in every situation, just that Hughton is far too negative.

I went over to watch the match today thinking that a draw would be a good result.  But that doesn't mean we should play as if the draw is all we've come for.  It doesn't mean we should bring on a burden like Nicky Butt and take off one of our best outlets up front, that only put more pressure on us.

Well put.

He isn't good enough for the PL - get rid at the end of the season. By all accounts he is a fair coach and we should retain him as that.

Guest NSMagpie

Should he be kept on as manager once we get promoted?

I think Hughton should. Not so sure about Houghton though.

Hilarious... :mackems:

If some ardent posters can't spell even the surname of the current manager, should they be writing on the subject of spelling?  :laugh:

Or, some other questions that just beg to be asked:

1. Is the choice of a football club manager about football or about general culture?

2. How many non- Portuguese actually can pronounce "Mourinho" correctly, even if they spell it properly?

3. If a manager spells it with less than 2 mistakes, is he at least half-qualified for the job?

He isn't good enough for the PL - get rid at the end of the season. By all accounts he is a fair coach and we should retain him as that.

Bizarre decisions yesterday, but then I suppose he can argue that he was justified with the fact we came away with a point and looked the more likely side to win the game in the closing stages. Should we have been settling for a point from the start, though? (Which did appear to be the case.)

However, alter the decision-making from what it was and you could never predict how the game would have played-out. After-all we did go a goal down after the substitutions were made and had to fight back just to get where we were.

It must be added though that it was a big, big game for him yesterday and he had a real nightmare with Williamson withdrawing late-on and then Coloccini having to go off just after half-time. It was obvious that Jose can't have been fit enough to play such a part (so I suppose one could wonder why he was named on the bench) and hence he had to bring Ryan Taylor on and switch the defence around.

Just a funny old day really, after he has generally been doing well recently.

Im sorry to tell you, and I think you already know this, but its not going to happen under the current regime, he has earned his chance to manage in the prem, and wether we think he is good enough or not, the current board will give him the opportunity, the only way I see us getting a new manager in the summer is if we get a new owner.

so, to be clear, at the start of the season few expected us to do so well.

now we're top, anyone could have done it?

ok.

I expected us to be in the top 4/5 actually.

would you class that as doing as well as where we are currently?

nope.

so again, few expected us to do so well.

Guest firetotheworks

so, to be clear, at the start of the season few expected us to do so well.

now we're top, anyone could have done it?

ok.

I expected us to be in the top 4/5 actually.

would you class that as doing as well as where we are currently?

nope.

so again, few expected us to do so well.

Few expected us to do so well not because we underestimated the team, but underestimated just how shit the opposition would be. I'm a bit of a fence sitter with Hughton. I think he's definitely good enough for this league, but wont be when we hopefully get in the PL imo.

How boring. I think it's pretty evident to most fans Hughton has his flaws, but to how pathetic is it that after winning four games on the trot at the first sign he's made an error of judgement we get the same people whining on.

It goes without saying Hughton isn't everyone's first choice here, his inadequacies have been done to death. For me that makes it all the more impressive we're sitting cleat top of the league. We'd all prefer a proper manager but that just isn't going to happen at this moment in time, but instead of bitching and moaning about it why not get behind him?

I can see his logic in the Butt decision. We getting completely overrun in the middle of the park so he put an extra man in there to try and regain control. Now while I personally don't agree with it, I'm not going to crucify him for it. It makes all the more frustrating those complaining remained relative quiet during our recent four game winning streak.

So aye I'd prefer a manger in charge of our team, but given what he has Hughton has done a good job. While I'd be looking for someone to replace him in the summer if no one decent is available I certainly wouldn't sack him for the sake of it. He makes mistakes, we know that but its about time some accepted for all his flaws the man has actually done a f***ing good job to get us where we are right now.

I think it's the same with every manager, everywhere, mate. Probably not to this extent in some cases but I've definitely seen it on multiple forums with managers far more embedded and well-liked at their respective clubs than he is. You'd be surprised at how much stick the likes of Ferguson, Wenger, etc. get for similar sorts of "bad decisions".

I wouldn't let it bother you too much, but if it leads to more posts like that one then I wouldn't take Jon's advice and skip the thread after every draw/loss :thup:

I'm not his biggest fan by any stretch but he has done a pretty good job, and as I said, we still managed to get a 2-2 yesterday - which wasn't too much of a bad result considering how far above their level 'Boro played and how their recent home form has been (pretty decent). He is still too cautious, but at the end of the day we went away from home in a "derby" and played an attacking 4-4-2 with two wingers which was pretty good to see.

He's learning the ropes, but like others I'm still not convinced he'll be at a level to have us performing well enough in the PL to be comfortable. Time will tell.

i just don't get how different we are home and away

Happens with lots of teams, especially when you are doing well as the home crowd will really get more out of the player if they are behind them.

There is also a bit of a catch 22 situation happening where we have a few "homers" so Hughton plays it safe (negative) but the negative approach doesn't help get the best out of our better players.

To be fair I think despite his faults Hughton has got it right more often than not as our current league position shows. Seen on here a number of times people saying things like "well I wasn't happy when he did that but fair play it came off", even the Butt decision yesterday seems to have split the fans fairly evenly and the majority hate (playing wise) Butt which makes is a surprise anyone backed the decision. It would be nice to just go all out every game because we have the "best team in the league" but I am not sure if it would work and am happy to give CH the benefit of the doubt due to him getting the results that have got us where we are.

Happens at loads of teams, even ones at the top. Mentality, tactics, personnel, approach of opponents, etc.

Loads goes into it.

After a quick look to back up my shitty memory, when we came 3rd in 2002/03 under Bobby we only won 6 games away in the league (15 at home).

When we came 2nd in 1995/96 under Keegan we only won 7 away compared to 17 at home.

Just a couple of examples of when we've personally been great at home and not so great away in recent times.

I know the difference in terms of style and therefore performance has been a lot larger this season (i.e. Hughton playing a home formation and an away formation, in essence) but the results aren't too different from those seasons. We hadn't been playing that well at home until fairly recently, too.

If anything it's probably been my biggest problem with him. At first we took the 4-5-1 long ball approach. The good news I think he realised this wasn't working and has gone 4-4-2. Now he needs to take a look at it and learn we can't play Guthrie and Nolan in the middle away from home, we need a Smith or a Butt to throw themselves about and stop us getting overrun.

I honestly wouldn't mind going back to a 4-5-1 as long as we keep the ball on the deck, the biggest problem before is we'd just launch the ball up to Carroll and it would come straight back at us. The good news is he is learning and trying to adapt.

If anything it's probably been my biggest problem with him. At first we took the 4-5-1 long ball approach. The good news I think he realised this wasn't working and has gone 4-4-2. Now he needs to take a look at it and learn we can't play Guthrie and Nolan in the middle away from home, we need a Smith or a Butt to throw themselves about and stop us getting overrun.

I honestly wouldn't mind going back to a 4-5-1 as long as we keep the ball on the deck, the biggest problem before is we'd just launch the ball up to Carroll and it would come straight back at us. The good news is he is learning and trying to adapt.

Which he has been doing all season and it's refreshing after so many stubborn/proud/arrogant managers who refuse to change their tactics because it would be admitting they were wrong.

I don't see why Hughton can't go on to be a decent manager, I just worry it will be too much of a gamble if it's with us next season. That said we have had a number of "proven" and even highly rated managers who have failed massively so whoever we get next season is going to be a gamble.