Newcastle United 2 - 2 West Brom - 18/01/10 - post match reaction from page 27

Dave

Great game from both teams. Could well be a Premier League match imo.

As much as it's been very entertaining to watch, the very much non-PL standard of defending has been pivotal to creating that.

Jonas dives. Get him booked.

Why do you want our own players booked?

Because he cheated.

If it wins us a penalty or a freekick opportunity I won't care how he's gotten it.

I certainly would.

Same here. Nothing worse than cheating.

:no: It's about the end, not about the means.

Not bad, all things considered.

Great game to watch, but it just demonstrates how limited this squad is. When West Brom have the ball we're being comprehensively outplayed.

Can't wait for Stamford Bridge if we go up. 17-0 anyone?

Great game from both teams. Could well be a Premier League match imo.

exactly, which is why we're both at the right end of the table

gonna be a rollercoaster 2nd half I reckon...

my prediction is 3-2, with loven and taylor scoring

A good first half, with both sides playing well.

Objectively I think they had a bit more of the initiative and have been more of a goal threat. But I think this is the kind of match where we'll have the second half and probably win it!

good goal guthrie and a nice return to watching football.

2-1

Not bad, all things considered.

Great game to watch, but it just demonstrates how limited this squad is. When West Brom have the ball we're being comprehensively outplayed.

Can't wait for Stamford Bridge if we go up. 17-0 anyone?

Not so keen to be counting chickens just yet, tbh. That lead at the top of the table could dissolve quite quickly.

This Nolan thing is really beginning to bother me you know ... almost beginning to irk me just as much as Butt did last season.

Should we go up, you just know Nolan will be straight into the team next season too, seeing as he has been so 'important' for us this season.

The guy is only even half useful if we cover him with two other midfielders in the centre. When is Barton back again? He could be very crucial as far as that goes.

more dithering from Simpson.  I like him as he has done well for us but I'm scared at the idea of him playing Premier League teams each week if we go up and sign him.

If he dives in he's taken out of the game. He's just stopped a goal by getting in the right position and taking the power of it, couldnt have done any more.

I said he's done well for us, i.e. made a good tackle, but it worries me how he's giving up 2 or 3 yards of ground each time.  It could lead to getting punished.  He doesn't have to charge in but he should force him wide over forward where possible.  I'm sure I've seen him back off 3 times and give up too much ground (thus making it an easier chance for Brom) and get him getting a bit lucky with the tackle really.

Looks to me like both teams are just getting caught on the break. Our central defence goes up for corners/freekicks etc and they counter..we dont have the legs to get back as quickly as they can attack.

Outside of that, our marking on crosses has just been poor at times & at the start of the game they were sliding through balls in behind Colo

Jonas dives. Get him booked.

Why do you want our own players booked?

Because he cheated.

If it wins us a penalty or a freekick opportunity I won't care how he's gotten it.

I certainly would.

Same here. Nothing worse than cheating.

:no: It's about the end, not about the means.

Yes it is. Cheating has always, and will always, ruin football matches. Regardless if it helps my team win or not, it'd be a win with a bitter taste.

Guest DarkSchneider

I think Nolan did more useful things than Smith... He's dangerous in attack. I think he can pick a right pass. If Smith could do anything else besides running and passing back we would look much better.

PL Quality match, we should have defended better for their goal, but class free kick from Guthrie, we need to start taking some of our chances.

Hmmm...everyone else did except Shola! He's done enough harm to get him subbed. Get Ranger on

Simpson is hardly justifying his supposed wage demands tonight.

jerome thomas has turned him inside out. tbh simpson's looked a bit out of his depth recently. he is in poor form and we know he can play better but atm he needs to improve.

West Brom are looking really good, we can't really cope with their pace and directness at times. Saying that, they are struggling with Jonas and Guthrie when we do get on the ball. Simpson has looked indecisive in defence at times, need to learn a thing or two from his full back colleague on the other side.