Newcastle United 2 - 2 West Brom - 18/01/10 - post match reaction from page 27

Dave

also what is it with refs in this league trying to show that they wont be intimidated at SJP and give the home decisions  - pathetic!

It really is.

Over the years many refs have been accused of being "homers" but this season we seem to have created the opposite as a succession of poor Championship referees have set out to prove they will not be swayed by a big crowd and end up letting that intention take over, giving nothing to us and letting the opposition kick lumps out of our players. (Particularly Jonas)

I agree, then there is the unavoidable fact that the standards are just lower in this division. How we can have a player ruled offside when he is several yards onside is pathetic.

Guest Roger Kint

what do they do in training? if i was hughton i'd have Jonas practicing cutting inside and shooting for 3 hours a day, every day.

Get Beardsley to train him on it

The last two seasons I'd say the only controversial decisions that have gone our way at home were the penalty against Sunderland and Harewood's v Boro. Other than that we've been given nowt and had plenty gone against us (Beye red card, Owen over the line v Chelsea not given, Viduka v Fulham, last night, etc)

West Brom are as close to a Premiership side as we'll see this season (bar if we play a PL side in the cup) and if i'm honest i thought we were lucky to get a draw. What i saw last night was one team of teamplayers, another one full of individuals led by a manager who quite obviously is not in as much control as we'd like to think. We've been lucky this season to rely on an individual moment of quality against lesser teams but last night was a massive wake up call.

Defensively we were reminiscent of last season, lack of protection to the back 4 and feathers ruffled when a big powerful striker comes to play. Simpson was quite simply awful and he was playing against a player who would maybe only just scrape it into a low Premiership side. Colo and Taylor defended well when the ball was on the deck particularly Colo who i thought was impressive with one-on-one situations but when it was in the air neither dealt with the situation particularly well but a lot of their problems stemmed from the midfield, which i'll get onto next. Enrique, played alright but seemed to feel the pressure.

The midfield was absolutely dire, West Brom knew this and set up perfectly to get us at our most vulnerable. They had a 5 man midfield and caught us time and time again on the counter, constantly overloading our fullbacks. This problem was caused by our particularly weak right hand side, Guthrie is not particularly quick and therefore holds no threat of counter attacking, so their fullback had no fear in getting forward. The other of West Brom's tactics was to break through the middle, on at least 20 occasions, 2 of their 3 central midfielders would burst towards our box, they were rapid and continuously left Smith and particularly Nolan for dead and they made no attempt to track them. This left Colo and Taylor with an extra man to pick up which would force one of our fullbacks to cover, leaving their man free which gave West Brom's fullbacks more incentive to get forward. This will be a massive problem if we get promoted as we will leak goals, what makes it worse though is Hughton's total lack of power and authority as Nolan is evidently a big character in the dressing room and a part of the player democracy. Everyone could see Nolan was causing us a lot of damage but Hughton was too scared to make the call and this is why he'll never be a good PL manager.

I can't really complain a lot about the strikers, Shola was crap but his service was awful and Lovenkrands tried a few things but again service was so bad that it didn't make much of an impact. Quality goal, was nice to see after his family loss.

Guest Stephen927

Fair point, Venkman. Lampard used to stop back after training and just practise shooting into an empty net.

Would only take an hour of his time after training to practise too, presuming he doesn't already (I really hope he doesn't).

When Nolan got booked for kicking the West Brom player the TV graphic said it was the 5th yellow card he's picked up. 1 match ban now isn't it?

No, that rule ended at the turn of the year.

Did it? What happens now then? Why did they show he'd picked up 5 yellows if it doesn't matter then I wonder? Purely to show the stats?

When Nolan got booked for kicking the West Brom player the TV graphic said it was the 5th yellow card he's picked up. 1 match ban now isn't it?

No, that rule ended at the turn of the year.

Did it? What happens now then? Why did they show he'd picked up 5 yellows if it doesn't matter then I wonder? Purely to show the stats?

They show the number no matter what, like when Shola got booked it showed it was his first of the season.

Guest Roger Kint

What is the new rule? How many yellows for a suspension?

seems strange that they change it mid season aswell.

Its always been like it, 5 yellows = ban then around Jan/Feb it goes to 10 = ban

Nothing strange about it, why should somebody get a ban for 5 yellows in say 40 league games?

What is the new rule? How many yellows for a suspension?

seems strange that they change it mid season aswell.

Its always been like it, 5 yellows = ban then around Jan/Feb it goes to 10 = ban

Nothing strange about it, why should somebody get a ban for 5 yellows in say 40 league games?

i see. i misunderstood your "the rule ended at ther turn of the year"

Guest ItalianMagpie

West Brom are as close to a Premiership side as we'll see this season (bar if we play a PL side in the cup) and if i'm honest i thought we were lucky to get a draw. What i saw last night was one team of teamplayers, another one full of individuals led by a manager who quite obviously is not in as much control as we'd like to think. We've been lucky this season to rely on an individual moment of quality against lesser teams but last night was a massive wake up call.

Defensively we were reminiscent of last season, lack of protection to the back 4 and feathers ruffled when a big powerful striker comes to play. Simpson was quite simply awful and he was playing against a player who would maybe only just scrape it into a low Premiership side. Colo and Taylor defended well when the ball was on the deck particularly Colo who i thought was impressive with one-on-one situations but when it was in the air neither dealt with the situation particularly well but a lot of their problems stemmed from the midfield, which i'll get onto next. Enrique, played alright but seemed to feel the pressure.

The midfield was absolutely dire, West Brom knew this and set up perfectly to get us at our most vulnerable. They had a 5 man midfield and caught us time and time again on the counter, constantly overloading our fullbacks. This problem was caused by our particularly weak right hand side, Guthrie is not particularly quick and therefore holds no threat of counter attacking, so their fullback had no fear in getting forward. The other of West Brom's tactics was to break through the middle, on at least 20 occasions, 2 of their 3 central midfielders would burst towards our box, they were rapid and continuously left Smith and particularly Nolan for dead and they made no attempt to track them. This left Colo and Taylor with an extra man to pick up which would force one of our fullbacks to cover, leaving their man free which gave West Brom's fullbacks more incentive to get forward. This will be a massive problem if we get promoted as we will leak goals, what makes it worse though is Hughton's total lack of power and authority as Nolan is evidently a big character in the dressing room and a part of the player democracy. Everyone could see Nolan was causing us a lot of damage but Hughton was too scared to make the call and this is why he'll never be a good PL manager.

I can't really complain a lot about the strikers, Shola was crap but his service was awful and Lovenkrands tried a few things but again service was so bad that it didn't make much of an impact. Quality goal, was nice to see after his family loss.

I totally agree, from the first to the last word. This really was a wake up call, and I'm afraid we'll get a further confirmation on Saturday. We really need to bring someone in but as usual we won't, so I hope Hughton at least realises that Smith is a former player, and that he doesn't leave Raylor parked on the bench anymore...

Fair point, Venkman. Lampard used to stop back after training and just practise shooting into an empty net.

Would only take an hour of his time after training to practise too, presuming he doesn't already (I really hope he doesn't).

the thing is right, we know he can beat players, he's done it every week in the championship without fail. and we know he's an average crosser of the ball at best and pretty hopeless at shooting, but the amount of time he gets into the position to shoot, if he at least had a bit of confidence about it from doing it over and over again in training, surely he'd get AT LEAST one on target a game. once thats done, you dont have to rely on a striker to be in the box or finish the ball (unless its a rebound chance, which will happen aswell), and with the standard of keepers in this league, some are going to go in.

fair enough it might be a mental weakness of his, but for fucks sake thats the WHOLE POINT of training, to make these players better. it shouldnt be about him staying extra hours to do it, although that would be commendable, hughton should be seeing these things in games, and saying to him 'right, this is what you're doing in training for the forseeable future, until you bag a few', as long as his general fitness stays good at the same time what have we got to lose?

and this should apply all over the park, constantly fire long balls at colo and make him deal with them in the air, run people at taylor and tell him he can only back off so far, and shoot kevin nolan in the kneecaps and do us all a favour. granted i dont know that this stuff isnt all taking place but i fucking doubt it.

Guest Stephen927

The trouble is, if you haven't got a good free kick taker in training, then you will struggle to replicate real game scenarios. The same goes for if the squad quality is bare, it's tough to get competitive games going in training.

I agree with your post.

The trouble is, if you haven't got a good free kick taker in training, then you will struggle to replicate real game scenarios. The same goes for if the squad quality is bare, it's tough to get competitive games going in training.

I agree with your post.

Best crosser of the ball in the open training session at SJP last season which involved Duff, Geremi, Godsmark and R.Taylor was Alan Thompson.

I'm not sure I agree that we were lucky to get a point last night. Yes West Brom looked a lot betteer than us, knocked it around much better. While we were awkward in posession and not in any shape as fluid as them. Having said that we created enough chances to win it, yes Miller missed an absolute sitter but we had, Carson make a great save in the last minute from Taylor FK, Jonas screw up the final ball when a goal looked odds on, A terrible off side call on Lovenkrands that would have left him 1 on 1 with the keeper, along with at least 2 blatant penalty shouts turned down.

As I said West Brom did look good, the best side we've faced all year, but they were also cynical and have their problems at the back where they do not look convincing.

I do't think we were lucky at all to get a point, a point was probably a fair result for the night but we would not have been lucky had we even won it in the end.