Mike Williamson (now managing MK Dons)

Ritchie

Taylor is the better athlete, but Williamson is more comfortable on the ball, is decisive and takes responsibility. He's the better bet. Taylor hasn't developed into the player I thought he could be.

As for Colo, I'm one of the doubters. The biggest difference between the Premiership and the Championship is quality in the final third, and I think he'll get found out again.

I share your view ; Coloccini's biggest failing last season was getting caught out by the pace and movement of Prem strikers - he was either on the wrong side of them, or they left him for dead if they beat the offside. Look how Torres took the defence apart at SJP ; I know he's top quality, but that is what our CDs will be faced with next season. There IS an argument for saying that Colo was not happy alongside Taylor and I also have reservations about him...a good CD pairing need to complement each other and Taylor has not made any of the players he has partnered look decent.

There is much thinking for Hughton and Calderwood to do when deciding transfer targets and trying to stay within their budget....

Taylor is the better athlete, but Williamson is more comfortable on the ball, is decisive and takes responsibility. He's the better bet. Taylor hasn't developed into the player I thought he could be.

As for Colo, I'm one of the doubters. The biggest difference between the Premiership and the Championship is quality in the final third, and I think he'll get found out again.

I share your view ; Coloccini's biggest failing last season was getting caught out by the pace and movement of Prem strikers - he was either on the wrong side of them, or they left him for dead if they beat the offside. Look how Torres took the defence apart at SJP ; I know he's top quality, but that is what our CDs will be faced with next season. There IS an argument for saying that Colo was not happy alongside Taylor and I also have reservations about him...a good CD pairing need to complement each other and Taylor has not made any of the players he has partnered look decent.

There is much thinking for Hughton and Calderwood to do when deciding transfer targets and trying to stay within their budget....

You do have to wonder what effect all the upheaval had on our players last year also. Particularly the new ones.

I remember how well Colo did in his first game at Old Trafford against Rooney. It looked very, very promising. Looked like another Carvalho. I think he'll be fine.

Guest Stephen927

Coloccini is a marked man in the Premiership now, every manager will be telling his team to put pressure on him. We should be able to tell in the first 10 games what kind of a season he is going to have. I hope he starts strongly then progresses from there.

Guest Howaythetoon

He reads the game well which is something that will be of huge benefit to him (and indeed the team itself) when facing better quality strikers next season where he will be tested much much more.

Darren Huckerby is an english legend.

:lol: That was brilliant.

:lol: is that video still knocking around?

don`t know if I can post the video but if you go to youtube and type  - "Huckerby on KRON" - you`ll find it :lol:

So legendary, he struggles to remember his name after the break. :lol:

didn`t realise there was a follow up interview. Looks pretty embarassed :lol:

"Huckerby on KRON 2nd Interview" - youtube

The key difference between Taylor and Williamson is strength. Williamson is much stronger and doesn't seem to lose balance and fall over like Taylor tends to. That plus the added height is a huge plus. Williamson just has more presence and authority about him.

taylor is better on the ball imo but i'd trust williamson more to do the rightthing when on the ball ie braying it behind the oppo full back when need be.

it may well be horses for courses and out of taylor/williamson/colo choosing who would do best against certain opposition.

I still have my doubts about Colo mainly due to the regularity and ease with which he was shown up last season.

Having said that, our midfield was fucking garbage and offered no protection whatsoever to the back four.

Hopefully, with the organisation Hughton and Calderwood have instilled plus the addition of a mobile midfield general, the CBs won't be exposed so often. The thought of either Nicky Butt or Alan Smith featuring in our Central midfield next season makes me want to weep

Williamson lacks quite a bit of pace. It'll be interesting to see how he copes in the PL, because he generally is a very good CB from what we've seen. He's brave, calm and sensible....good reader of the game as well.

Coloccini isn't the quickest either (good reader of the game though) so it will be interesting to see how we do when we come up against players like Torres, Rooney and Drogba.

Williamson lacks quite a bit of pace. It'll be interesting to see how he copes in the PL, because he generally is a very good CB from what we've seen. He's brave, calm and sensible....good reader of the game as well.

Coloccini isn't the quickest either (good reader of the game though) so it will be interesting to see how we do when we come up against players like Torres, Rooney and Drogba.

Let's not kid ourselves, against the likes of Torres, Rooney and Drogba we will be slaughtered even if we get two new centre defenders (CD) unless we are talking about getting world class CDs (which we won't be getting). Our challenge next season will be to see how our defence holds up against the likes of Wigan, Bolton and Blackburn

Let's not kid ourselves, against the likes of Torres, Rooney and Drogba we will be slaughtered even if we get two new centre defenders (CD) unless we are talking about getting world class CDs (which we won't be getting). Our challenge next season will be to see how our defence holds up against the likes of Wigan, Bolton and Blackburn

Rooney, Drogba and Torres rape most CB's no matter who they are.

Rooney, Drogba and Torres rape most CB's no matter who they are.

This.

I think we're in good hands if we go into the Prem with Williamson and Coloccini as our two first-choice CBs.

Depends on the improvements made in front of them.

Guest optimistic nit

by interesting do you mean absolutely terrifying?

I'll be quite upset if Taylor is put in ahead of him next season, because he is definitely a better centre back.

Sees things very early and is always in good positions. Is very calm and good on the ball. Is an absolute colossus dealing with aerial balls.

Really hope Taylor is moved to right back, where he really looked a much better player anyway.

Didn't Taylor start his career at right back under Sir Bobby?.

He is 26 and has never even started a Premier League game.  He might very well be totally out of his depth when plays at a high level.

Guest prestonj1989

I'll be quite upset if Taylor is put in ahead of him next season, because he is definitely a better centre back.

Sees things very early and is always in good positions. Is very calm and good on the ball. Is an absolute colossus dealing with aerial balls.

Really hope Taylor is moved to right back, where he really looked a much better player anyway.

Didn't Taylor start his career at right back under Sir Bobby?.

He is 26 and has never even started a Premier League game.  He might very well be totally out of his depth when plays at a high level.

I think we should be looking at getting Hall in on a permanent deal. He has PL experience and imo has looked just as good as Williamson when he has played this season.

• 4 months later...