Wayne Routledge signs 3 year deal with Swansea

clintdempsey

Routledge was decent in the CCC but has struggled to transfer that form to the PL - as he has with the other PL sides he played for. Despite that, my concern about this move is that the squad is getting dangerously thin. As geordemonster says, a look at Spurs m/f squad tells you just how weak we are in depth and as the injuries and suspensions pile up, we could well pay the price for this.

We have already tried and failed to sign the likes of Larsson, who would have been a replacement for Routledge, so unless Pardew has something else lined up I am at a loss to understand why Routledge is being allowed go go at this point.

When you look at the likes of Villa and now, Liverpool, trying to sign Charlie Adam(a player I rate highly, and who I think would definitely benefit our side), you get some idea why I have little confidence in the people running the club and whether they intend not only to ensure our PL place by competing for decent players who will improve, but also if they will fend off top offers for our saleable assets.

I do not consider Adam over-priced at 5m(which is what it will take - minimum - to shift him from Blackpool

but I will be surprised if we pay anything like that for any player at this time. Villa and Liverpool clearly believe that you have to pay if you want to be sure of staying up ; had all our players been fit and available, I reckon we wouldn't have to add to the squad until summer, but that is a dreamworld.

Let's see how we do against Spurs today......

Guest sicko2ndbest

I think this is a stupid move. We've no longer got cover for right wing, I still think he could have contributed to the team this season.

I'm reserving judgement at the moment in blind hope that we are close to clinching a replacement

His cameo at Wigan as an outlet when we were sitting back is an example if his worth

Dino is indeed correct.  Remember, we're having to move our best attacking CM out right to play on the wing.  If he, or Nolan get injured, you quickly see that sticking Routledge on the wing would be preferable to having a passenger next to Tiote.

ATM, we have Tiote, Ben Arfa and Smith out with Gosling not yet fully bedded in.  If something happened to Barton, we'd be up poo creek!

Dino is indeed correct.  Remember, we're having to move our best attacking CM out right to play on the wing.  If he, or Nolan get injured, you quickly see that sticking Routledge on the wing would be preferable to having a passenger next to Tiote.

ATM, we have Tiote, Ben Arfa and Smith out with Gosling not yet fully bedded in.  If something happened to Barton, we'd be up poo creek!

That's a misrepresentation of the facts - yes, Joey was initially pushed out wide out of necessity but has been such a revelation there that it has proved to be his best position. Indeed, buying a starting right midfielder and moving Joey back inside would be a huge step backwards.

Don't get me wrong, cover is required because muddling through with Guthrie, Gosling and Raylor would also be a folly. But long term Joey should be our first choice wide right man...

Barton definitely plays better at the right than at the centre when Carroll's upfront.  I interpret that as a move to build the team around Carroll.

And by the same logic, Raylor is a better reserve than Routledge as his quality of crosses are miles better.

Barton definitely plays better at the right than at the centre when Carroll's upfront.  I interpret that as a move to build the team around Carroll.

And by the same logic, Raylor is a better reserve than Routledge as his quality of crosses are miles better.

Because playing on the wing is only about crossing ability?

Our one & only true speedster imo. Always thought in the latter part of the games when we were winning & had 2 up front, take 1 forward off put Lil Wayne on as a forward & have him playing off the shoulder of CB & look for flick ons. The emergence of Barton as quality creative midfielder has killed Lil Wayne career @ SJP.

Was coming in to post exactly that. He'd have been perfect in that last 5/10 minutes when the game was stretched.

Our right side was badly exposed once Barton moved inside, I haven't a clue where Perch was playing.

Why could he not have been loaned out tomorrow? We're doing QPR a fucking favour and we lend him the day BEFORE a game when we're short?

Fucking amateurs running the gaff. Then again we knew that anyway. :hmm:

Why could he not have been loaned out tomorrow? We're doing QPR a f***ing favour and we lend him the day BEFORE a game when we're short?

f***ing amateurs running the gaff. Then again we knew that anyway. :hmm:

This is the same club that forgot to register a banned player in Europe until they thought that he had served his ban, only to be told that he was still banned because we hadn't registered him.