Adrian Mutu - sports biggest idiot?

James

Guest firetotheworks

Anti-obesity. To what extent? That doesn't sound bad at all.

It is clearly been done to gain a fitness edge - there is no social esteem benefit a top flight footballer can get from anti-obesity drugs. Coke was idiocy and not cheating (and therefore he should have got off a lot lighter than the likes of Jaap Stam), but this is idiocy and cheating so no longer has any sympathy from me.

It depends to what extent, which is why I asked. I don't see the problem unless he's one on one with someone like Nolan.

An anti-obesity drug will increase the whole energy burning cycle, which will make him fitter during a match

Aye, cheating then.

As a related subject. Imagine bringing in a drug lift in sport, and just letting them become X-Man United ahohoho. But seriously, imagine it.

Don't like the idea of 19 year old sportsmen being made to wake up and walk to the bathroom and back every hour just to stop them dying of a heart attack in their sleep personally.

Fucking hell Brown, lighten up.

It is clearly been done to gain a fitness edge - there is no social esteem benefit a top flight footballer can get from anti-obesity drugs. Coke was idiocy and not cheating (and therefore he should have got off a lot lighter than the likes of Jaap Stam), but this is idiocy and cheating so no longer has any sympathy from me.

It depends to what extent, which is why I asked. I don't see the problem unless he's one on one with someone like Nolan.

An anti-obesity drug will increase the whole energy burning cycle, which will make him fitter during a match

Aye, cheating then.

As a related subject. Imagine bringing in a drug lift in sport, and just letting them become X-Man United ahohoho. But seriously, imagine it.

Don't like the idea of 19 year old sportsmen being made to wake up and walk to the bathroom and back every hour just to stop them dying of a heart attack in their sleep personally.

Alright, you know the most about drugs in sports. Any need for the big head?

Fiorentina striker Adrian Mutu has failed a third drug test, according to the Italian Olympic Committee.

News broke on Thursday that the Romanian forward had tested positive for traces of sibutramine, an anti-obesity drug, after a Serie A clash against Bari on January 10th.

But fresh details from the CONI have revealed Mutu also had the same substance in his system during Viola's Coppa Italia quarter-final win over Lazio ten days later.

Italy's National Anti-doing Tribunal (TNA) have provisionally suspended the 31-year-old following his latest drugs misuse and the ex Juventus and Chelsea front man faces the prospect of a ban up to four years .

Fiorentina insists they had nothing to do with the administration of the banned substance but have stood by the striker with Viola sporting director Pantaleo Corvino telling Sky Italia. "It's a situation that leaves us astonished, but we believe in the player's good faith.

Replay

Lazio president Claudio Lotito has confirmed the Biancocelesti are to request the quarter-final clash to be replayed in light of the recent news but he does not expect to get much joy.

"The match must be annulled," he told Italian press.

"Anyway it appears absolutely improbable that a similar request will be accepted, because it never happened that a game in which a player had been tested positive, has been re-played."

Meanwhile, reports in Romania have speculated that Mutu could have accidently been given the drug by his mother.

She told Telesport: "Maybe he took them out of curiosity as I had boasted about losing weight.

"But in any case, the box says they are a natural product that contains no banned substances."

Mutu first drugs misuse saw him sacked by Chelsea in 2004 after he tested postive for cocaine and the Blues are have since being trying sue the striker for breaching his contract.

Meanwhile, reports in Romania have speculated that Mutu could have accidently been given the drug by his mother.

She told Telesport: "Maybe he took them out of curiosity as I had boasted about losing weight.

"But in any case, the box says they are a natural product that contains no banned substances."

Oh, aye, 'sibutramine' sounds really organic.

Aye, cheating then.

:lol: name me one footballer that needs to do that? Or one footballer that would ever need to be half as fit as a cyclist in the Tour De France? The reason they have to be woken up is because their heart rate is so slow is due to excessive training and fitness regimes leaving their hearts  as huge fists of muscle.

The respiration rate of a cyclist in full training means his heart has to be a million times fitter than a dude (say kevin Nolan) who 'runs' about a pitch for 90 minutes on a weekend. You can't make the comparison.

Aye, cheating then.

:lol: name me one footballer that needs to do that? Or one footballer that would ever need to be half as fit as a cyclist in the Tour De France? The reason they have to be woken up is because their heart rate is so slow is due to excessive training and fitness regimes leaving their hearts  as huge fists of muscle.

The respiration rate of a cyclist in full training means his heart has to be a million times fitter than a dude (say kevin Nolan) who 'runs' about a pitch for 90 minutes on a weekend. You can't make the comparison.

a) he was talking about allowing drugs in sport generally.

b) The bit in bold is completely wrong. The reason is that during EPO use, there are so many red blood cells in the body that when heart rate slows down during sleep, it can actually get blocked. It has very little to do with training regimes and could happen to any sportsmen that got involved with that particular drug.

Also, the fact that cyclists rely more on increased respiratory rates means absolutely nothing, as it doesn't mean that other sportsmen won't benefit from drugs. It is not cyclists competing against footballers. It is cyclists competing against cyclists, footballers competing against footballers, rugby players competing against rugby players and so on.

I used to work for the company who make this drug, so know a bit about it.

It work in the brain and increases the feeling of fullness after a meal - otherwise known as satiety.

This means after a few mouthfuls you feel full, so don't eat any more. It is supposed to help decrease portion sizes.

It's also worth noting that it's been withdrawn from sale due to cardiovascular risks that are associated with it.

Having said that, I'm not sure how this could benefit a footballer, unless they have a specific weight problem. If it's banned though, there must be a reason behind it, I just can't work it out.

• 2 months later...

You must really hate cycling then.

Not really, because you know the cyclists will get caught because their drugs testing is so much better. Some sports like football and tennis are in complete drug denial and will be until some scandal occurs in the future.

Cheating's more prevalent in cycling because it's more beneficial to the athlete.

Drugs benefit anyone. Better fitness equals better technique. And the financial benefits of standing out as a footballer are huge, so you'd expect some to try. Are you aware that the most infamous cycling drug doctor was actually a doctor at a top-flight Spanish football club, and was even offerred a job at Barcelona?

Are you seriously suggesting that a footballer can improve his technique by taking drugs? About as likely as eating nutmeg will help you deftly play the ball through an opposing players legs. If the man in the moon had a hand, the facepalm still wouldn't be big enough.

Well, better stamina helps with your technique not decaying throughout a 90 minute game. Fresher legs, better focus... And modern football is so much athleticism-driven that you just can't deny the advantages of doping.

Thanks, I couldn't have put it any better myself.

Thats not technique, thats fitness.

They demonstrate better technique because they are fitter. If you don't get that then you are stupid.

:lol: So a drug can teach you how to trap a football?

Performance enhancing drugs are called performance enhancing drugs because performance is a combination of fitness, skill, technique and whatever else matters, like technology in motorsport.

They demonstrate better technique because they are fitter. If you don't get that then you are stupid.

Performance enhancing drugs are called performance enhancing drugs because performance is a combination of fitness, skill, technique and whatever else matters, like technology in motorsport.

Have you played football?  After a certain period of time (depending on your fitness) your legs can become almost unusable in any skillful manner.  It's much harder to trap a football if your legs are "knackered" as opposed to being more fit and being able to have that high level of performance for longer periods of time.

Have you played football?  After a certain period of time (depending on your fitness) your legs can become almost unusable in any skillful manner.  It's much harder to trap a football if your legs are "knackered" as opposed to being more fit and being able to have that high level of performance for longer periods of time.

Technique is built in, you are all thinking of performance which is why the drugs are named that way. Do you know what technique is? The idea that a drug can improve your technique only works (just) semantically. The drugs lead to better fitness, which leads to better performance. Technique is inherent in some and then is worked on in training. You can only improve performance with drugs by improving fitness. If you then strike a ball more sweetly because you are buzzing with energy you are just tapping the technique you started the game with. If you want to do the semantic shit with me, be my guest.

I was captain of North Tyneside, scouted by a number of clubs.