Twitter

Thespence

Mentioned many a time on here my loathing for term 'United' as a universal description for Man U. Pisses me off no end when people use it on here in that context, or in general conversation. But to go on the offensive towards Simpson over the internet for using it is mad, especially when he was using it in the context of a Chelsea - Man U game, about the team he supports...

Couple that with some of his other Tweets and posts I can't help but feel the lad has a screw or two loose. Anybody that needs to refer to how many games they've been to in order to justify the value of their opinion and put down other NUFC supporters is, well...

News to me that I'm a Keegan hater and a plastic non-Geordie from the other end of the country, too.

News to me that I'm a Keegan hater and a plastic non-Geordie from the other end of the country, too.

Look up, at the URL of this website. If it says newcastle-online in there, you're a 17 year old from Singapore who despises Keegan Keegan and worships Mike Ashley. You have an acne problem.

Just so you know. :lol:

Look up, at the URL of this website. If it says newcastle-online in there, you're a 17 year old from Singapore who despises Keegan and worships Mike Ashley. You probably have an acne problem.

Just so you know.

Quite surprising to me that each NUFC forum seems to have a different popular opinion and stereotype applied to it. Bizarre. I wasn't even really aware of any other NUFC forums until pretty recently, tbh.

Why is it not on to call Man United 'United'? The reason they're called United and City are called City is because they are two relatively big teams who play in the same city and share the same name, so they need to be distinguished. On the other hand, there is only one team in Newcastle that uses the Newcastle name, one Sunderland team, one Birmingham team (that officially uses the name Birmingham in its name), one team in Aston, one team in Chelsea, one team in Wimbledon etc.

It's not a big deal that Man United are called United. People always refer to us as Newcastle because we're the only team in Newcastle who uses the name Newcastle. Getting pissed off about this is ridiculous. It's the same as a Birmingham City or Leicester City fan getting pissed off about Manchester City being called 'City'. It's just the way the teams are distinguished. Why make it such a big deal? You never hear a commentator saying 'City this city that' when referring to Birmingham because Birmingham are called Birmingham and that is how they're distinguished. It would ridiculous for people to say 'Manchester this manchester that' because we'd have no clue which team in Manchester they're on about, so that's the reason why Man City are called City and Man Utd are called United. It really isn't because there is a massive conspiracy by Sky to promote the top 4 teams or because both these teams are now one of the biggest teams in the country. People have called Manchester City 'City' for years, even when they weren't in the top division. No one is saying either Manchester team owns the 'United' or 'City' name, but it's just the easiest way for everyone to distinguish football teams in everyday conversation.

Guest Gemmill

Zzzzz.

If anyone wants to argue with Stevie I suggest they use Toontastic to do so rather than going on about it on here. Cheers.

Haven't been on there in ages but that just tempted me to have a look. Seeing Leazesmag's mind-numbing essays on the virtues of Freddie Shepherd just confirmed I wasn't really missing anything.

Believe me, we are as bored of them as you are.

Guest icemanblue

Why is it not on to call Man United 'United'? The reason they're called United and City are called City is because they are two relatively big teams who play in the same city and share the same name, so they need to be distinguished. On the other hand, there is only one team in Newcastle that uses the Newcastle name, one Sunderland team, one Birmingham team (that officially uses the name Birmingham in its name), one team in Aston, one team in Chelsea, one team in Wimbledon etc.

It's not a big deal that Man United are called United. People always refer to us as Newcastle because we're the only team in Newcastle who uses the name Newcastle. Getting pissed off about this is ridiculous. It's the same as a Birmingham City or Leicester City fan getting pissed off about Manchester City being called 'City'. It's just the way the teams are distinguished. Why make it such a big deal? You never hear a commentator saying 'City this city that' when referring to Birmingham because Birmingham are called Birmingham and that is how they're distinguished. It would ridiculous for people to say 'Manchester this manchester that' because we'd have no clue which team in Manchester they're on about, so that's the reason why Man City are called City and Man Utd are called United. It really isn't because there is a massive conspiracy by Sky to promote the top 4 teams or because both these teams are now one of the biggest teams in the country. People have called Manchester City 'City' for years, even when they weren't in the top division. No one is saying either Manchester team owns the 'United' or 'City' name, but it's just the easiest way for everyone to distinguish football teams in everyday conversation.

He isn't saying it's 'not on' for anyone to call Man U, United. He's saying it's not on for Newcastle supporters/players to call them that, consider many of us call Newcastle, United. He's went way over the top about it, but I agree with a lot of what he says.

There's a like an NUFC internet cross-forum cult that seems to go back nearly a decade, with lots of names I know nothing about, and past stories I wasn't around to see unfold.

Gets pretty confusing at times.

He isn't saying it's 'not on' for anyone to call Man U, United. He's saying it's not on for Newcastle supporters/players to call them that, consider many of us call Newcastle, United. He's went way over the top about it, but I agree with a lot of what he says.

I agree with the general premise of NUFC supporters using United to describe Man U. It's irritating as fuck and only happens because Sky has helped to perpetuate its usage. However it's that lads general attitude I don't understand, and I can never fathom how people can just start hurtling abuse towards celebrities on Twitter.

Guest icemanblue

I agree with the general premise of NUFC supporters using United to describe Man U. It's irritating as fuck and only happens because Sky has helped to perpetuate its usage. However it's that lads general attitude I don't understand, and I can never fathom how people can just start hurtling abuse towards celebrities on Twitter.

Yeah, I agree with all that. Bit daft to take it so far.

As mentioned before, Stevie is on Toontastic. Please go there if you want to talk to or about him.

Fair dos.

I don't know the guy so probably a bit unfair to to have a go at him personally based on what he does on t'internet, but to me it seems a bit over the top. Meh, would rather not find myself arguing with other NUFC fans.

How many of us actually call Newcastle United 'United', though? Maybe it's just because this forum is full of 17 year old Singaporeans, but I don't think I've come across someone calling us 'United' in a long, long time. I know it's part of our name and it's in our songs, but there are many, many more names that I've heard used to call us. I've been to a few matches and I haven't actually heard people referencing us as 'United' in conversation as well. It's always 'the toon' or something or the other, but United's not even close to being the name most used.

Guest icemanblue

How many of us actually call Newcastle United 'United', though? Maybe it's just because this forum is full of 17 year old Singaporeans, but I don't think I've come across someone calling us 'United' in a long, long time. I know it's part of our name and it's in our songs, but there are many, many more names that I've heard used to call us. I've been to a few matches and I haven't actually heard people referencing us as 'United' in conversation as well. It's always 'the toon' or something or the other, but United's not even close to being the name most used.

Urgh. I'm not going to argue this. It has, is, and will always be used by many people round here when talking about Newcastle.

Everybody of an older generation I know often refer to NUFC as 'United'. Infact, it was all my Grandad ever called us.

I'd say it's definitely a recent thing that it's became synonymous with MUFC above others.

Funny you say that as Kev and I had a similar conversation when coming up with the name 'United For Newcastle'.

Everybody of an older generation I know often refer to NUFC as 'United'. Infact, it was all my Grandad ever called us.

I'd say it's definitely a recent thing that it's became synonymous with MUFC above others.

But when a lad from Salford who's supported Man Utd all his life refers to them as 'United' on a night Newcastle aren't even playing isn't a big deal.

Different story if he was a local lad or we were playing them and he said Newcastle v United like, but it's just some sad prick with inferiority complex trying to look like NUFC #1 FAN.  The fact he refers to himself as a pre sky Newcastle fan shows what an embarrassment he is.

But when a lad from Salford who's supported Man Utd all his life refers to them as 'United' on a night Newcastle aren't even playing isn't a big deal.

Yeah I agree, that's why I wouldn't let it in that context bother me where it normally would.

Yeah I agree, that's why I wouldn't let it in that context bother me where it normally would.

:thup: