Wasted Talent

Guest firetotheworks

Klaas Jan Huntelaar.

Don't see how he's wasted his talent, strikers who score loads in the dutch league are usually overrated and its always been clear he has limited all-round game.

I wouldn't say that 8 in 20 for Real and a couple in 18 games for AC shows that he can't score in other leagues.

I wouldn't say Le Tissier was a wasted talent. He had fantastic skill on the ball and could produce some wonderful moments, but he was not much of an athlete and that was always going to hold him back. I don't think a move to a bigger club would have changed anything.

That achievement of something like 42 successful penalties out of 43 is absolutely outstanding.

Being an athlete isn't a talent though, anyone can achieve physical fitness through hard work.

As Ronaldo says, he just couldn't be arsed.

Well some have more athletic potential than others. Otherwise we'd all be Olympic medallists. With Le Tissier's chunky physique, he was never going to be a flying machine.

I do think that sometimes skilful players like Le Tissier and Hoddle get accused of laziness or a lack of stomach for the fight, when in fact they're just not as strong or mobile as other players. Those two were always described by the press as 'enigmas' as though the fact that they could do a difficult thing like curl a free kick meant that they ought to be able to do something simple like run or tackle.

robbie fowler (to an extent)

patrick kluivert

gazza

daniel cadamarteri

Cadamarteri was never that great really. He should have stuck around in the Premiership a bit longer but that's about it.

Jeffers on the other hand could have been a big star. His intelligence and movement was superb when he first broke through.

Another Everton one is Billy Kenny. Could have been the forerunner to Steven Gerrard. Cokehead who is still only in his 30's and plays Sunday league. Ended up stealing from the dressing room at Oldham. I found this from the Guardian on Google, good little write up apart from the daft last sentence:

1) Billy Kenny (Everton, Oldham)

When Kenny, aged 19, was the man of the match in the Premiership's first Merseyside derby, his team-mate Peter Beardsley excitably christened him the "Goodison Gazza". If only he knew. The comparison was not gratuitous: Kenny was a midfielder blessed with sublime skill, especially in his passing, and perhaps more importantly a striking fearlessness (when Vinny Jones greeted him with a trademark early reducer, Kenny took the medicine uncomplainingly and then gave Jones a taste of it a few minutes later). But sadly the comparison to Gazza was equally relevant off the pitch: Kenny self-destructed, only much sooner. He chose not to choose life; he chose something else.

Unable to handle his newfound celebrity, he began to cross the white line on and off the pitch. "Some mornings I got home at four or five, had a couple of lines of cocaine, slept for an hour and then went to training," he said. "Sometimes I could hardly see the ball. I was a joke." He was sacked first by Everton and then by Oldham; he played his last league game at 22. But even though he only played 17 times for Everton, he still makes some fans' all-time XI.

Guest pont-toon

havent read the whole thread but has anyone mentioned Shaun Murray?

he was England schoolboys captain back in the mid 80s and was pure quality. Went to spurs for the filthy lucre and ended up shot to bits. I played against him when he played for Westerhope boys and he scored double figures - literally ran rings around us.

best player i played against by far and  that includes Alan Shearer when he played for crammy juniors

Guest jonlane86

i'm wondering if anyone mentioned a certain...............Steve Harper?

Should have left us in 2001ish to go to get a regular start at Birmingham and I have no doubt he'd be England's number 1 now had he done it.

I wouldn't say Le Tissier was a wasted talent. He had fantastic skill on the ball and could produce some wonderful moments, but he was not much of an athlete and that was always going to hold him back. I don't think a move to a bigger club would have changed anything.

That achievement of something like 42 successful penalties out of 43 is absolutely outstanding.

Being an athlete isn't a talent though, anyone can achieve physical fitness through hard work.

That's nonsense. Genetics plays a massive part. Some folks just have much more potential for muscle and speed than others. Sure someone like Viduka was lazy, but regardless of how hard he worked there was no way he would ever be as fit as someone like Martins.

That's nonsense. Genetics plays a massive part. Some folks just have much more potential for muscle and speed than others. Sure someone like Viduka was lazy, but regardless of how hard he worked there was no way he would ever be as fit as someone like Martins.

genetics plays a massive part....does that work in regard to nobel laureates ?

Funny how we speak in past tense of a player that's still 27. He's an outcast at Valencia, though (I think he's on loan now).

Last I heard hes at Sporting Braga. Imo he just arrived at SJP at a bad time- we had a lethal midfield back then

I reckon Viana would have been perfectly suited to Serie A tbh......with the slower pace of the game there and having more time on the ball. Plus more teams over there play formations suited to Viana`s play.

Here are some of the players I can think of that are specifically related to NUFC. Some of you may be too young to remember:

Hugo Viana

Paul Gascoigne

Irving Nattrass (best RB in England)

Silvio Maric (like Viana, superb skills but not suited to the pace of the english game)

Tony Green (What an absolute waste through injury, second best player I have ever seen)

Alan Suddick (naturally gifted footballer who was controversial and made the wrong move in jOINING bLACKPOOL)

Frank Clark (fans hated him at NUFC but went on to win european cup medals at Forest)

Pop Robson (best uncapped forward in the UK at the time)

John Tudor (what a workhorse and never given the credit he deserved as a foil for Supermac)

Jinky Jimmy Smith (great talent but only when he felt like it)

oohh and not forgetting Keith Kettleborough

patrick kluivert

gazza

daniel cadamarteri

Cadamarteri was never that great really. He should have stuck around in the Premiership a bit longer but that's about it.

Jeffers on the other hand could have been a big star. His intelligence and movement was superb when he first broke through.

Another Everton one is Billy Kenny. Could have been the forerunner to Steven Gerrard. Cokehead who is still only in his 30's and plays Sunday league. Ended up stealing from the dressing room at Oldham. I found this from the Guardian on Google, good little write up apart from the daft last sentence:

When Kenny, aged 19, was the man of the match in the Premiership's first Merseyside derby, his team-mate Peter Beardsley excitably christened him the "Goodison Gazza". If only he knew. The comparison was not gratuitous: Kenny was a midfielder blessed with sublime skill, especially in his passing, and perhaps more importantly a striking fearlessness (when Vinny Jones greeted him with a trademark early reducer, Kenny took the medicine uncomplainingly and then gave Jones a taste of it a few minutes later). But sadly the comparison to Gazza was equally relevant off the pitch: Kenny self-destructed, only much sooner. He chose not to choose life; he chose something else.

Unable to handle his newfound celebrity, he began to cross the white line on and off the pitch. "Some mornings I got home at four or five, had a couple of lines of cocaine, slept for an hour and then went to training," he said. "Sometimes I could hardly see the ball. I was a joke." He was sacked first by Everton and then by Oldham; he played his last league game at 22. But even though he only played 17 times for Everton, he still makes some fans' all-time XI.

And another one of the dogs of war,Joe Parkinson,whose career was cut short by injury,always felt he was a very good player.

Jay Jay Okacha.  Got a big money move to PSG but not alot came of it, thought he was a great player as proved at Bolton when he was there imo.

Brad Friedel.

Okocha is just about the most ridiculously skillful player I've ever seen. Some of the stuff he could do with a football were incredible, often unneccesary, but still incredible.

Beyond the tricks there wasn't enough of the important stuff to make him a great player though.

Haven't read all 9 pages so I apologise if he has already been mentioned. Watching the football league show and Dean Bowditch has finally signed a permanent contract at yeovil after numerous loans. He was massively highly rated as a youngster touted as one of the top 5 English youngsters at one point, not quite worked out for him for whatever reason.

patrick kluivert

gazza

daniel cadamarteri

And another one of the dogs of war,Joe Parkinson,whose career was cut short by injury,always felt he was a very good player.

Yeah, Joe Parkinson was class. His performance up against Paul Ince in the 95 cup final was great.

• 11 months later...

Jay Jay Okacha.  Got a big money move to PSG but not alot came of it, thought he was a great player as proved at Bolton when he was there imo.

Brad Friedel.

Okocha is just about the most ridiculously skillful player I've ever seen. Some of the stuff he could do with a football were incredible, often unneccesary, but still incredible.

Beyond the tricks there wasn't enough of the important stuff to make him a great player though.

Lazy, unmotivated genius. I sometimes wonder if he was truly Nigerian. Everything about him is Brazilian.