Newcastle United v Coventry - Wednesday 17th Feb, 7.45pm

Guest toonlass

Harper

Simpson - Williamson - Hall - Van Aanholt

Coloccini - Smith

Routledge                                                       Gutierrez

Ranger  -  Lovenkrands

Funny, I was just saying on Saturday that I generally think Colo would cope better in midfield than any of Nolan, Butt or Smith.

Obviously it's never gonna happen because it's vital we have him at CB.

I've thought it all season. He is the best passer of the ball in our team, without a doubt. When Taylor is back and playing alongside Williamson, I'd love to see what Colo could do at DM. He has played at DM a considerable amount of times for Depor, Milan saw him as the long-term replacement for Costacurta (a DM).

Sure, it's a sign of desperate times that I'm suggesting we use our best defender this season as a playmaker, but I think an effective passer of the ball is exactly what we need in the centre of the park, whilst still providing defensive cover.

Barton and R.Taylor are better passer of the ball imo. But even if Coloccini is the best like you said, Hughton won't play him as a DM as he thinks (and he's right there imo) that he's needed in the defence.

Harper

Coloccini - Smith

Ranger  -  Lovenkrands

Funny, I was just saying on Saturday that I generally think Colo would cope better in midfield than any of Nolan, Butt or Smith.

I've thought it all season. He is the best passer of the ball in our team, without a doubt. When Taylor is back and playing alongside Williamson, I'd love to see what Colo could do at DM. He has played at DM a considerable amount of times for Depor, Milan saw him as the long-term replacement for Costacurta (a DM).

Sure, it's a sign of desperate times that I'm suggesting we use our best defender this season as a playmaker, but I think an effective passer of the ball is exactly what we need in the centre of the park, whilst still providing defensive cover.

Barton and R.Taylor are better passer of the ball imo. But even if Coloccini is the best like you said, Hughton won't play him as a DM as he thinks (and he's right there imo) that he's needed in the defence.

Even if Williamson can do as good as if not a better job than him? Barton is always going to be plagued by injuries, Taylor isn't big enough to play there imo.

Harper

Coloccini - Smith

Ranger  -  Lovenkrands

Even if Williamson can do as good as if not a better job than him?

If Taylor get fit again, ok. But I won't like to see a defence of Hall and Williamson there tbh. I know Hall did well so far, but still I'm not too convinced about him.

Guest jeffers09

Went to the away game

We were preety much crap as usual but these lot looked fucking shocking

theyve picked up abit since then tho  Best will probably get dogs abuse

Simpson           Williamson

Butt             Harper               Krul              Hughton

Carroll          Jonas             Routledge       Smith

Shola

Shola

Ballsy. It might just work.

Shola

other than nicky butt on the left id play this team

___________Lovenkrands_____Carroll______________

_____________________Best_____________________

____________Jonas____Smith____Routledge_________

Van Arnalt_____Williamson____Collocini________Simpson

We have too many rigid players so we should come up with something more flexable. Best could ghost into the box unmarked, obviously adventurous but Jonas & Routledge cant do any worse than Nolan & Guthrie more central, and they can pull out wide when we have the ball. Take the bull by the horns, give them something to worry about, when they arrive at SJP we should want them to see the team sheet and be thinking "shit, what do we do here, who's going to pick him up?".

I like that, perhaps with Guthrie instead of Smith though.

___________Lovenkrands_____Carroll______________

_____________________Best_____________________

____________Jonas____Smith____Routledge_________

Van Arnalt_____Williamson____Collocini________Simpson

We have too many rigid players so we should come up with something more flexable. Best could ghost into the box unmarked, obviously adventurous but Jonas & Routledge cant do any worse than Nolan & Guthrie more central, and they can pull out wide when we have the ball. Take the bull by the horns, give them something to worry about, when they arrive at SJP we should want them to see the team sheet and be thinking "s***, what do we do here, who's going to pick him up?".

I like that, perhaps with Guthrie instead of Smith though.

It's basically that Keegan formation which was great. But I would like to see Routledge in Best's position because of his pace and ability and therefore Guthrie in on the Routledge position. And I would switch Smith with Barton as soon as Barton is 100% fit.

Harper

Coloccini - Smith

Ranger  -  Lovenkrands

When was Costacurta a defensive midfielder may I ask? For an extended period of games I mean.

Guest michaelfoster

good old Shola, always injured

You put your left foot in, left foot out

in, out, in out & shake it all about

you do the Shola Ameobi and you hurt yourself

now he's back on the shelf

Wooooooooooooah, Shola Ameobi

knees bent, arms streched, rar, rar, rar

Harper

Coloccini - Smith

Ranger  -  Lovenkrands

When was Costacurta a defensive midfielder may I ask? For an extended period of games I mean.

I'm pretty sure every time I saw him he was in defence.

Harper

Coloccini - Smith

Ranger  -  Lovenkrands

I'm pretty sure every time I saw him he was in defence.

I know he played there on the very rare occasion but I'd say at least 99% of his games were in defence. Class defender in his time.

I am smelling fanboy bullshit oozing out of every word here. Did he really play a stack of games in midfield in in La Liga? Did Milan really see as DM?

Being a decent passer in around you own 18 yard box is one thing, doing it in the madhouse of centre midfield is another.