Play-offs for fourth Premier League CL place?

OzzieMandias

"Oh no! Liverpool might not finish fourth? What can we do? :frantic: :frantic:"

Is what it reads to me.

This.

Not a chance of it happening this season so I don't see how this can be the case.

This season shows the "big four" might be falling out of the CL spots, which would be a big issue for the money makers, hence the idea of giving whichever drops out of the four top spots in the future yet another chance so money won't be lost. It won't apply this season, but I'd bet they're regretting not coming up with this before.

You think the Premier League want it to be the same top 4 every year? They want to mix it up a bit and make the league more entertaining, it's no surprise Liverpool and the other so called big 4 are the only teams against it.

tbh I think the world is cynical enough for that, including the Premier League, the "top four" are the main pull outside of England and if one or two of them started to trail it would make the gloryhunters jump ship and perhaps focus on other league, or not follow football at all, meaning a lot of money would be lost selling television rights to other countries and so on and so on.

Whichever one of them started to lag behind would be replaced and they would get the glory hunters, that's how it works, Chelsea weren't a massive draw until Abramovich made them a permenant member of the top four.

the team that finishes 7th would embarrass themselves in the CL, imo. Which won't help England's spot allocation for that competition in the future.

Rubbish idea. The team that finishes 4th should get it. End of.

Maybe, maybe not. It's better than seeing the same 4 teams in it year in, year out though. It's like a fucking cartel at the minute. Anything that shakes things up a bit is fine with me.

the team that finishes 7th would embarrass themselves in the CL, imo. Which won't help England's spot allocation for that competition in the future.

Maybe, maybe not. It's better than seeing the same 4 teams in it year in, year out though. It's like a f***ing cartel at the minute. Anything that shakes things up a bit is fine with me.

At least in this country we have four teams that sometimes mix there positions up. The nations with 1 club that enters there leagues tend to be fucked for years once the loot of CL money has arrived.

Guest optimistic nit

how about 1st and 2nd get CL, the winners of the FA cup get CL, there is a playoff between 3rd and 6th for the final place and the league cup gets abolished. less fixtures for the teams, more excitement in the cup and a more competive league, everyone wins :razz:

League Cup winners don't deserve a CL place like. I could just about be persuaded to give the FA Cup winners a place but not the League Cup winners. It's a nothing competition imo. 

clubs would take it serious though if there was a CL place.

Not sure about that tbh. We'll never know though because it won't happen.

this seems more an attempt to save the "big 4" in the future as shitty villa and spuds all getting stronger while man u liverpool get weaker and weaker over time with debts biting and consequent squads getting weaker. Give the 4th place cl spot to the fa cup winner and make it valuable again

Maybe, maybe not. It's better than seeing the same 4 teams in it year in, year out though. It's like a f***ing cartel at the minute. Anything that shakes things up a bit is fine with me.

At least in this country we have four teams that sometimes mix there positions up. The nations with 1 club that enters there leagues tend to be fucked for years once the loot of CL money has arrived.

This is true but we're talking about the Premier League though. Giving 7 teams a chance of qualifying is better than giving 4 teams a chance. Spread the wealth man.

At least in this country we have four teams that sometimes mix there positions up. The nations with 1 club that enters there leagues tend to be f***ed for years once the loot of CL money has arrived.

This is true but we're talking about the Premier League though. Giving 7 teams a chance of qualifying is better than giving 4 teams a chance. Spread the wealth man.

20 clubs have the chance atm.

At least in this country we have four teams that sometimes mix there positions up. The nations with 1 club that enters there leagues tend to be f***ed for years once the loot of CL money has arrived.

20 clubs have the chance atm.

You know what I mean. :lol:

It's a great idea, but how many more club will be taken over in the aim of earning 7th place and winning CL qualification via the play off's?

No Wembley final, maybe this will be the Premiership match that is played abroad instead of the 39th game?

Is what it reads to me.

This.

Not a chance of it happening this season so I don't see how this can be the case.

This season shows the "big four" might be falling out of the CL spots, which would be a big issue for the money makers, hence the idea of giving whichever drops out of the four top spots in the future yet another chance so money won't be lost.

Exactly what I thought when I read it.

I really want to like the idea and the intentions are good, but I don't think this is the best solution (despite the excitement). Last season Fulham finished 7th and I wouldn't want them representing us in the CL (if they could fluke past 4th, 5th and 6th). I'm not against something fairly radical being introduced though, I think its essential to the evolution of the PL that we stop the monotony and the great gulfs that are forming. Just maybe not this idea.

Is what it reads to me.

It smacks of that to me as well but when you look at it on the other hand, it really does seem like it could possibly be good competition for teams in the top half.

Not sure what to think of it overall.

I really want to like the idea and the intentions are good, but I don't think this is the best solution (despite the excitement). Last season Fulham finished 7th and I wouldn't want them representing us in the CL (if they could fluke past 4th, 5th and 6th). I'm not against something fairly radical being introduced though, I think its essential to the evolution of the PL that we stop the monotony and the great gulfs that are forming. Just maybe not this idea.

What if the 7th place club qualified and knew they were guaranteed £40m for qualifying and spent the lot investing to make themselves competitive? 

What if the 7th place club qualified and knew they were guaranteed £40m for qualifying and spent the lot investing to make themselves competitive?   

If they didn't qualify for the next few seasons then they'll have a wagebill that they can't maintain.

If they didn't qualify for the next few seasons then they'll have a wagebill that they can't maintain.

Depends on their wage structure though. If they had to move a player or two on then they wouldn't even feel the hit.

Spread the wealth. At the minute the rich are getting richer and opening it up a bit has to be a good thing. :)