Play-offs for fourth Premier League CL place?

OzzieMandias

No Wembley final, maybe this will be the Premiership match that is played abroad instead of the 39th game?

NO.

you know thats what scuadmore is thinking, put the play off games in usa china etc and the final in some other god forsaken country, the cash signs are in scudamores eyes

Football clubs have to realise something, they cant keep on making more money to give to players...the ceiling has been reached.

If this daft 39th game came off and was bringing in money how long would it be before daft clubs use all of that revenue and then try to come up with ideas on how to make even more money to pay for how much they have stretched themselves.

Fucking ridiculous but then the Champions Money League has long since given up considering itself a sporting contest to decide who's the best in Europe. If you're not the best in your own league you shouldn't be in it, never mind 7th best.

i'd rather see liverpool or arsenal in it than some shitty team from lithuania.

So what? It's supposed to be a competition to crown the best of the best in Europe not an entertainment show for telly clappers. I'd rather see the winner have some crediibility because nobody can say they were better than them.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

CL is bad enough having the 4 placers in it never mind potentially having 7th in.

Totally agree, it'll make the CL a total farce if they keep letting 'weaker' and 'weaker' teams into the mix. Should be the Champions from each League, and at a stretch the Runner ups, but then where's the money in that. More spots for the 'wealthier' leagues!

When i first saw this on the main forum page index as the most recently posted in thread, I thought for a split second that Pompey had now gone bust and top 3 in CHP go up automatically with play-offs for fourth onwards :(

This idea is horrendous and a disgrace to football. The season has to mean something. A legitimate fight week in and week out will always be more exciting and interesting than some contrived playoff. We have cup football for that. Take this season for example. What are the likes of Aston Villa, Man City, and Tottenham fighting for? They aren't likely to fall out of 7th place and probaly can't catch 3rd. If there's one thing we don't need more of it is meaningless fixtures. Clubs earn their position on the pitch.

Even though this would be beneficial to Everton I wouldn't like to see it happen.

I'm not sure that being thrust into the CL with an inferior set of players is necessarily beneficial.

Lets just have the same four teams every year then. Nobody else even try.

And forget the extra 20m quid or whatever it is, that's not beneficial at all really.

Even though this would be beneficial to Everton I wouldn't like to see it happen.

I'm not sure that being thrust into the CL with an inferior set of players is necessarily beneficial.

And forget the extra 20m quid or whatever it is, that's not beneficial at all really.

I'm not sympathetic. If you want CL football football finish fourth or above in the league. If there is too much monotony, than introduce some revenue-sharing. Do not interfere with the sancity of the league. I don't think it would be beneficial for someone like Birimingham to finish 7th win the playoff and be in the CL. It would be interesting to see them sign more expensive players based on the expectation of new income, only to be knocked out in qualification becuase their low coefficient resulted in a bad draw.

Once you take into account additional sponsorship, corporate tickets/events & merchandising, etc. the figure is probably closer to £40m-£50m.

The Champion's League has already created a massive distortion to the Premiership, adding even more benefits no one except the TV companies.  Football would be far better off returning to the old Champion's Cup, UEFA Cup & Cup Winners Cup competitions.

I know this is for the Premier League but can't say I like the idea of play-offs for anything. For example, I'd be gutted if we finished third this season and lost in the play-offs to the team that finished 6th. I don't see why it isn't just the top 3 that go up. Why did they come up with the idea of the play-offs in the first place?

I know this is for the Premier League but can't say I like the idea of play-offs for anything. For example, I'd be gutted if we finished third this season and lost in the play-offs to the team that finished 6th. I don't see why it isn't just the top 3 that go up. Why did they come up with the idea of the play-offs in the first place?

£

£

Hardly, the playoffs have been around long before money was so prevalent in the game.

Real reason is to preserve interest in the league for a longer period of time - withthe playoffs most teams in the top 10 have something to play for right up until then end of the season.

Why was the Cup Winner's Cup scrapped? Fixture pile-up?

Don't think so, since participants in it didn't play any other continental competition. I think what happened is that with the expansion of the CL,  top clubs wouldn't play in it anymore (Barcelona, ManU, Arsenal... all won it in the 1990s) so it wasn't worth keeping around and just sort of merged it with the UEFA Cup (as cup winners got a spot to that competition instead).

I personally loved that competition, since it was very hard to qualify for it (strong clubs didn't ignore the cup as much as they do nowadays), you faced great sides during the run, and take great pride in us being record holders (one of the reasons Sir Bob's triumph in 1997 is one of my favorite trophy wins of my lifetime). Really, to me it was the second greatest trophy an European side could win.

Agree with most on here and tbh it stinks and totally unfair to teams who finish well clear of teams below them and loose out in one off games ,ffs its a whole season wasted and that goes for the league play offs too and if you finish third get promoted instead of sixth place.

What next relegation play off places  :tickedoff:

Agree with most on here and tbh it stinks and totally unfair to teams who finish well clear of teams below them and loose out in one off games ,ffs its a whole season wasted and that goes for the league play offs too and if you finish third get promoted instead of sixth place.

What next relegation play off places  :tickedoff:

They have them in Holland I believe, not sure what the fans think about it  :undecided: