Our central defence

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Williamson has looked a very solid player, with good composure and a good ability to read the game and aerially. I'd like to see Taylor at right back and Colo and Williamson in the middle, but we haven't seen it, so I've gone for Taylor & Colo. Would like to see the one above tried out though.

Guest jonlane86

Williamson and Taylor

Would want Simpson RB and Enrique LB

I wouldn't be hugely surprised to see us bid for Habib Beye in the summer as he's barely played for Villa this year, especially if we could offload Ryan Taylor for a couple of million......

Guest Nile Rangers Dreads

He's very calm defender Williamson, also tall and strong.  Would prefer Taylor, he adds more goal threat from set pieces.

Could be the main factor.

They're both vocal and command the back line but I can't see colo being dropped. Williamson could be a good back up, though I would like to see him in more games eg Forrest before making a choice.

Taylor hasn't looked a goal threat at all this season tbh.

I was thinking that and i actually think Williamson has looked threatening.

Matter of time before Williamson gets his first.

I pressed Taylor and Coloccini, but on second thoughts, I would maybe play Taylor and Williamson, with Coloccini as a Defensive Midfielder.

Again, same as Taylor at RB, we have no idea whether Coloccini's as DM is waste of time - after a few games we may find he is very poor at it.  We also have Guthrie, Barton, Smith and Butt all wanting to play there.

I pressed Taylor and Coloccini, but on second thoughts, I would maybe play Taylor and Williamson, with Coloccini as a Defensive Midfielder.

Again, same as Taylor at RB, we have no idea whether Coloccini's as DM is waste of time - after a few games we may find he is very poor at it.  We also have Guthrie, Barton, Smith and Butt all wanting to play there.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but, Steven Taylor captained England Under 21's at Right Back and Coloccini has played Defensive Midfield at both club and international level.

Smith is slow, can tackle but doesn't necessarily read the game well or play make, or get goals. Guthrie is slow, can't really tackle but distributes the ball well and can score, and is probably the best play maker out of those mentioned. Butt is just fucked. Barton is injury prone, arrest prone, and disruptive to start with, then he can't tackle or read the game, yeah he can score goals and play make, but I have serious doubts over his fitness levels because of the points mentioned before. Which leaves you with Nolan who is primarily the attacking central midfielder, but he cannot do box to box, he can play make, score and tackle, can't read the game though and talks a good game.

I would say that Coloccini is slow, but he can read the game well meaning his pace isn't an issue providing you have pacey players around him. He can play make and distribute the ball well, he probably hasn't got the goal getting ability, but I could be wrong and his tackling is good enough.

All in all tackling, reading the game and distributing the ball well are probably the three key skills as a defensive midfielder. Makelele had similar qualities and he was marvellous for Chelsea. Essien is another example.

S.Taylor    Williamson    Coloccini    Jose

This. Still need a little bit more depth imo. Taylor can play acrosss the back four if need be, but we still need more cover in every defensive position.

Also I'd be tempted at having another look at Oguchi Onyewu next season if we go up, as I reckon he'd be good foil for Colo.

WHAT?

The guy was worse than Bramble for us.

That's not even an insult :lol:

I'm worried about Colo next season, has been exceptional this season, but that doesn't cover up the fact that he was shocking last year.

Depends on what you were looking at. I didn't think he was shocking although he got plenty of flak. Similarly Laurent Robert used to get loads of criticism by TV pundits but that doesn't necessarily mean they were right.

Colo had some good moments last season, but he was caught out quite a bit.  People forget it was his first season in the Premiership, he wasn't going to be used to the pace and the chasing down so quickly.  I think after two years in the English game, all be it that one of those years was in the 2nd tier, that he will be reliable for us next season.

I wouldn't be to upset if Colo left though, we could do with saving ourselves his wages.  I'd demand that we get someone in with cheaper wages who could handle the Prem though.  Hoping Williamson can step up fine.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but, Steven Taylor captained England Under 21's at Right Back and Coloccini has played Defensive Midfield at both club and international level.

Smith is slow, can tackle but doesn't necessarily read the game well or play make, or get goals. Guthrie is slow, can't really tackle but distributes the ball well and can score, and is probably the best play maker out of those mentioned. Butt is just fucked. Barton is injury prone, arrest prone, and disruptive to start with, then he can't tackle or read the game, yeah he can score goals and play make, but I have serious doubts over his fitness levels because of the points mentioned before. Which leaves you with Nolan who is primarily the attacking central midfielder, but he cannot do box to box, he can play make, score and tackle, can't read the game though and talks a good game.

I would say that Coloccini is slow, but he can read the game well meaning his pace isn't an issue providing you have pacey players around him. He can play make and distribute the ball well, he probably hasn't got the goal getting ability, but I could be wrong and his tackling is good enough.

All in all tackling, reading the game and distributing the ball well are probably the three key skills as a defensive midfielder. Makelele had similar qualities and he was marvellous for Chelsea. Essien is another example.

Makelele and Essien are world beaters, can't really compare them to anything when it comes to our players.  As for Taylor, yes at youth level he was playing right back (but did he all the time though?) but let's face it, he ISa centre back now and sticking him on the right side of defence is going to hinder his development at centre back a little. There is no harm in trying, I admit, but I'd prefer him to be cover for right back than our first choice right back. We should be looking for a long term right back.  Taylor isn't really known for his crossing or dribbling (although he has done some decent runs forward before from that position) so I'd prefer getting a natural right back in who is better armed at going forward and supporting the attack.

As for Coloccini, he is primarily a centre back now.  He is comfortable on the ball so yes probably could do a job as DM, however he has been our best centre back at times this season.  Why force one of our natural playing DM's to sit on the bench and weaken our defence by putting Colo in as DM? .  Playing in Spain as DM is a bit different from playing DM over here, mainly due to the physical side being harsher than Spain and because you don't get as much time on the ball.  Colo has struggled at times because he likes time on the ball and he will get less of it playing more in the centre.

Square pegs in round holes isn't the best way forward.

We all know he's not particularly quick and he isn't the strongest either. It's about finding a way to adapt your game to the demands of english football. Plenty have done it, very few did it in their first season behind a woeful, woeful midfield.

Don't think there's much wrong with his pace tbh. I remember at Villa Park last game of the season a few times he went stride for stride with Agbonlahor.

Guest JamesyJazz

Colo had a decent start when he first came here imo,but his confidence was knocked by a combination of a pisspoor midfield and a section of our support getting on his back.He's not the finished article though,but he can actually do one thing that our midfielders can't do and that is pass a simple ball forwards!

Give our defence a more robust and mobile midfield in front of them and we'll be ok.

Now that we have adequate cover in the CB position we may see S Taylor fine tune and raise his game due to the increased competition.

What worries me is that one of the top clubs with European football to offer will come along in the summer and put in the type of offer for the duo that financially we would find difficult to knock back.

We all know he's not particularly quick and he isn't the strongest either. It's about finding a way to adapt your game to the demands of english football. Plenty have done it, very few did it in their first season behind a woeful, woeful midfield.

Don't think there's much wrong with his pace tbh. I remember at Villa Park last game of the season a few times he went stride for stride with Agbonlahor.

He's not the quickest, but I wouldn't call him slow either.

He's not the quickest, but I wouldn't call him slow either.

plenty slower than him richard dunne for example is as slow as any cbs in the prem but one of the best too

Colo has played right back (and right of a 3 man defence) a canny bit for Argentina too (especially when Zanetti was out of favour).