Realistic Transfer Targets Summer 2010

Thespence

Wouldn't bother with Mendy. I dont think he's better than anything we've got, I suspect he could be on high wages too. He's obviously a player with the ability, very very quick, he can beat him man too. He just doesn't do it on a consistent basis.

At Hull? I know Bullard is supposed to be on stupid wages but I can't imagine many of their players would have been?  :undecided:

I dont know like, they're supposed to have a 40M wagw bill and Mendy coming from PSG and being released now could suggest he's one of the higher earners. Regardless though, I still dont think he's worth taking on tbh.

I think we should go for Boyd and Beckford while offloading Best and ameobi if anyone will have them, then stick in a cash bid for Maynard.

It probably wouldn't be everyone's ideal set-up but I feel there's goals in that lot. 4 relatively young British strikers battling it out for positions while being no stand out favourite could be very healthy competition. Whatever we do we need to be looking at the free market, there's plenty of talent out there and we could take 5-6 names and create an impressive squad.

This Beckford nonsense isn't actually going to stop until he's completely shit the bed at Everton, is it?

Maynard and Boyd are worth going for as replacements for Best and Lovenkrands though.

This Beckford nonsense isn't actually going to stop until he's completely shit the bed at Everton, is it?

Maynard and Boyd are worth going for as replacements for Best and Lovenkrands though.

Beckford is a potential target until he signs for another club, it's an option till then. Villa are apparently top of the pile now since Lerner has said he's cutting back on spending.

Would you offload Lovenkrands? I think his pace is useful, even if its as a sub.

Boyd's got some canny financial offers from Turkey, and an offer from boro lol.

Boyd is being offered over £40K a week apparently, on that sort of money i'd not be quick to sign him but he'd probably get 12 premier league goals in the right setup. Lovenkrands just doesn't impose himself well enough. We're going to need 11 players ready and waiting to scrap as well as use their ability next season. That isn't Lovenkrands at all imo. He usually needs 2 or chances to score too.

Boyd is being offered over £40K a week apparently, on that sort of money i'd not be quick to sign him but he'd probably get 12 premier league goals in the right setup. Lovenkrands just doesn't impose himself well enough. We're going to need 11 players ready and waiting to scrap as well as use their ability next season. That isn't Lovenkrands at all imo. He usually needs 2 or chances to score too.

I'd leave it at anything over £25k tbh, same with anyone who hasn't played in the Premiership.

I don't think we'd get anything for Lovenkrands, and reportedly his wages are low, therefore ideal back-up in my eyes. If we could get any money for him i'd sell him though, shifting Best is going to be monumental and a big challenge this summer. Probably a championship loan then given away the following year.

I think we should go for Senderos and Scharner for mid. Scharner has said his wants a midfield role and in the prem, i think he'd be a fantastic replacement for Butt.

Guest Heneage

We will see. The current crop of players will begin the season in a settled side that has a much better understanding of each other and a much better harmony as a squad. In an ideal world I'd like us to do our business quickly and efficently, times more so the season before last deas like the Coloccini one dragged. It be good for the new lads to have a full pre-season and lots of sessions with their new team-mates. I'm wary of doing business once the seasons started really.

Somewhere said that Hughton has scoured a list of 150 free transfers, so he'll definitely be aware of Boyd. And Boyd probably wont get a bigger club in for him....he'll have the choice of turkey, the championship, us and maybe birmingham. It just makes too much sense to get him. Thats the problem.

We will see. The current crop of players will begin the season in a settled side that has a much better understanding of each other and a much better harmony as a squad. In an ideal world I'd like us to do our business quickly and efficently, times more so the season before last deas like the Coloccini one dragged. It be good for the new lads to have a full pre-season and lots of sessions with their new team-mates. I'm wary of doing business once the seasons started really.

I just hope we don't fall in to the trap that because everyone else isn't making much noise with the WC coming along so we do them same. We shouldn't be shopping in the WC, we should know our targets now and working on deals before a ball is even kicked in anger at the WC.

Somewhere said that Hughton has scoured a list of 150 free transfers, so he'll definitely be aware of Boyd. And Boyd probably wont get a bigger club in for him....he'll have the choice of turkey, the championship, us and maybe birmingham. It just makes too much sense to get him. Thats the problem.

Locality has to be a huge factor as well, we should be top of his lists, he could probably still live in Scotland.

Guest Heneage

I don't think our major selling point (Big crowd) will entice him, I think he wants a bit more, stability and challenge in Europe that he didn't get with Rangers.

I don't think our major selling point (Big crowd) will entice him, I think he wants a bit more, stability and challenge in Europe that he didn't get with Rangers.

He won't get that at Birmingham or Boro or Turkey either.

All he can hope for is a step up in league quality to prove himself. ie the Prem, or get a shit load of money abroad playing in another piss league but this time getting a tan.

Guest Heneage

All he can hope for is a step up in league quality to prove himself. ie the Prem, or get a s*** load of money abroad playing in another piss league but this time getting a tan.

Depends where in Turkey. Off those 4 It's blatantly obvious where he will go, he seemed to have a good relationship with McLeish if memory serves.

All he can hope for is a step up in league quality to prove himself. ie the Prem, or get a s*** load of money abroad playing in another piss league but this time getting a tan.

Depends where in Turkey. Off those 4 It's blatantly obvious where he will go, he seemed to have a good relationship with McLeish if memory serves.

I forgot about that rather large link. Bastards.

I forgot about that rather large link. Bastards.

what we have is geography when it comes to boyd and thats it really, birmingham can match us for wages in all likelihood and mcleish had a good relationship with him plus barry ferguson is at birmingham and i think they were friends (or so i'm told by a rangers fan), if he doesn't go to birmingham ill be shocked tbh

Completely agree with last post. Boyd would be a disaster for us. Not as good as he thinks he is.

Don't remember him ever saying how good he was. He happily sat on the bench for many games last season despite being the top scorer.

Can't argue, he's a goal machine.

Boyd's record in Scotland is 2nd to none.

2005–06 17 17

2006–07 32 20

2007–08 28 14

2008–09 35 27

2009–10 32 23

There's no gurnatee's he do anything in the PL but with a scoring record like that, signing him on a free is a no brainer for me.

Guest toonlass

2005–06 17 17

2006–07 32 20

2007–08 28 14

2008–09 35 27

2009–10 32 23

There's no gurnatee's he do anything in the PL but with a scoring record like that, signing him on a free is a no brainer for me.

He would get more than Leon Best, that is one thing I know.

2005–06 17 17

2006–07 32 20

2007–08 28 14

2008–09 35 27

2009–10 32 23

Check his record against Celtic (only other half decent club in Scotland)

He's s***, no thanks.